• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for a "Top Activist" list

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A year or so ago, I was telling several people that I really needed to get a bigger book to keep my list of people I really hated in. Skidmark remarked that I could save a forest by keeping only the ones I deemed acceptable.

Since that time I've realized that with all the list making, a number of people continue to go about their business and not get the public recognition they deserve.

I thought it was time to start a TOP OC Activist thread and people can be added as it goes... a lot like the OC in * threads.

I'm going to start but I am not going to include some of the old hands. Grapeshot is unquestionably the top activist in the state but I'm not listing him because everyone knows it. Same with Skidmark and a few others. This is for the people that do a ton of work and are not board members or otherwise celebrities.

I have three that I'd like to start with and they are in no particular order.

Tfred
JMelvin
T33J

All three do lots of 2A work, quietly and efficiently, and without stirring up a lot of hard feelings.

There are others but I don't want to have to list everyone like Citizen (Hint for the next poster)

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hmmm.....Citizen. And Ed, gotta appreciate his work with providing carry cards at no cost. In addition, all the postcards he has sent for various people. Tess, she is at every VCDL event I have been too. Great source of information. And since Peter Nap won't nominate himself, I nominate him as well for his video work.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have you considered trying to FOIA the Homeland Secirity list(s) and just pasting names in here from there?

I mean, if someone's name is not on their list they certainly don't make the cut for your list, right?:uhoh:

In the meantime, I'd like to nominate Billy Goat Gruff and the County Squire. Those two have done perhaps more in the last year to make Virginians aware of their rights than almost anybody else. Sort of like how Dear Leader has made Gun Salesman of the Month for almost two years running.

stay safe.

Marco

There's so many I could list:

Skidmark
Grapeshot
user-even thought he usually CC's
VCDL pres.
IanB
Bulldog????-Matt
Pourshot

No order just as they came to me, there are more but I'll leave that for others.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Skidmark
Grapeshot
VCDL pres.
IanB
Bulldog????-Matt
Pourshot

No order just as they came to me, there are more but I'll leave that for others.

We were discussing this at breakfast this morning and not so amazingly, your name came up.

So, I'll make it formal. I nominate Agent19 for the list.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We were discussing this at breakfast this morning and not so amazingly, your name came up.

So, I'll make it formal. I nominate Agent19 for the list.

stay safe.

Sorry...been tied up all day.

Thanks for the vote but I'm not in the running.
I'm more of a loose cannon,

Scratch that......sugar was tanking bad when I read it. I missed Agent's name in there,,,,soooooo

+1 for AGENT19

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I want to nominate my good friend, Danladi Moore, aka Danbus. Though he rearely posts anymore, he is still an active OC'er, and more to the point, was one of THE MOST effective activists for this cause in the earlier years (2008-2009) when things were quite a bit rougher than they are now. As a "young black male" he knew very well that he would come up against those for whom OC was bad enough, but being a black man with a gun (BMWAG) was an even greater offense. He went through some very harrowing experiences for our movement, including being held at gunpoint by two very angry and threatening Norfolk cops, who ultimately had to let him go since there was nothing they could charge him with, but told him if he continued, they would harrass and intimidate him again. He went through some other frightening events with his usual aplomb, polite and civil behavior, and good cheer. He saw OC as a true civil rights movement and treated it as such, so he was always out there doing, actually putting himself in harms way and making himself the object of anger and intimidation. He didn't have a chip on his shoulder, he just went about OCing the way many of you do now routinely every day. There were people from all over the country who were following some of his sagas here, rooting for him, and collectively yelling "Yessss!" when he won his famous $15,000 settlement with Norfolk for the above incident. Those of us who have met him personally know him as an intelligent, well-spoken yourng man who, despite his pleasant, happy-go-lucky demeanor, had real fire in his belly for our cause. Although he is no longer active with us, he was a true trail blazer and an example to us all, a man who emboldened us to to keep on pushing, even against difficult odds. Much of what we now take for granted was not so until after Danbus made his mark on our community.

After this brief hagiography, I hope some of you newer people will be encouraged to read some of his exploits and get a sense of some of the edge-of-the-chair threads typical of the "early days" of OC in Tidewater. I'm sure Grapeshot, Skidmark, Phil Van Cleave and others who have been here a while and have met Danbus will agree with my comments and second my motion. He is truly a "Top Activist"!

nova

Skidmark
Grapeshot
VCDL pres.
IanB
Bulldog????-Matt
Pourshot

Bulldog1967 :)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter nap,

You're still in the running, like it or not. I nominated you in the first response to this thread :D

Thanks anyway SD, but really, leave me out. This is for the non showboaters. They are who will keep our state worth living in because they, (you) are the mass voting population. One person alone can't carry all the weight.

I thought long and hard about not including the BIG guns like Grapeshot in this, but the simple truth is he and his peers are recognized everyday.

I figured it was time to give a little fame to the members that work hard on righting wrongs, but don't get a lot of recognition. (Look at the information and advice people like Tfred and Jmelvin and Citizen give or the databases that are put together, pictures of signs, etc).

Everyone knows Ed sends postcards, but do they know who made a database of national parks, forests and cemeteries or more recently, local laws?

Hopefully, this thread will help newcomers see some of the work being done and by who.

Last edited:

Thundar

I want to nominate my good friend, Danladi Moore, aka Danbus. Though he rearely posts anymore, he is still an active OC'er, and more to the point, was one of THE MOST effective activists for this cause in the earlier years (2008-2009) when things were quite a bit rougher than they are now. As a "young black male" he knew very well that he would come up against those for whom OC was bad enough, but being a black man with a gun (BMWAG) was an even greater offense. He went through some very harrowing experiences for our movement, including being held at gunpoint by two very angry and threatening Norfolk cops, who ultimately had to let him go since there was nothing they could charge him with, but told him if he continued, they would harrass and intimidate him again. He went through some other frightening events with his usual aplomb, polite and civil behavior, and good cheer. He saw OC as a true civil rights movement and treated it as such, so he was always out there doing, actually putting himself in harms way and making himself the object of anger and intimidation. He didn't have a chip on his shoulder, he just went about OCing the way many of you do now routinely every day. There were people from all over the country who were following some of his sagas here, rooting for him, and collectively yelling "Yessss!" when he won his famous $15,000 settlement with Norfolk for the above incident. Those of us who have met him personally know him as an intelligent, well-spoken yourng man who, despite his pleasant, happy-go-lucky demeanor, had real fire in his belly for our cause. Although he is no longer active with us, he was a true trail blazer and an example to us all, a man who emboldened us to to keep on pushing, even against difficult odds. Much of what we now take for granted was not so until after Danbus made his mark on our community.

After this brief hagiography, I hope some of you newer people will be encouraged to read some of his exploits and get a sense of some of the edge-of-the-chair threads typical of the "early days" of OC in Tidewater. I'm sure Grapeshot, Skidmark, Phil Van Cleave and others who have been here a while and have met Danbus will agree with my comments and second my motion. He is truly a "Top Activist"!

Danbus was a fantastic activist from a different era.

Back then, the PO-lice in Norfolk were not our friends and we all had great thrills goint to Norfolk City Council meetings open carrying. LEO 229 would egg us all on and these boards were alive with debate and passion. (I thought some were going to have a stroke when LEO 229 was made a moderator.) Heller was powerful medicine for all of us.

Those were the good old days Dutch. Wish we could stir up half that passion for finishing the job, but I think that those days were our high water mark.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip---

Those were the good old days Dutch. Wish we could stir up half that passion for finishing the job, but I think that those days were our high water mark.

I think the best is yet to come - carrying in college buildings, clarifying the "courthouse" issue, and putting teeth/penalties in our preemption law amongst the first that come to mind.

Perhaps these heretofore behind the scenes activists might be referred to as Virginia's Unsung OC Heroes - they serve our community well and provide models of activism for both newbies and old hands alike. Indeed, they should be recognized and our thanks given for their efforts.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Following Peter's advice I will nominate Sesrun for his recent hard work creating a statewide spreadsheet of laws and regulations. I appreciate him taking the time and his willingness to share it with the rest of us.

ODA 226

There are hundreds of us here that "talk the talk and walk the walk" for 2A and OC rights...is this really necessary? Most of us here know who the hard-core activists are.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are hundreds of us here that "talk the talk and walk the walk" for 2A and OC rights...is this really necessary? Most of us here know who the hard-core activists are.

No. it isn't necessary ODA. Neither is much of what is put up here including the trash pick up across from your new house. Is there there a reason it bothers you?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Being one of those barred from being nominated I think I can speak freely about the necessity of the list.

Yes, it is necessary.

I do not think that we are in this for the recognition (well, except for one or two people, and if they get nominated it will probably be for something besides what they do in order to generate recognition). As a matter of fact I'd be willing to wager that most of us would prefer to not be nominated for the list - probably because we feel we are not all that "special" and "outstanding" and "important". We go about our lives and OC just happens to be one part of that.

If I am guessing correctly the reason for the list is that there are some folks who have been quietly doing some things to move the OC "movement" along and it's about time someone said something about it.

stay safe.