• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time for a "Top Activist" list

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In keeping with my post above, I'm going to throw another name in the ring. Someone who has been quietly plugging away to make Open Carry the norm as opposed to the unusual, and who may be responsible for more people accepting OC without panicing and making MWAG calls than anybody else.

Our own hlh.

Lee started the OC dinners years ago with, if I recall the story properly, just one other person. It started off slowly and then suddenly bloomed and blossomed, as well as throwing off runners and shoots across the Commonwealth to the point that it's pretty hard not to find a regularly scheduled OC dinner somewhere east of the mountains. In all that time the only thing I've ever heard him ask for was that wherever the dinners be held, they not serve okra.

At times he's been teased mightily about that, and maybe twice someine has tried to slip a can of okra onto his place at the table. But month after month he rounds us up and brings us together for fellowship and food. And others, having seen what he was doing, gladly copied his plan (except most of them do not outright ban okra).

Sorry I almost forgot you, buddy.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Recognition and thank you's are too far between in both our society and within our group. It is good to point out these "quiet activists" and to show them that their efforts are appreciated.

The fact that there are so many deserving of such recognition should not deter us from adding them to the list - it is a testiment to the many fine people within our group and the state. They serve as shining examples of how and what good stewards of OC and RKBA are - hopefully others will emulate them.

Let the list grow!

CHILINVLN

I'm not saying it bothers me. I just questioned the necessity of it, that's all.

This thread serves about as much purpose as when someone says "thank you" to someone else in passing or after having an interaction. Is it REALLY necessary? No. Does it serve a purpose? Absolutely.

With that said, I think Ed should be on the list given his exposure in the public light and involvement in the community.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This thread serves about as much purpose as when someone says "thank you" to someone else in passing or after having an interaction. Is it REALLY necessary? No. Does it serve a purpose? Absolutely.

With that said, I think Ed should be on the list given his exposure in the public light and involvement in the community.

If it serves no purpose, why are you wasting bandwidth.

No, ED fits in the same category as Grapeshot and Skidmark!

No...on second thought, I didn't put it up to start another ******* match. Mods, delete the ******* thing please!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

No...on second thought, I didn't put it up to start another ******* match. Mods, delete the ******* thing please!

Peter Nap,

You had a great idea and started a great thread. Don't let a couple people bother you.

To those who don't like the thread or don't see it's purpose: Simple solution, stop reading and don't post! Let the thread be used by those who might appreciate it.

CHILINVLN

Re-read my post. I was SUPPORTING THIS THREAD. The point I was making is - it's a courteous thing to do to say something nice once in a while to those who are deserving, for the same reason we say "thank you".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Re-read my post. I was SUPPORTING THIS THREAD. The point I was making is - it's a courteous thing to do to say something nice once in a while to those who are deserving, for the same reason we say "thank you".

Sorry, long unimportant story but I'm having some issues this week. Seeing is one of them.
I'm a little more short tempered than usual.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is no rule violation with this thread nor is it OT regarding OC or RKBA. Peter, threads become as much the "property" of secondary posters as that of the OP so I conclude that deleting it would be inappropriate.

More to the point of your frustration, IMO open, public dissension is contrary to the spirit of OCDO and may in some cases be considered personal attacks - therefore caution is urged. A single post in disagreement is acceptable, but a personal "campaign" to refute it not.

There is no "necessary" requirement, neither in specific rule nor within the spirit and intent of this forum. The thread will remain - it is a meet and right so to do.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Ed Levine should have made the list in the first post.

Ed Levine
Paul
Dale
the guy that created VGOF
Phillip

Honorary mention - T Dubya :) & Peter Nap

Last edited: