• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OCing In YUMA

Impala64

This is my first post on this website, I am new to OCing and live in Yuma, AZ. I was wanting to know if anyone has had any problems OCing in this area, i still feel nervous about it. I am Active Duty Military (12 1/2yrs) handling weapons is a common thing for me, but walking around open with it is what is getting me. I mailed my CCW package in this past Wed. Any advice from anyone will be great help. Thanks..

JesseL

This is my first post on this website, I am new to OCing and live in Yuma, AZ. I was wanting to know if anyone has had any problems OCing in this area, i still feel nervous about it. I am Active Duty Military (12 1/2yrs) handling weapons is a common thing for me, but walking around open with it is what is getting me. I mailed my CCW package in this past Wed. Any advice from anyone will be great help. Thanks..

Just checking here - You're aware that in AZ concealed carry is legal without a permit too, right?

I wouldn't anticipate any problems with OC in Yuma though.

azcdlfred

I am new to OCing and live in Yuma, AZ. I still feel nervous about it. Any advice from anyone will be great help.
That feeling that everyone is noticing you is all in your head.

The conscious mind can only see what it is programmed to look for. Most people walk around in HUB (Head Up Butt) mode (aka Condition White). As long as you don't bring attention to yourself your gun generally will not be noticed.

Don't touch your pistol or develop that "fugitive" look of swiveling your head around around and glaring at everyone to see if you are being watched - if you do, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and you will be noticed.

Fred

Last edited:

Impala64

Yes I am aware that you can conceal carry without, I wanted to get mine since I travel so much and would just like to have it for when I go out to dinner and be legal.

I learned a long time ago to keep my hands off my weapon as to not draw attention to myself, and being in the military I have a clean and professional look about myself. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

March Hare

Welcome to the board and Arizona.

For the most part, just relax and go with the flow, most people won't even notice and those that do, probably won't care!

Be careful when you go out to dinner, if they serve alcohol for consumption on the premises and they've posted a no firearms sign, you can not carry, even with your concealed carry permit.
You certainly can NOT drink in the restaurant if you're carrying!

-MH

edited to add clarification.

Last edited:

Malcolm

The first week was like that for me too.

Fred's right though. It really is all in your head. I open carry everyday with a full size stainless 1911 in a blackhawk holster and I'm 5'4. And for the most part no one notices. I stopped feeling weird when I stopped caring what anyone else thought. I've been getting a few more looks lately though. I started to carry crossdraw and the gun sticks out a lot more now. every once in awhile though I'll walk into a place and I can feel the tension in the room and people are looking at me. It doesn't bother me though, I just say hello to someone and smile at them. and the tension goes away in a few minutes. today for example I was getting my car fixed and everyone in the waiting area eyed me. one guy asked if my gun was glock (right?) So we struck up a conversation about 1911's and carry in general. Any way I wish you the best of luck in your carrying endeavors. And thank you for taking on the responsibility for your safety and those around you.

God bless Arizona

Freiheit417

For the most part, just relax and go with the flow, most people won't even notice and those that do, probably won't care!

Be careful when you go out to dinner, if they serve alcohol for consumption on the premises and they've posted a no firearms sign, you can not carry, even with your concealed carry permit.
You certainly can NOT drink if you're carrying!

-MH

Hello all in Arizona,

It is my understanding that AZ recognizes pistol permits/licenses from all other states per AZDPS.gov. As such, I would assume any out-of-state permit would allow CC/OC in premises that serve alcohol as long as one is not a resident of AZ. Am I correct?

Thank you.

March Hare

Hello all in Arizona,

It is my understanding that AZ recognizes pistol permits/licenses from all other states per AZDPS.gov. As such, I would assume any out-of-state permit would allow CC/OC in premises that serve alcohol as long as one is not a resident of AZ. Am I correct?

Thank you.

Arizona recognizes other states permits, but doesn't require a permit to carry openly or discretely

When you are in a state, you are subject to the laws of that state.

So:

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Openly carrying a firearm into a restaurant/bar/pub etc that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises is a violation of AZ law regardless of any permits for discrete carry you posses.

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely, but if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/documents/instructors_ccw_legal.pdf
It's the best free resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
Thanks Fred!

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems during your stay, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or a question about the caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Last edited:

azcdlfred

All permits are recognized per ARS 13-3112.Q.
You may not carry "concealed" if you are under 21 regardless of what your permit says.

ARS 4-229, which covers carrying firearms where liquor is sold for consumption, references having a permit issued purusuant to ARS 13-3112, which recognizes out of state permits for those 21 and older.

Open carry where alcohol is served is forbidden.

If the establishment does not have a "no firearms" sign posted, you may carry concealed and cannot consume alcohol.

There is no distinction between places that serve booze. If you want to hang out in some sleezy dive that only serves stale peanuts, you can carry as long as there is no sign posted, you are carrying discreetly, and you don't have a drink.

Fred

wrightme

You certainly can NOT drink if you're carrying!
-MH

Is that for at a restaurant, or is there statute that denies drinking while armed? Is there a legal limit placed upon intoxication while armed?

Freiheit417

MH,

Thank you for the clarification. I thought AZ recently removed the restriction on carrying openly in an establishment that serves alcohol, but perhaps I was confusing that with the (somewhat) recent change allowing CC in said places. I am over 21, never drink when carrying and have permits/licenses from three states, so it seems I would be covered in such an establishment as long as there are no signs conforming to ARS 4-229.

Are there a lot of restaurants (that also happen to serve alcohol) posted "no carry" or is it mostly bars?

Thank you again.

azcdlfred

I thought AZ recently removed the restriction on carrying openly in an establishment that serves alcohol
Arizona has a lousy Restaurant Carry law, but it used to be even worse. Until 2009, state law prohibited guns where alcohol was served. The sponsor of the bill had been trying for over a decade to get a Restaurant Carry bill passed and the Liquor Lobby spent lots of money fighting it.

Unfortunately, when the bill passed, it linked concealed carry (where booze is served) to possession of a permit :(

The very next year (2010) Constitutional Carry was passed, eliminating the requirement to get government permission to carry discreetly.

However, a permit is still required where alcohol is served.

Improving Resturant Carry (it's one of AzCDL's goals) will be challenging.

Fred

Last edited:

March Hare

Is that for at a restaurant, or is there statute that denies drinking while armed? Is there a legal limit placed upon intoxication while armed?

Hi,
Sorry about that, that line was pretty vague, that rule is for restaurant carry where they serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.

If they serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, you can only carry if you have a permit, you must carry concealed and you can not consume alcohol.
If they serve alcohol and have signs posted prohibiting firearms, you can not legally carry even if you have a permit and your firearm is concealed.

Open carry in those establishments is illegal.

I made an edit to that post, I hope it helps.

-MH