• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a police department

SovereignAxe

So I just got my TN HCP last week and just started carrying. My fiancee's father is a cop with the Newland PD, and whenever we make a visit to Newland we usually stop by and say hey to him. He and I get along pretty well, so I doubt he'd have a problem with me carrying into their department office. However, sometimes he's not the only one in the office and I'm not sure how everyone else would feel about it.

So my question is-is it legal in NC to carry into a PD office as a civvie? I know they don't have a sign on the door, and would definitely take my weapon back to my car if they asked me to, but as a matter of convenience, could I legally walk in and leave it on my hip without asking?

btw, the NC flyer sticky thread doesn't have a link to a flyer. I looked there first.

spiderjohn

So I just got my TN HCP last week and just started carrying. My fiancee's father is a cop with the Newland PD, and whenever we make a visit to Newland we usually stop by and say hey to him. He and I get along pretty well, so I doubt he'd have a problem with me carrying into their department office. However, sometimes he's not the only one in the office and I'm not sure how everyone else would feel about it.

So my question is-is it legal in NC to carry into a PD office as a civvie? I know they don't have a sign on the door, and would definitely take my weapon back to my car if they asked me to, but as a matter of convenience, could I legally walk in and leave it on my hip without asking?

btw, the NC flyer sticky thread doesn't have a link to a flyer. I looked there first.

i'm not sure about your question but I was wondering about showing up to the sheriff's office in my county to do my CHP paperwork while open carrying. Would like to hear what folks say. From my quick research, I think it might not be legal but depends on the county. Not really sure.

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
DO NOT carry into any police/sheriff station in NC. It is most definitely illegal. Mode of carry (OC/CC) is irrelevant. I'd get you a statute reference, but I'm posting from my cellphone right now. I'll dig it up later if no one beats me to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
§ 14415.11

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14269.2, 14269.3, 14269.4, and 14277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 12032.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility,

I know it is CC specific, but considering how well our LEOs know their firearms laws, I think it would be a very bad idea to OC into a police station. I don't think anyone is going to care when you explain that the law technically only prohibits CC there.

If you want to be a test case, go for it. I'll pray for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

papa bear

there is a no firearms sign on the sheriffs office door, on the town police there is a sign against concealed carry, but some think that means no carry. the NC law allows for local municipality to make the rules. though there is no actual law against carry into a LEA, it is illegal to carry in to a correctional facility. i know the sheriff office is connected to the jail

of coarse it depends a lot on your future FNL's standing in the dept. i have often notice a cronyism exists in every gov. dept.

M

mattwestm

The Pitt County courthouse has a "no concealed" firearms sign outside. The sheriff's office is inside. I'm not willing to try OC though.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've wondered, from time to time, whether North Carolina shouldn't have been called, "South Maryland". But then that may just be a reflection of my jaundiced view as a Virginian.

M

mattwestm

I've wondered, from time to time, whether North Carolina shouldn't have been called, "South Maryland". But then that may just be a reflection of my jaundiced view as a Virginian.

Sometimes NC does make me wonder... Other states in the south don't have these restrictive laws. Pretty much every state down here has carry in restaurants. Hopefully my next state won't be so restrictive.

SovereignAxe

there is a no firearms sign on the sheriffs office door, on the town police there is a sign against concealed carry, but some think that means no carry. the NC law allows for local municipality to make the rules. though there is no actual law against carry into a LEA, it is illegal to carry in to a correctional facility. i know the sheriff office is connected to the jail

of coarse it depends a lot on your future FNL's standing in the dept. i have often notice a cronyism exists in every gov. dept.

oh most definitely. The fiancee and I, back before we got engaged, went up to the top of a hill in town in an upscale neighborhood to watch the sunset (amazing view-we could see for miles). At one point a cop came up to ask us who we were and what we were doing. She dropped her dad's name and the officer was like, Oh! Ok, well you two have a nice evening, and walked away lol. He almost seemed to get fear in his voice at that point.

Sometimes NC does make me wonder... Other states in the south don't have these restrictive laws. Pretty much every state down here has carry in restaurants. Hopefully my next state won't be so restrictive.

hey, just be glad you guys don't HAVE to get a permit to carry. In TN I had to pay $115 + class fees to get permission to carry a gun period-open or concealed

xmanhockey7

If the statue for carrying in a police department only mentions concealed and other statues for carry mention openly or concealed why couldn't you open carry there? In Michigan those who have a CPL can open carry in most all concealed pistol free zones because the CPL statue only regulates concealed firearms.

papa bear

If the statue for carrying in a police department only mentions concealed and other statues for carry mention openly or concealed why couldn't you open carry there? In Michigan those who have a CPL can open carry in most all concealed pistol free zones because the CPL statue only regulates concealed firearms.

i didn't say these guys wasn't ignorant :rolleyes:. this is the same place the chief of police told me that citizens have too many rights :banghead:

ArmySoldier22

Well TECHNICALLY "lol" from my understanding, you hypothetically could open carry into a police station legally. Whether or not you walk back out the same day is another story. Most of us know how LEO's can be as far as open carrying goes. Although things have come a long way, most LEO's I meet have no issue with open carry at all, there are still those dumbass ones out there who want to see us all stripped of our rights. A police station is just one of those places that somebody would have to test the waters with and see how things end up. I, for one, don't think I'm going to volunteer on this test case lol.