• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago police must pay 330k for home raid

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
A federal jury says Chicago law enforcement must pay $330,000 to a family after officers shot their dog during a home raid that turned up no illegal activity.

This is wonderful news. Hopefully once shooting dogs goes out of style we who carry in our homes might be made a bit safer as well.

"According to NBC, the jury awarded $175,000 to Russell, $85,000 to his little brother, and $35,000 each to the brothers' parents. The officer who shot the dog owes $2,000 in damages, and his supervisor owes $1,000, according to NBC."

That will make an impact!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't know this for a fact, but I'll bet shooting the dog had something to do with it.

Lotsa mistaken raids happen, very little accountability. The Good Faith Exception is the equivalent of saying "good enough for government work."

However, shoot a loveable Lab, when it isn't even being aggressive, and you've stood yourself out as a beast.

Dreamer

The officer who shot the dog has to pay $2000?

He can make that up with one trip to the drug evidence locker....

eye95

I am waiting to hear IF those assessed the damages ACTUALLY PAY the damages!

Many public employees are covered against large civil settlements incurred during the course of public employment. I don't know if such is the case for these officers, but it is entirely possible that they will pay the damages, but not be out-of-pocket a single dime. If they have such coverage, at least one of the following consequences should be assessed: the officers lose coverage, the premiums for coverage are no longer paid by the city or union, the city or union reduces the share of premiums that it pays, or the insurance company raises premiums, with the officers paying the difference.

Deanimator

Many public employees are covered against large civil settlements incurred during the course of public employment. I don't know if such is the case for these officers, but it is entirely possible that they will pay the damages, but not be out-of-pocket a single dime. If they have such coverage, at least one of the following consequences should be assessed: the officers lose coverage, the premiums for coverage are no longer paid by the city or union, the city or union reduces the share of premiums that it pays, or the insurance company raises premiums, with the officers paying the difference.
It depends upon whether the damages are punitive in nature or not.

Chicago cops are NOT indemnified from punitive damages.

markand

I wonder how long the appeals process will drag on before the family actually sees some money.

eye95

It depends upon whether the damages are punitive in nature or not.

Chicago cops are NOT indemnified from punitive damages.

Cite? Do you know what insurance the do or do not have?

Admittedly, I don't know. However, the strong possibility exists that these cops will not have to pay a single dime out of their own pockets. Between the union, the PBA, and possibly even the city, they likely have some protection.

Deanimator

Cite? Do you know what insurance the do or do not have?

Admittedly, I don't know. However, the strong possibility exists that these cops will not have to pay a single dime out of their own pockets. Between the union, the PBA, and possibly even the city, they likely have some protection.
The SecondCityCop Blog has stated that they are not indemnified for punitive damages. This has been cited as one reason why the city has frequently settled in the past, to avoid trials in which individual Chicago cops could be found liable for substantial punitive damages.

eye95

The SecondCityCop Blog has stated that they are not indemnified for punitive damages. This has been cited as one reason why the city has frequently settled in the past, to avoid trials in which individual Chicago cops could be found liable for substantial punitive damages.

"Not indemnified for punitive damages" may merely mean that the city will not pay for them, not necessarily that they will have to pay out of their own pockets.

Deanimator

"Not indemnified for punitive damages" may merely mean that the city will not pay for them, not necessarily that they will have to pay out of their own pockets.
Where else would the money come from?

The plain meaning of what I read was that the individual cop was on the hook for the punitive damages.

This came into play when Officer (later promoted to Detective) Alvin Weems was found civilly liable (along with the city) for $4.3 million for the unjustified shooting of an unarmed, unresisting, not under arrest man, Michael Pleasance. Weems recently committed suicide.

Last edited:

eye95

Where else would the money come from?

The plain meaning of what I read was that the individual cop was on the hook for the punitive damages.

This came into play when Officer (later promoted to Detective) Alvin Weems was found civilly liable (along with the city) for $4.3 million for the unjustified shooting of an unarmed, unresisting, not under arrest man, Michael Pleasance. Weems recently committed suicide.

Public employees are often protected by an insurance policy either provided by the government entity for which they work, their union, or themselves. When I was a public school teacher, such insurance was provided to me at no cost. It protected me from civil judgments. I suspect that the officers had such insurance, which will likely pay the judgment against them.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I am content with the market selling insurance to officers for this type of situation. Those officers who make either consistently or dramatically poor decisions will see their rates climb just as poor drivers do.
They'll pay eventually or they'll give up that type of career. Gotta love the market working.