• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone going to the selfridge airshow tomorrow

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I can't really associate the modern airforce even slightly with freedom. They're an offensive force which lately fights offensive wars without them even being declared as required by our constitution. But it's still fun to go. There is nothing quite like A10 Warthogs, and Selfridge luckily has tons of them. And WWII planes! My God how cool!

+1 on the constitution
the warthog demonstration was minimal, but i live on the river and they do low altitude flybys every day

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
As I recall the Rhodesian Army did jumps from 500 feet, maybe even a tad less. Seems like even if you don't get slowed down all the way, it might be kind of like a bad motorcycle accident where the armor might save your life and leave you paralyzed, as opposed to dead with no protection. But then I've never gone skydiving, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping
a
ccording to the article his fall MAY have been survivable with a static line, but his style of stunt precludes him from being attached to one aircraft by a line since he has to switch
safety equipment would have made the stunt less interesting, sadly

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Can't argue with that. And yes, the warthog is a bas@$$. I just might go, if they start doing live fire demonstrations though.

Go hang around Grayling in late July.

Steel Magnolia & I were fishing the North Branch of the AuSable when off to our west, we hear brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm, brrrrrrrrroooommmmmmmmmm.

Then soon after, they came over our position under 1000 feet, banking hard to the west for another strafing run. :uhoh:

And I'm thinking, 'These fish aren't that tough; who called in the airstrike?'

Then, I hear a bunch of crashing around in the brush alongside my position, and I came down with a severe case of bearanoia:uhoh: No little green men around our position....

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm just wondering if some "anti-airplane" group is going to try to ban stunts at airshows... after all, someone died! (sarcasm)

Just want to let you know that I have just formed CCADADS. Concerned Citizens Against Dangerous Aerial Daredevil Stunts. The time has come to save our children from the horrifying effects of watching people do crazy stunts in the sky and falling to their deaths. Millions of lives will be saved by our actions. Airplanes are even capable of killing people all on their own while sitting motionless on the ground and should never be flown by anyone than a government employee.

See, it is not that hard to come up with stupid groups. I just took Bloomberg's group and applied it airplanes. :D