• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Verizon Stores in Brighton and Aurora!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I've seen some threads on the OCDO forum talking about folks running into trouble with openly carrying at Verizon stores. This strikes me as odd, considering I've been in Verizon stores in Aurora and Brighton and nobody gave me any hassle whatsoever.

I visited the store in Brighton about a month ago, and checked out what's new because our contract was running out soon, and we would be eligible to upgrade our gear. They answered my questions, treated me with courtesy and respect, and made no fuss about my sidearm.

While out and about one day off within the last week, I stopped at a Verizon store in Aurora. I got my name on a list and had to wait my turn. When it finally came, a sales associate who was quite knowledgable took terrific care of me and the questions I had. He handed me off to a young man who took my order for two brand new Droid 3 phones and accessories to go with them. He put in my order and afterward I thanked him for his excellent service and also for his respect for my 2a right to carry. He then told me he was interested in handguns for personal defense and the whole topic of concealed carry. But no fuss was made about my sidearm.

Then, after our phones arrived, I took the whole bunch of products with me to the Brighton store so they could help get the phones programmed, activated and some apps up and running for me. I especially wanted them to put plastic screen protectors on for me because I have tried those in the past and learned I ain't got any particular knack for getting them right.

While they worked on my questions and getting the phones squared away, the gal behind the counter (who waited on me the last time I came into their store) said "Where is our gun tonight? You didn't bring it?" I stepped back from the counter and pointed in the direction of my left hip. "Here it is right here. I don't go anywhere without it." A woman at the next station at the counter asked "Are you a cop or what?" I responded that I am not a police officer, but a law abiding citizen prepared to cope with those who aren't particularly interested in being law abiding!

The short story is, nobody made a fuss. In fact, the gal waiting on me seemed almost sorry that I didn't have my pistol, which of course I did. They handled my business with excellent service and I received great customer service while there. They walked me to the door after our transaction, and I was already aware they did that with each customer they served. So my experience was terrific, and no fuss about my gun.

So now I am really curious why some other folks have trouble at the Verizon store they visit, but I've had nothing but positive interaction with Verizon associates. What could be the difference? Wonder if each store simply does their own thing as they see fit? Or do they behave differently depending on whether they know the customer or not. The guy in Aurora didn't know me from Adam, but I got great service there too. Could it possibly hinge on the demeanor of the customer who is carrying? I don't know. As a rule, I entertain people wherever I go and always leave them laughing. But if there is a corporate policy, why are my results different from the experience others have talked about on the OCDO forum?

Regardless, I am surely enjoying my new phone!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Everytime I deal with Verizon, I do so in person, even just to pay the bill. So, at least once a month I carry into one of their stores. Usually I go to the one here in Belmar. Never have I had any hassle at all there with my firearm.

Baked on Grease

It's against verizon wireless store 'policy' to carry firearms in their locations. This means that you only get hassled when someone makes an issue of it, and they can then say it's store policy.

If everyone there is cool about it they won't care what the policy is, but some of us live in more ... sensitive areas where some people inisist it's illegal and will make themselves into loud a-holes to prove their point.

Sent using tapatalk

xd shooter

It's against verizon wireless store 'policy' to carry firearms in their locations. This means that you only get hassled when someone makes an issue of it, and they can then say it's store policy.

Exactly. While I MAY be able to walk into my local Verizon Store OC'ing, they have a Stated Corporate Policy against it. I suppose then that the argument could be made that since I am aware of the no gun policy, I could be trespassing...

mahkagari

If everyone there is cool about it they won't care what the policy is, but some of us live in more ... sensitive areas where some people inisist it's illegal and will make themselves into loud a-holes to prove their point.

Sent using tapatalk

¡Que viva Colorado!

M-Taliesin

The real question is, were you CC when she asked why you didn't have it? Or did she just not notice that you were OC?

Howdy Trapper!
I certainly was open carrying when she asked me about it, and seemed a bit surprised at herself that she had not noticed it beforehand. After all, I'd been in the store for about 30 minutes waiting for my turn at the counter, so she had plenty of opportunity to see it. While waiting my turn, I walked around and looked at various displays. She just flat missed it.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
She just flat missed it.

That's not uncommon. The first time I OCd at my parents' home I cooked dinner with my Mom. She didn't notice it for about half an hour, either, and she's usually very observant.

Some folks notice right away. Others not at all. Most are somewhere between.

I've noticed the setting is the most critical factor with respect to when others notice I'm OCing.