Thread: open carry walmart stories?

open carry walmart stories?

I have heard people tell some interesting tales while open carrying at walmart. I'm not sure why walmart seems to generate such tales, but anyone got any? I OC'd at west bend walmart today without issue, so I have nothing to contribute. lol

Only once have I had an issue. An Assistant Store Manager who had just transfered from a supervisor position in a distribution center thought that employee policies applied to customers as well. He got educated.

The few incidents that I hear about are just Store Managers who like to make up policy, or believe the employee policies applyto customers. That gets worked out everytime..

First off, I can speak to Walmart policy having been an Operations Manager there for five years. The official policy is to follow state law. This means if it is legal in the state it is okay in Walmart. The managers are not supposed to treat carrying customers any differently. Some managers (I had to correct quite a few over the years) try to inject their personal beliefs and make up their own policies. Walmart is very strict when it comes to enforcing policies. I will offer the following advice if anyone encounters a problem at Walmart. 1. Try to solve the problem by contacting the store manager first. Store managers will do just about anything to keep a customer complaint from reaching the district level. 2. If that doesn't work, call or email the main Walmart line and mention that you continue to have a problem with the store manager. This will elevate it directly to the district manager. I can almost guarantee the issue won't have to any further than that. 3. I for some asinine reason the district manager is unhelpful, call again and ask to be elevated to the regional vice-president. If it gets that far the store manager is probably getting fired, no joke.

That being said I have carried at many Walmarts in VA without an issue.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    First off, I can speak to Walmart policy having been an Operations Manager there for five years. The official policy is to follow state law. This means if it is legal in the state it is okay in Walmart. The managers are not supposed to treat carrying customers any differently. Some managers (I had to correct quite a few over the years) try to inject their personal beliefs and make up their own policies. Walmart is very strict when it comes to enforcing policies. I will offer the following advice if anyone encounters a problem at Walmart. 1. Try to solve the problem by contacting the store manager first. Store managers will do just about anything to keep a customer complaint from reaching the district level. 2. If that doesn't work, call or email the main Walmart line and mention that you continue to have a problem with the store manager. This will elevate it directly to the district manager. I can almost guarantee the issue won't have to any further than that. 3. I for some asinine reason the district manager is unhelpful, call again and ask to be elevated to the regional vice-president. If it gets that far the store manager is probably getting fired, no joke.

is this for WI only? Well, I've been banned from my local Walmart... actually, my pistol was banned, both OC and Concealed. I did everything you've suggested and I still can't carry there. The statement I received from everyone I've contacted was that, yes, they follow state law BUT a manager always has the right to ban firearms if they feel that it is scaring people. BTW, since the issue of presentability always seems to come up when I discuss this, I'm 43 years old, I was dressed business casual-polo shirt & dockers, short hair, am clean shaven (except a well-manicured goatee), have a license to conceal, and have never displayed any aggression towards anyone while OC or not. Not saying that you are lying, just that my local Walmart thinks differently. My policy now is to not ever step foot in another Walmart again, not allow any items purchased at Walmart in my home or anywhere else that I have control over, and I spend the few hundred dollars a month I used to spend there at other stores who support my desire to OC. I'd even be willing to spend my money at an establishment that is "anti" before I spend a dime at anyplace which lies about their policies..."We follow state law BUT... not really...."
    Last edited by DrTodd; 08-20-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Wow, I would have to say that is the exception especially if you elevated it up the chain. Perhaps the store manager was making up a story for his superiors. No this is not Virginia specific, Walmart has nationwide policies for all stores. There are a few exceptions based on differences in state law but everyone follows the set corporate policies. Were there any kind of extenuating circumstances? Unfortunately, I no longer with with Walmart or I would offer to help you out. I do know the policy for banning individuals is extremely narrow, it should only be used in instances of violence or repeated theft. Has it been more than a year? Walmart ban notices are only valid for a year.

DrTodd,

I would suspect you have encountered a WalMart manager that need to be replaced. As thebigsd stated, next step is the regional VP and your manager probems should be gone.

OC/CC is not a problem in WA, abide state law is company policy.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    DrTodd,

I would suspect you have encountered a WalMart manager that need to be replaced. As thebigsd stated, next step is the regional VP and your manager probems should be gone.

OC/CC is not a problem in WA, abide state law is company policy.
    Been there, done that. The fact that they are a corporate sponsor of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, coupled with my experience, has taught me that they aren't a friend of firearm owners. In fact, I know that by spending my money there only supports those who choose to deny individuals of their right to bear arms. So, having communicated with all levels of management listed, and my aforementioned statement, have convinced me it is what it is, and I happily take my money elsewhere.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....tnership.shtml
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Why aren't they selling firearms in Wisconsin? Are they afraid of the liberals?
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Walmart took guns out because there wasn't a high profit margin. They were also trying to go more upscale. Since then they lost business and are adding them back into roughly 2000 stores.

Cite.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

Thank you for posting. I actually had no idea what the actual walmart policy was!

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    The WalMart in Eau Claire sells guns. They will also order what you want if they don't have it.

Have carried in both the La Crosse and Onalaska Walmart countless time without issue, life is good.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

The wal-mart in watertown also sold guns as of last deer season (haven't been there lately). DrTodd is the only guy I've heard of now who has had a recurring issue with wal-mart. I have OCed at wal-mart and sam's club with no issues and any other stories I've heard the managers got smacked around by upper management for not following official store policy on state laws. DrTodd that is an incredible story though about managers being able to make up rules.

Campaign Veteran
    I think this sums up why Wal-Mart gets so much press. They are one of the few nationwide companies, and they also have the most diverse responses to the OC/CC issues.

Personally, I've never had any problems carrying in Wal-Mart, I've only had problems buying ammo there. LoL
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

I open carried a couple of times at the Walmart on HWY 100 in Greenfield with no problems or comments.

Last year I was in Norfolk, VA and OC'd in the Walmart with no problems or comments, until I left. there was a girl (20ish) standing on the sidewalk in front of the store on her cell phone and she started freaking out. But she wasn't a Walmart employee so who cares?
    Last edited by pkbites; 08-22-2011 at 01:35 PM.

It never ceases to amaze me how people go crazy with fear just at the mere sight of a handgun.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    I have carried more times than I can count at the Wal-Mart in Delavan and never have even had anyone follow me around.

Ok since the thread was started i will contibute. I was OCing in Janesville today went into walmart for some groceries while checking out the cashier asked me if i was carrying a BB gun. I was Very confused untill she pointed the 1911 on my hip and again asked "is that a BB gun?" I explained it wasnt and she questioned me about the rules for open carry and i answered. When i got in the car I just had to laugh.

DrTodd.... Maybe they have issues with you because they are from the dark side and one look at you and they recognize you as a Jedi Master...

On point...

I open carried in the Walmart between Racine and Sturtevant a few days ago with no problems at all. They have moved departments around since the last time I was there so I walked around looking for the sporting goods department and had to have an employee page to open the ammo case and purchased box of practice ammo for the XD-40 on my hip. I could tell the employee noticed but never said a word. On my way out a few people noticed but also said nothing...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by civilwarguy View Post
    Ok since the thread was started i will contibute. I was OCing in Janesville today went into walmart for some groceries while checking out the cashier asked me if i was carrying a BB gun. I was Very confused untill she pointed the 1911 on my hip and again asked "is that a BB gun?" I explained it wasnt and she questioned me about the rules for open carry and i answered. When i got in the car I just had to laugh.
    hahaha yeah lady this thing shoots .45 caliber BBs...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bmwguy11 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how people go crazy with fear just at the mere sight of a handgun.
    Can you imagine the fear and panic if they had to go into a police station or stopped at a gun show....lol

Quote Originally Posted by civilwarguy View Post
    "your guna shoot your eye out.....your guna shoot your eye out"

(reference the movie A Christmas Story for those that do not get the humor)

I have carried weekly in the Watertown Walmart for 2.5 years, never a problem. They still sell guns in this store.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime