• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should the Cops be the only one with guns? Cause I beg to differ.

Malcolm

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-officer-accused-drunken-street-grab-rape-063222145.html

Aside from saying that NY is a place I've never been and never will. Here's a little reminder that people are people. no matter what colour their shirt is.

Here's the first couple of paragraphs.

NEW YORK (AP) — A drunken off-duty police officer grabbed a teacher off a residential street, showed her a gun and forced her to a deserted backyard where he raped her, authorities said.
"You're coming with me," he told the woman, after opening his jacket to display his weapon, police said.
Officer Michael Pena was arrested Friday by responding officers after a witness who lives in the upper Manhattan building saw through her window that something was happening in the backyard and called 911, police said.
Pena is an officer in the New York Police Department's 33rd Precinct in Washington Heights, south of the Inwood neighborhood, where he's accused of raping the woman. He was arrested on charges of forcible rape and was behind held pending an arraignment.

eye95

Anyone can prove to be a criminal, even those whom we entrust with a badge. Therefore, logically, we should either trust everyone with guns, or no one. Since our Framers wisely chose to entrust everyone, NY is operating outside the Constitution by making it difficult to impossible for non-LEOs to be armed.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In response to the first sentence in your subject question, aside from the obvious reasons why the People should be armed, there is one other one that stands out. We not only should but must be armed because the police and the military are. History has shown this to be true time after time and I can only imagine those who cry out for citizen disarmament are those of whom George Santayana spoke. The sheer ignorance of the painted canvas of history that these folks present is beyond comprehension.

Gunslinger

I hope this pos goes away for a long time. But, I'm missing the 'trust with guns' part. He is scum with or without a gun, being or not being a cop. I trust people that I trust. Whether or not they are carrying a gun is immaterial. And that most certainly applies to cops.

Deanimator

I hope this pos goes away for a long time. But, I'm missing the 'trust with guns' part. He is scum with or without a gun, being or not being a cop. I trust people that I trust. Whether or not they are carrying a gun is immaterial. And that most certainly applies to cops.
It is common for anti-gunners to claim that "nobody needs a gun" because "the police are there to protect you."

Completely aside from the fact that police have no legal duty to protect you, they are as prone to acts of criminal violence as anyone else. Google the name "Bobby Cutts Jr."

Gunslinger

It is common for anti-gunners to claim that "nobody needs a gun" because "the police are there to protect you."

Completely aside from the fact that police have no legal duty to protect you, they are as prone to acts of criminal violence as anyone else. Google the name "Bobby Cutts Jr."

Cops are a cross section of society's good and evil. Unfortunately, the profession tends to draw the unbalanced, compensatory for other inadequacies, or outright bully/sadist to its ranks. Rape isn't a sexual offense, so they say, but one of domination and a sick need to inflict suffering on those weaker. This CS fits that definition to a tee.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Well, they are, but only after they arrive. "Hold on, Mr. Criminal! Now wait just a doggone second, here! The police aren't here, yet, so you must cease and desist your attack on me, at least temporarily, until my benefactor, the APD* arrives to do their duty! Only then may you continue, if you can!"

*Anytown Police Dept.

They're actually approximately 4x more likely to kill innocent civilians than are law-abiding gun owners. I'm not sure of the details surrounding that stat, but it's been repeated here often, and while I don't recall the sources, I do recall observing they had some merit.

However, when they do arrive on the scene, in general they do a very good job of locking things down. At the very least, the BGs are then focused more on the LEOs than on you.