• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

man wins handgun lawsuit against Chicago!

MKEgal

The story is not well-written, & hard to understand in parts, but basically a guy with a FOID bought a pistol for self-defense,
somehow his neighbors found out about it, called police,
they entered his home without a warrant,
he (stupidly) showed them where it was - a locked box -
they stole it & charged him with 'failure to register'... which brings up the idiocy of the Chicago 'no gun ranges' & registration scheme.

Now he has a Chicago registration card, but might lose it because he bought the gun first.
:banghead:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/jesus-duenas-wins-handgun-lawsuit-chicago-20110819

Since they were there w/o a warrant, I think the whole mess is inadmissable & should never have been prosecuted.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
The title of that article is misleading. He didn't win a lawsuit. He simply got the charges that were brought against him for failing to obey a law that requires the impossible dismissed. It will still be quite some time before he can get his gun back, if ever. This is Chicago we are talking about. Lady Justice committed seppuku there a long ago.

M-Taliesin

The title of that article is misleading. He didn't win a lawsuit. He simply got the charges that were brought against him for failing to obey a law that requires the impossible dismissed. It will still be quite some time before he can get his gun back, if ever. This is Chicago we are talking about. Lady Justice committed seppuku there a long ago.

Howdy Folks!
And if, sometime before the 2nd Coming of Christ, Illinois should ever end up with 2a rights (a dubious prospect at this juncture) the man will still have an arrest on his record, whether or not the case was dismissed. He was evidently arrested. It will cost him a ton of money to get that arrest off his record, regardless of his innocence. This is referred to as justice. It really is nothing of the sort.

Anyhow, I think it is an abomination that Illinois residents cannot even own a weapon and feel secure in their homes from nonsense of this sort. The idea that open carry would be possible there is really unlikely anytime soon.

Hence, the house I have in Illinois will eventually be sold, and I won't step foot in that state ever again.

I'm from Illinois, you see. And about 1,000 miles from Illinois is about far enough for me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

DangerClose

Anyhow, I think it is an abomination that Illinois residents cannot even own a weapon and feel secure in their homes from nonsense of this sort. The idea that open carry would be possible there is really unlikely anytime soon.
Well, this registration story is about Chicago, not the whole of Illinois. Chicago is the main city keeping the state down.

user

Accomplished Advocate
They don't need a warrant if the guy gave them permission to come in, and that can be implied by such things as his having held the door open while they walked in.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Spent the night in Chicago last night, and this morning the news had 7 different reports on shootings around Chicago. Police had no suspects in custody after any of the shootings (including the woman who shot an elderly person at the Orland Park mall and they're pretty sure they caught her on camera)

I can't understand why you would want to carry a weapon in Chicago in self defense. It's such a crime free area!! :sarcasm:

Go get'em SAF. I'm in Illinois all the time, so it would be nice to be able to protect myself, my family, and my co-workers.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I agree with the comments above regarding the near-impossibility of the entrenched Chicago machine actually allowing the serfs to exercise their 2A rights. It will be a long and arduous process and the outcome uncertain. The only way it could happen precipitously would be for 2A people to stage a mass OC march with 10,000 or 20,000 people walking peaceably to city hall demanding the freedom to exercise their basic rights of self defense. Of course, the police would be ready and most of the news coverage negative and histrionic. Still, it would be difficult for the police to round up more than a few thousand people for arrest, and if the march built up momentum and occurred again the next day, and the next, the city might realize that they no longer control the ball.

Truly nothing but a strange fantasy from my fevered imagination, but such events could be game-changers that would work much more quickly than the plodding courtroom gambits.

DangerClose

The only way it could happen precipitously would be for 2A people to stage a mass OC march with 10,000 or 20,000 people walking peaceably to city hall demanding the freedom to exercise their basic rights of self defense.

Or they could, oh, I don't know, get enough people to vote out the loser politicians there. :D I know, I know, good luck with that.

Part of me likes having Chicago the way it is. It shows the rest of the country what is possible if you vote in morons and thugs. It sure doesn't hurt pro-gun arguments to be able to point to Chicago's murder rate, gun deaths, crime, hypocritical mayors/governors, etc. Sucks for the people "stuck" there, though.

nobama

I dont know who I frikken hate more, the polititions or the bastard bed wetting people that called the police. Why cant liberal bed wetting scum mind their own business and stay oout of my back pocket!!