• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An awesome open carry experience!

2nd_to_one

Howdy all,

I haven't posted here in a looonng time but after what happened tonight I needed to share. I have been open carrying in the Arlington area for about 3.5 years now and all over Western WA. Most of the time no one takes any notice, once in awhile I get a minor comment or have a conversation with someone about carrying but usually I just go about my business. Tonight my family and I were at the Twin Lakes Red Robin for dinner, a place we eat fairly often, and where I am almost always open carrying. As is my habit I sat at the table next to my son which usually means (as tonight) that my gun and holster are in full view of anyone that walks by. I'll make a long story short here by jumping to the cool part. As our server was re-filling my water he told us that someone in the restaurant had paid for my family's dinner because he liked the fact that I was carrying a gun openly! My wife asked the server who paid and he indicated a couple sitting behind me to my right. I didn't want to make a fuss so we asked the server to relay our thanks and I left him a note to pass to the couple as well, thanking them for their generousity and letting them know that I would be sharing the story here tonight. This is definitely not the type of response that I expect when open carrying but it sure was a neat feeling to know that my choice made such a positive impression on a complete stranger!

Just in case he or his wife stops by here to look I would again like to say thank you very much. Your generous gesture made our night!

Have a great night.

Steve

SFCRetired

1. Please get the mods to move this to the main site. Everyone needs to see this sort of story.

2. I think the vast majority of our fellow citizens have realized that there is no such thing as a "safe place" any more and are beginning to understand that they must take responsibility for their own safety. Unfortunately, most are also very nervous about either open or concealed carry. The negative encounters, especially with LEAs, are better publicized in the MSM than are all the positive outcomes of having a weapon.

Even my friends from China, who were initially very nervous about me even admitting that I owned firearms, are beginning to understand why I have them. As an aside, get to know someone from a country like China. It will give you the best insight you've ever had on what the anti-gun folk want to do in this country.

amzbrady

Pay it forward. If you see someone OC'ing do the same thing and pay for their meal.

+ 1 -- You beat me to the post, I have practiced "Pay it Forward" For years before I even heard the term. More people should do this. I feel it links us all together in small sort of way.

Always great to hear positive encounters.

Last edited: