Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning 21 in October...

Turning 21 in October...

Hello, first, this is my first post, so allow me to introduce myself, my name is Justin, I am a member of the US Army, and an infantrymen (11bang bang...) I am stationed at Fort Lewis, (JBLM.) I have grown up around weapons, from rifles and shotguns, to different types of handguns, as my father, and (now late) uncle were both all for gun right's, we are originally from Florida, (a non-open carry state) but both of them have always had a ccp. I am currently living off exit
    128 in Tacoma with my wife. I turn 21 in less than 2 months, my wife did not grow up around weapons, she is from
    Boston, and living with me is the first time she has ever lived in a house with weapons.
    In Florida, I own a Remington pump action 887 and a smith and wesson 659 semi auto 9mm.

Here in Washington I currently only own a maverick 88 home defense pump action shotgun, that I have been teaching my wife to shoot, and to use as a home defense option.

So, here is my question,
    I know i have to be 21 before I apply for a carry permit, but I have been wanting to be able to carry for year's,
    especially since i am an infantrymen, and my work IS firearm's, I have always felt that military should be able to carry before the age of 21 if they are active duty, but that has never happened, so, I was wondering, is it a good idea to Open carry here in WA without a ccp as a backup, or should I wait for my CCP?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for decent 9mm concealable weapons? I was thinking about a Glock
    G26 with peirson finger extensions, or a smaller keltec,
    also, do you know of any place that has a decent military discount?

sorry for the long post, but let me know?

I wouldn't opencarry without a CPL just because the LEO's just aren't too accepting of the practice yet.

How about a Compact 1911?

Who gives a smelly butt what LEOs think. You don't need to have a CPL (CPL in WA) to open carry and you certainly do not need to wait for it. That's an extra 30 day wait. Benefit of a CPL is carrying loaded in a vehicle ( which you cannot do even if you are open carrying). Notice, I didn't say concealed in the previous sentence. Silly, isn't it?

Click on them sticky FAQs at the top of this forum section and give them a good reading. Then read before you sleep. And in the morning. Then rinse and repeat.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

well, so far i have one answer for each way...my biggest concern is that im not the type who like's to deal with the
    police, it's kind of a hassle. I have been researching all the law's and rules, for a long while now. I intend on getting
    both a FL, and WA permit because when my military contract is up, i will be moving back to FL, and it just makes sense to get both.

So, the question still stand's, wait to carry till i have my permit? or open carry till i get my permit.

Hej Justman! OC is not a real problem, except you will need to unload when you enter your vehicle (take the magizine out, and if you ahve one in the tube, eject it. When you get out of your vehicle you pop the mag back in.

I am old and have oc/cc (winter only) in WA since 1970. Never once have I been hassled, only once have I even spoken to a deputy about my gun (in this case it was a 6" 38 Colt revolver in a custom hunting holster), and I was coming out of a grocery store in Manson..someone (probably from Seattle) called in MWAG and the Deputy came out to check. I was loading my groceries into my truck when he arrived (no light, no extra nothing) ..Deputy: "hunting" Me: "yep" Deputy (more or less to himself) "now I have to find that woman that called in to tell her there was nothing illegal going on" and that was years ago..

Never been asked for my CPL, never been disarmed, (but then I am rarely stopped for traffic violations)

Now, that said...I also do not live in Tacoma. (though I have been too, and through many times.)

If you were to carry in a proper holster, and not act all nervous, I would bet you would be OK. Legally, you would be OK anyway. Just remember to unload before you get in your vehicle. There is a self protection vehicle exception for loaded vehicle carry, if you are going to or from a "recreational" activity...but that exemption is kind of vague and up to (mis)interperation so I would not push that one, unless I was obviously going/coming from a hunting trip, or more than a day hike. (you know, lots of camping gear in the car with you.)
    Last edited by hermannr; 08-21-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaarry View Post
    I wouldn't opencarry without a CPL just because the LEO's just aren't too accepting of the practice yet.

??? Not too accepting of the practice yet? Why do you say that? Most LEO's are accepting of OC now. And if they're not, their departments are.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Hej Justman! OC is not a real problem, except you will need to unload when you enter your vehicle (take the magizine out, and if you ahve one in the tube, eject it. When you get out of your vehicle you pop the mag back in.
    Welcome aboard, Justin!

Also take into consideration whether or not there are any primary or secondary schools near where you live or where you regularly travel. The 1000' Federal exclusion zone around schools (which is of doubtful Constitutionality) does not apply to those who have a state-issued CPL that involves a background check.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    ??? Not too accepting of the practice yet? Why do you say that? Most LEO's are accepting of OC now. And if they're not, their departments are.
    Not only that, don't LEO's Open Carry? Having a pistol on their hip is a part of their everyday life, why should they not "be accepting"?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I just retired from the Army at JBLM, just wait till your 21 to OC off post. Then get your CPL for the car situation. (see other threads like the WA pamphlet). Thank you for serving and come to our OC meets, you can learn a lot from the group.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by gaarry View Post

Welcome to the board, please note that Gary is 17 and very new to this board.

I live in Tacoma and OC nearly everywhere I go and have walked by numerous LEO in Tacoma, Federal Way and all over the state of Washington. It is legal with and without a CPL. The day you turn 21 (or before if you are using and exception under .060) you can OC without the CPL as a matter of fact until you receive your CPL IT IS YOUR ONLY CHOICE. There are numerous pictures of me OC all around Washington including in the Tacoma/Federal Way area.

What I would suggest that you do, is to read this forum, the FAQ's, for about 2 weeks. Understand the laws regarding 9.41 and understand your 4th and 5th Amendment rights. Perhaps meet up with myself or several other of the very active members of this forum to ask questions in person. The information is there, it is your responsibility to understand it and exercise your rights.
    Live Free or Die!

Well, there is an obvious reaction that people think it is ok to open carry, and i believe it will probably be ok.
    So, what does everyone recommend in the way of smaller 9mm?

anyone have a smaller 9mm in washington for sale that i could possibly pick up, so i can start carrying ON my birthday while i wait for my 5-10 day waiting period? or any handgun for sale, larger then a .22, that i could private purchase for this reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Justman1020 View Post
    Well, there is an obvious reaction that people think it is ok to open carry, and i believe it will probably be ok.
    So, what does everyone recommend in the way of smaller 9mm?

anyone have a smaller 9mm in washington for sale that i could possibly pick up, so i can start carrying ON my birthday while i wait for my 5-10 day waiting period? or any handgun for sale, larger then a .22, that i could private purchase for this reason?
    Keltec PF-9, Ruger LC9, Springfield XD Compact or Sub-Compact, lots of choices. How small are you looking for? Did you have any in mind?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I was looking at a Glock G26,
    G19,
    Kahr Cw9

but if i can find a used weapon of any caliber at a decent price, that i can pick up from a private sale, to carry the day i turn 21, till my 5-10 day waiting period is up, i will pick it up, obviously, 9mm is my first choice, so, if anyone has a weapon they are interested in selling, let me know.

but for new, those are what im going to look for...

I was looking at a Glock G26,
    G19,
    Kahr Cw9

but if i can find a used weapon of any caliber at a decent price, that i can pick up from a private sale, to carry the day i turn 21, till my 5-10 day waiting period is up, i will pick it up, obviously, 9mm is my first choice, so, if anyone has a weapon they are interested in selling, let me know.

but for new, those are what im going to look for...
    http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-classifieds/

http://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=8

http://seattleguns.net/viewforum.php?f=7
    Live Free or Die!

Gogodawgs, which office depot do u work at? whats the address? Maybe i will stop by.

Gogodawgs, which office depot do u work at?

Work ??

m1, if im not mistaken, i may have met u at a show a while back, with my (now) wife, we were engaged at the time, and you were selling a firearm, (.380 if im not mistaken, with a laser) that we looked at, and if not, it was somebody totally different...haha

I just picked up a really nice little CZ-82 (1987) (9X18 Makarov) for $229. The shop is Olympia, ya I know, you can't buy from an FFL, but this is about a holster...if should you pickup a CZ-82, Cumberland Sports in Oly has a sweet little level 3 leather holster for the CZ82 for only $20.

Nice little gun even your wife would like shooting. the 9X18 Mak is half way between the 380 and the 9X19 Luger in power

Hermannr, i actually found a used Cz82 for 250 im thinking about getting, on one of the sites someone here recomended, comes with a couple holsters, a case, a box of FMJ, and a box of hollow points, 250$...

Not to disparage a 9x18 but before deciding on a caliber, you might want to check ammo prices. The more common a caliber, the cheaper they will sell for. For example, .380 generally costs more than 9mm (9x19). If you shoot it with any regularity, you will spend more on the ammo than the gun no matter what you purchase. Just make sure you can afford to shoot what you buy.

m1, if im not mistaken, i may have met u at a show a while back, with my (now) wife, we were engaged at the time, and you were selling a firearm, (.380 if im not mistaken, with a laser) that we looked at, and if not, it was somebody totally different...haha
    If that person had a mustache, it was me. if not, It was Goose.

Hermannr, i actually found a used Cz82 for 250 im thinking about getting, on one of the sites someone here recomended, comes with a couple holsters, a case, a box of FMJ, and a box of hollow points, 250$...
    That sounds like a good price. If you reload you might be careful what you purchase for ammo becasue a lot of the cheap stuff is burdan primed. The CZ82 has a chromed polygonal barrel, so when you check it out don't be surprised. Very nice small pistol. Mine shoot s really well, accurate too. If one of the holsters is like the one I got, it's really nice leather with a good retaing strap, from Prage

Seriously, check out the Marksman. They have a military/law enforcement counter filled with glocks, xd's, smith revolvers and 1911's. $400 gets you a brand new glock. $490 gets a brand new glock with night sights.
    Make sure you bring your ID or you can't even lok at anything in that case. Also, to buy a handgun you must prove you hold residency in the state of Washington. If you have a Washington drivers license you are all set. If not then you need to bring your orders assigning you to JBLM.
    Also you said you are from Florida. If you have family there you will visit then you should get the CPL. Washington has reciprocity with Florida. That means if you get a WA state CPL it is recognized in Florida. Also, if you get a Florida CPL then it is recognized in Washington.
    Tell your wife to enjoy the shooting. I grew up in Mass as well so I know how they react to guns there.
    By the way what brigade are you in? I was with Fierce Co. 52d IN; 1-38 IN; 4th Brigade.

Welcome to the forum

And let me start by saying thanks for you service and dedication to your fellow countryman.
    And you would probably be happy with A 9x18 for awhile but then you would want something bigger. I started with a .380 then A makarov went to 9mm then .357 and now Colt 45 and I am thinking about A 44 mag damb I hate being retired and having to much time to think. and again welcome aboard.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

1911er is right. And you definitely can't go wrong with a 1911. Out of all my guns my 1911 is by far my favorite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast