• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Turning 21 in October...

Justman1020

Hello, first, this is my first post, so allow me to introduce myself, my name is Justin, I am a member of the US Army, and an infantrymen (11bang bang...) I am stationed at Fort Lewis, (JBLM.) I have grown up around weapons, from rifles and shotguns, to different types of handguns, as my father, and (now late) uncle were both all for gun right's, we are originally from Florida, (a non-open carry state) but both of them have always had a ccp. I am currently living off exit
128 in Tacoma with my wife. I turn 21 in less than 2 months, my wife did not grow up around weapons, she is from
Boston, and living with me is the first time she has ever lived in a house with weapons.
In Florida, I own a Remington pump action 887 and a smith and wesson 659 semi auto 9mm.

Here in Washington I currently only own a maverick 88 home defense pump action shotgun, that I have been teaching my wife to shoot, and to use as a home defense option.

So, here is my question,
I know i have to be 21 before I apply for a carry permit, but I have been wanting to be able to carry for year's,
especially since i am an infantrymen, and my work IS firearm's, I have always felt that military should be able to carry before the age of 21 if they are active duty, but that has never happened, so, I was wondering, is it a good idea to Open carry here in WA without a ccp as a backup, or should I wait for my CCP?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for decent 9mm concealable weapons? I was thinking about a Glock
G26 with peirson finger extensions, or a smaller keltec,
also, do you know of any place that has a decent military discount?

sorry for the long post, but let me know?

Px4er

I wouldn't opencarry without a CPL just because the LEO's just aren't too accepting of the practice yet.

How about a Compact 1911? :D

OrangeIsTrouble

Who gives a smelly butt what LEOs think. You don't need to have a CPL (CPL in WA) to open carry and you certainly do not need to wait for it. That's an extra 30 day wait. Benefit of a CPL is carrying loaded in a vehicle ( which you cannot do even if you are open carrying). Notice, I didn't say concealed in the previous sentence. Silly, isn't it?

Click on them sticky FAQs at the top of this forum section and give them a good reading. Then read before you sleep. And in the morning. Then rinse and repeat.

Justman1020

well, so far i have one answer for each way...my biggest concern is that im not the type who like's to deal with the
police, it's kind of a hassle. I have been researching all the law's and rules, for a long while now. I intend on getting
both a FL, and WA permit because when my military contract is up, i will be moving back to FL, and it just makes sense to get both.

So, the question still stand's, wait to carry till i have my permit? or open carry till i get my permit.

hermannr

Hej Justman! OC is not a real problem, except you will need to unload when you enter your vehicle (take the magizine out, and if you ahve one in the tube, eject it. When you get out of your vehicle you pop the mag back in.

I am old and have oc/cc (winter only) in WA since 1970. Never once have I been hassled, only once have I even spoken to a deputy about my gun (in this case it was a 6" 38 Colt revolver in a custom hunting holster), and I was coming out of a grocery store in Manson..someone (probably from Seattle) called in MWAG and the Deputy came out to check. I was loading my groceries into my truck when he arrived (no light, no extra nothing) ..Deputy: "hunting" Me: "yep" Deputy (more or less to himself) "now I have to find that woman that called in to tell her there was nothing illegal going on" and that was years ago..

Never been asked for my CPL, never been disarmed, (but then I am rarely stopped for traffic violations)

Now, that said...I also do not live in Tacoma. (though I have been too, and through many times.)

If you were to carry in a proper holster, and not act all nervous, I would bet you would be OK. Legally, you would be OK anyway. Just remember to unload before you get in your vehicle. There is a self protection vehicle exception for loaded vehicle carry, if you are going to or from a "recreational" activity...but that exemption is kind of vague and up to (mis)interperation so I would not push that one, unless I was obviously going/coming from a hunting trip, or more than a day hike. (you know, lots of camping gear in the car with you.)

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

I wouldn't opencarry without a CPL just because the LEO's just aren't too accepting of the practice yet.

??? Not too accepting of the practice yet? Why do you say that? Most LEO's are accepting of OC now. And if they're not, their departments are.

John Hardin

Hej Justman! OC is not a real problem, except you will need to unload when you enter your vehicle (take the magizine out, and if you ahve one in the tube, eject it. When you get out of your vehicle you pop the mag back in.

Welcome aboard, Justin!

Also take into consideration whether or not there are any primary or secondary schools near where you live or where you regularly travel. The 1000' Federal exclusion zone around schools (which is of doubtful Constitutionality) does not apply to those who have a state-issued CPL that involves a background check.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I just retired from the Army at JBLM, just wait till your 21 to OC off post. Then get your CPL for the car situation. (see other threads like the WA pamphlet). Thank you for serving and come to our OC meets, you can learn a lot from the group.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Welcome to the board, please note that Gary is 17 and very new to this board.

I live in Tacoma and OC nearly everywhere I go and have walked by numerous LEO in Tacoma, Federal Way and all over the state of Washington. It is legal with and without a CPL. The day you turn 21 (or before if you are using and exception under .060) you can OC without the CPL as a matter of fact until you receive your CPL IT IS YOUR ONLY CHOICE. There are numerous pictures of me OC all around Washington including in the Tacoma/Federal Way area.

What I would suggest that you do, is to read this forum, the FAQ's, for about 2 weeks. Understand the laws regarding 9.41 and understand your 4th and 5th Amendment rights. Perhaps meet up with myself or several other of the very active members of this forum to ask questions in person. The information is there, it is your responsibility to understand it and exercise your rights.

Justman1020

Well, there is an obvious reaction that people think it is ok to open carry, and i believe it will probably be ok.
So, what does everyone recommend in the way of smaller 9mm?

anyone have a smaller 9mm in washington for sale that i could possibly pick up, so i can start carrying ON my birthday while i wait for my 5-10 day waiting period? or any handgun for sale, larger then a .22, that i could private purchase for this reason?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, there is an obvious reaction that people think it is ok to open carry, and i believe it will probably be ok.
So, what does everyone recommend in the way of smaller 9mm?

anyone have a smaller 9mm in washington for sale that i could possibly pick up, so i can start carrying ON my birthday while i wait for my 5-10 day waiting period? or any handgun for sale, larger then a .22, that i could private purchase for this reason?

Keltec PF-9, Ruger LC9, Springfield XD Compact or Sub-Compact, lots of choices. How small are you looking for? Did you have any in mind?

Justman1020

I was looking at a Glock G26,
G19,
Kahr Cw9

but if i can find a used weapon of any caliber at a decent price, that i can pick up from a private sale, to carry the day i turn 21, till my 5-10 day waiting period is up, i will pick it up, obviously, 9mm is my first choice, so, if anyone has a weapon they are interested in selling, let me know.

but for new, those are what im going to look for...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I was looking at a Glock G26,
G19,
Kahr Cw9

but if i can find a used weapon of any caliber at a decent price, that i can pick up from a private sale, to carry the day i turn 21, till my 5-10 day waiting period is up, i will pick it up, obviously, 9mm is my first choice, so, if anyone has a weapon they are interested in selling, let me know.

but for new, those are what im going to look for...

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-classifieds/

[URL="http://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=8"]http://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=8

[URL]http://seattleguns.net/viewforum.php?f=7
[/URL][/URL]

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Gogodawgs, which office depot do u work at?

Work ??
24.gif

Justman1020

m1, if im not mistaken, i may have met u at a show a while back, with my (now) wife, we were engaged at the time, and you were selling a firearm, (.380 if im not mistaken, with a laser) that we looked at, and if not, it was somebody totally different...haha

hermannr

I just picked up a really nice little CZ-82 (1987) (9X18 Makarov) for $229. The shop is Olympia, ya I know, you can't buy from an FFL, but this is about a holster...if should you pickup a CZ-82, Cumberland Sports in Oly has a sweet little level 3 leather holster for the CZ82 for only $20.

Nice little gun even your wife would like shooting. the 9X18 Mak is half way between the 380 and the 9X19 Luger in power

Justman1020

Hermannr, i actually found a used Cz82 for 250 im thinking about getting, on one of the sites someone here recomended, comes with a couple holsters, a case, a box of FMJ, and a box of hollow points, 250$...

Jayd1981

Not to disparage a 9x18 but before deciding on a caliber, you might want to check ammo prices. The more common a caliber, the cheaper they will sell for. For example, .380 generally costs more than 9mm (9x19). If you shoot it with any regularity, you will spend more on the ammo than the gun no matter what you purchase. Just make sure you can afford to shoot what you buy.