Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for HD

Shotgun for HD

I know this is a "handgun" forum but is there anyone here that also uses a shotgun for HD? I'd like to know where you put it at night. Next to the bed? In the corner? In the closet? I have one and have been trying to decide what to do with it at night. I usually keep it on the floor next to the bed, but I always end up tripping over it and moving it. I did put it in the corner (a little farther away) but I like it there now, it's out of the way but still easily accessible. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
    Member:
    GOA-Life, NRA, WCI.

I used to have a couple of shotguns, but there were lost in a tragic boating accident.

I am not going to say where I kept them, but they were nearby. One place I did keep it was under the bed, within a few inches from the edge, so if you just glanced, you could not see it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Mine is just short enough to stand beside the bed, between it and the nightstand with the cat's perch just above it.

Where?

Standing next to my bed, against the wall. Loaded, unchambered is my old remmington pump. I have no little ones in house.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Mine is just short enough to stand beside the bed, between it and the nightstand with the cat's perch just above it.
    Hoping for it to go off to take care of the cat?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Night stand a .357 loaded with 38 spcl and a maglight, By my bedroom door leaning against my book shelf are 2 shotguns loaded, chambered and safety on. Handgun if I need to react while still in bed, if I have to get up on my hindlegs and go into the house it gets replaced with one of the shotguns, which one doesn't matter. I am a rifle shooter to the core and a handgun shooter by training but at dark thirty in the morning I will trade both for a little more close up and personal authority.

I have a Remington 870 mounted on the wall high above my bed where my son can't reach it. I load it before I go to sleep and mount it. I unload it and lock it away in the morning. I also have my handgun in my nightstand if need be.

Edit: I also leave the chamber empty. I have the belief that the sound of a 12 gauge shotgun racking is a pretty good deterrent by itself...
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I keep mine against the wall near the door full mag empty chamber. No matter where is best for you it needs to be kept in the same spot all the time so you do not have to go looking for it.

Talking I Thought This Thread Was About .....

Auric.

I keep my 12 gauge pump loaded with 000 buckshot leaning in the corner of the room by the bed. Glock on the floor next to the bed. I can personally attest that the sound of the pump racking in a shell DOES make the perpetrator follow your instructions.

Maybe I should get some Dragonsbreath and have that handy? Just a thought.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

I have a Remington 1100 16ga I keep under the bed, fully loaded. It's a semi-auto, so the action isn't the same. Plus it still has the wooden dowel in it (can't figure out how to get it out yet) so it only holds 2+1 rounds-no need to handicap myself.

But really, it's way too long for home defense. I'm not sure of the barrel length, but I'm guessing 24", so even getting it out from under the bed would be a chore. I'd love to pick up a 12ga Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel for this purpose. Holds more rounds, shorter barrel, loud pump action. That'll probably be my next firearm purchase-as much as I'd love to have an AR or another pistol, a home defense shotty makes more sense.

Shooting birdshot from a short barreled, unchoked 12ga shotgun is almost gauranteed to hit an intruder even if you just fire towards the sound they're making. Plus the birdshot isn't going to overpenetrate any walls, or the intruder himself-so worrying about the best round with the most stopping power that wont OP walls or the target is a non-issue.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Stoeger 12ga. coach gun(20in. barrels) side-by-side, mounted upside-down on a deer hoove single gun rack; over the bedroom door.
    Late night grouse don't stand a chance...
    Attachment 6707Is triple buck to much for uninvited guests???
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

I would really recommend against fireing towards sounds you think are made by an intruter. If you can not ID your target you most likely shouldn't be fireing.

It is a myth that you can hit something with a shotgun just my point in the general direction. At 15 20 feet away the shot gun pattren is very small. It needs to be aimed.

000 buck is useful I personally use 00 in mine but then I live in the country. Bird shot can be use and is deadly at close range. I know of one self defense shooting that a load of bird shot at about 10 feet dropped and killed a knife wheeling attacker after he stab the owner twice. He had bird shot in his shot gun because he was having racoon trouble. It was the closest and fastest gun he could get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    Stoeger 12ga. coach gun(20in. barrels) side-by-side, mounted upside-down on a deer hoove single gun rack; over the bedroom door.
    Late night grouse don't stand a chance...
    Attachment 6707Is triple buck to much for uninvited guests???
    depends on whether or not you're worried about what's on the other side of your walls if you miss.

even birdshot is going to ruin anyone's day when hit with it. but since the pellets are so small once they hit a wall they're going to lose all of their energy right then and there. 6 pellets of 000 buckshot are going to carry a little more energy after hitting a wall. I live with no one else other than my fiancee, who I will always have at my back, but I do have neighbors across the street, and I'd rather not get sued for sending stray lead into their property. that's why I'm hesitant to even use my 9mm pointed towards my front door.

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I would really recommend against fireing towards sounds you think are made by an intruter. If you can not ID your target you most likely shouldn't be fireing.

It is a myth that you can hit something with a shotgun just my point in the general direction. At 15 20 feet away the shot gun pattren is very small. It needs to be aimed.

000 buck is useful I personally use 00 in mine but then I live in the country. Bird shot can be use and is deadly at close range. I know of one self defense shooting that a load of bird shot at about 10 feet dropped and killed a knife wheeling attacker after he stab the owner twice. He had bird shot in his shot gun because he was having racoon trouble. It was the closest and fastest gun he could get to.
    I'll concede that, but my point was that the spread from birdshot is gonig to be a bit bigger than buckshot

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Birdshot is intended for birds and not people. You must be able to stop a threat so that it is incapable of inflicting a fatal or otherwise serious wound to yourself or a loved one. There are cases of birdshot being effective but there are far more cases of those shot simply being wounded and able to walk to seek medical attention. I work with someone who was shot at nearly point blank range with birdshot and he was not incapacitated immediately. In order to be effective, the projectile must reach the vitals of what you are shooting at. Birdshot simply does not have enough penetration to do so in most cases. There are a few unlucky folks out there who have received fatal birdshot wounds but scores more who were simply wounded.
    Buckshot is far more effective for dangerous game. #4 buckshot is proven to be effective and reliable as a defense load yet will penetrate far less than 00 or any of the popular pistol calibers out there.

Remington 1100 with full extended tube of #1 Buck and a 200-lumen Surefire. Leaning in corner on other side of nightstand. There are no children in the house.

A shotgun is the best tool for defense. A sidearm is because you can't carry a shotgun everywhere.

My dad has a Mossberg 835 Ultimag. 54 pellets of #4 Buck fit in a 3-1/2" shell. THAT's a defensive payload if you needed it.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-22-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    Auric.

Hah.... yeah so did I! I was wondering "what did I do now?"

Needless to say, I have a few shotguns, and there might be one or two (or three) at the ready... ...along with a few other things. Plus Glockgirl has her own favorites at the ready. Mmmm.... teamwork!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I also leave the chamber empty. I have the belief that the sound of a 12 gauge shotgun racking is a pretty good deterrent by itself...
    Agreed. That sound is universal around the world, regardless of what language you speak.

I keep a Remington 7600 around for HD loaded with PDX1. If you're in the market, there are a lot of places around that are selling tactical shotguns for pretty cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REM7300_REM7300.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	6709
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    .... If you're in the market, there are a lot of places around that are selling tactical shotguns for pretty cheap.
    Any links to these sales? Please PM them to me.
    Last edited by davegran; 08-22-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Campaign Veteran
    Cabelas is running a Mossburg in their ad right now for around $300.

I will pm u a bunch later tonight.

Tapatalk from my Droid
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    Cabelas is running a Mossburg in their ad right now for around $300.

I will pm u a bunch later tonight.

Tapatalk from my Droid
    Send them to me as well. Cabela's have an online catalog?

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Yes please.........

I'll take an Auric for home defense. That way I don't have to do anything. I've got an extra room close to the door where he can hang out with glock girl and protect my house.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Paddock Lake Sports has a few... Starting at $329.00 new...

1-262-843-1625 Ask for Randy... He will probably answer the phone...

Small independent local shop... OC friendly... Good guy.. I have bought a couple of firearms from him. Probably full price on firearm, but maybe good deal on ammo with purchase...

About 20 miles east of Lake Geneva and about the same west of Kenosha... on Hwy 50...

Outdoosman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 08-22-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Mossberg 590A1 next to my bed at all times...... loaded with 7 - 2 3/4" 00 Buck, with more in the side saddle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mossy590A1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	6719  
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast