• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taken down at gun point at Greenlake today.

jsanchez

I had just completed a walk around Greenlake and was waiting for my wife to arrive, when I saw a lady on the phone, and I thought she was calling police. Sure enough 5 minutes later 2 Seattle Police cars show up and the lady runs over to talk to them and points in my direction. The officers park there cars and the fat one tries to make a tatical approach, aka trying to sneak up, but he was wider then the tree he was trying to hide behind. So he peaks around the tree to see me and I wave at him, don't you hate it when you lose the element of surprise. So he orders me to put my hands on top of my head and dont move. His partner is at my 2 o'clock has his gun out and at the low ready. I put my hands on my head and wait for him to take my gun. He cant get my gun out of my level 3 holster so he ends up taking my belt half way off. They ask me if I have any other weapons on me, I say yes and tell them I have a second gun in my front pocket, they remove that off me.

Now they have all my guns and they put their guns away and now the conversation begins. Them, do you have a cpl and may I see it? Me, what cad supported probable cause do you have to stop me? More to follow....

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

That's interesting, my buddy just hinted me about some good fishing at green lake for the weekdays (I'll be heading there sooner or later). I'll have to make sure I get a decent recorder before I go. Just as what was stated above by Orphan, it might be best to not post more details, even if some of us are dying to know more.

hermannr

That is just sick. Yes, chech with that 2A Lawyer. "pervasive culture" should put a few coins in your pocket, and maybe remind the SPD they need to follow the law and their training, not just what they want to follow..

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I second the advice to get a lawyer now!!! Don't post anything else about your story until your lawyer gives you the all clear. Best of luck!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Will someone local please FOIA this to get the facts. Doing so will not compromise the OP.

Lante

FOIA request sent

Freedom of Information Act Request
Sheila Friend Gray
Seattle Police Department
610 – 5th Avenue
P.O. Box 34986
Seattle, WA 98124
Re: Freedom of Information Act Request
Dear Sheila Friend Gray:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
I request that a copy of the documents containing the following information be provided to me:
• 911 call transcript for a man with a gun call resulting in the dispatch of 2 SPD officers to Greenlake on Sunday Aug 21 2011 between the hours of 6 AM and 1 pm.
• The reports from the 2 officers involved.
• Any radio or data transmissions from the 2 officers from the time the call was dispatched until the officers departed the area.
In order to help to determine my status to assess fees, you should know that I am an individual seeking information for review and publication by Open Carry Dot Org, a non profit lobbying and citizen watchdog group relating to protections of the 2nd amendments.
I request a waiver of all fees for this request. Disclosure of the requested information to me is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government / police department and is not primarily in my commercial interest. Open Carry Dot Org is a national organization with many years of experience explaining the actions of police departments and legally armed citizens to the press, and advising police departments across the nation in their training of officers when dealing with legally armed citizens. This request will contribute significantly to public understanding as the information disclosed is new; supports public oversight of agency operations; or otherwise confirms or clarifies data on past or present operations of the government. As noted by 132 Cong. Rec. H9464
Thank you for your consideration of this request.
Sincerely,

skyisfalling

Meet at Green Lake?

Wow. yesterday I waz gunna walk Green Lake on my way back to B-ham from the Willow Lake B-B-Q.
Missed the exit. Walked Padden Lake (in B-ham) instead. Non-issue.

O.K.. than, let have a meet at Green Lake. I am determined to take back any real estate lost to the
sheeple and po-po.

Batousaii

~ If Possible ...

- Sorry to hear about this.. scary.

An idea: Find out, through whatever legal channels available, who the caller was and sue the crap out of them too, especially if what they said was not true or put you into that potentialy lethal situation... make sure news sources know.

- I would bet a few well place lawsuits on aberant 911 callers (anti-citizens) would make future callers think twice, especially if it hit the news.

Just a thought.

Bat

Last edited:

1245A Defender

And!!!

- Sorry to hear about this.. scary.

An idea: Find out, through whatever legal channels available, who the caller was and sue the crap out of them too, especially if what they said was not true or put you into that potentialy lethal situation... make sure news sources know.

- I would bet a few well place lawsuits on aberant 911 callers (anti-citizens) would make future callers think twice, especially if it hit the news.

Just a thought.

Bat

study , florida V. J.L. the mere anonymous report of a Man with a gun is not sufficient RAS for Police action, beyond just looking!

sudden valley gunner

Nope couldn't happen the bad apples are quickly weeded out and they never do anything unconstitutional. (sarcasm)

Important thing first is no one was harmed and they didn't Birk ya, phew!

I would suggest sitting down and writing out a personal journal/log of everything that happened while it is fresh in your mind. And then keep it to yourself and your lawyer, until this is settled. SPD needs not to get off easy. If all is as you said it, they need to pay a high price, and an apology is not good enough in my book, they know better.

Difdi

study , florida V. J.L. the mere anonymous report of a Man with a gun is not sufficient RAS for Police action, beyond just looking!

True. But there's MWAG calls and then there's crazy with a gun calls. If the woman called and simply reported a man with a holstered pistol in the park, then the liability is wholly on the SPD. But if the woman called 911 and started lying to the dispatcher about a man acting crazy, waving a gun around, pointing it at people or similar false statements, that opens up personal liability for the caller.

Schlepnier

Well that and WA states own 2nd division appelette court rulling in 2007
It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the street with a visible firearm, even if this action would shock some people.

Additionally the police bulliten linked to instructs the officers in question to commit an illegal act in securing the weapon without RAS of a crime.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Well that and WA states own 2nd division appellate court ruling in 2007
It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the street with a visible firearm, even if this action would shock some people.

Do you have a reference for this? I have heard it before but would like to read it for myself and in turn when needed reference it as well.

jsanchez

Continued......

So I informed the officers that they had violated my civil rights, freedom of movement. I presented them a copy of their departments trainning memo, all two pages, and i told them they were in violation of RCW 9A 80 010. Gross misdermenor when police deprive citizen of civil rights. I explained that the two conditions to arrest me, one, gun in hand, two , making threats had not been met. Another officer arrived, I guess their supervisor, I showed him the paper work also. They tried to use SMC 18.12 no guns in park against me, but I informed them that it had been overtuned in King County Superior Court. They called there Lt. Then they locked my guns in my car across the street, and told me for officer safety to retrieve them after they leave. I did and went for a walk around Greenlake with my wife. My wife said the lady that called was embarressed when the police spoke with her when wrapping things up. An incident # was generated and it is 11-274592. The officers involved were Shilipeyar #5183, Kamalu #5990, and Hargraves #2974. The youngest officer was Kamalu, who by the way was the officer that responded to the shooting at Folklife a couple of years ago, so I was told by the supervisor.

On a seperate note, not more than 24 hours earlier I was at the South West Precincts picnic, walked all over the place, talked to officers and Chief Diez.

I just want to thank all the members of Washington Open Carry for teaching me what to do in situration like this. Thank you very much.

Last edited: