• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Stossel And Dog The Bounty Hunter Make The Case For Privatizing Law Enforcement

slowfiveoh

I think I see what you're saying now. My enumeration of the fact that there are some (I would wager most) people that refuse to defend themselves was not the basis of the need for law enforcement, but rather the fallacy of why society cannot be trusted to police itself. There are those who will not tolerate criminal behavior and will readily defend themselves from the same, but they for the majority part have limited concern for anyone outside their immediate family and a few close friends. Certainly not enough to intervene if those outside their circle are being preyed upon.

Of course not. See above. The justification for Law Enforcement is much baser than that, to wit that there is a criminal element in society that will mercilessly prey upon others if they are not confronted. My statement was a refutation of the claim that those who WILL defend themselves will be enough to keep the criminal element at bay were there no dedicated law enforcement to keep it in check.

All of this acknowledges, then avoids the issue altogether.

You cannot save everyone.
You cannot create a law enforcement superstructure to save everyone.

If people refuse to defend themselves or their family, then frankly, they are a waste and will be weeded out via natural selection. This may sound cold and callous but it is natural fact, and a product of our development.

I truly have 0 concern for those who will not take care of themselves, and law enforcement existing because of these individuals, is compulsory levy of my wages to support something I simply do not agree with.

Defend yourself or die. That's real life.

I highly recommend Lt Col Dave Grossman's books, especially On Combat. I know it is required reading for Marines and I suspect it may be so for the other three branches as well. He provides the basis for the so-called militarization of law enforcement agencies and backs it up far better than I can.

Ran this by one of my best friends of 16 years. Former Marine 0311. His response was, "What? Never heard of it."

I know its not required Army reading.

In fact, forcing the military to read a book supporting militarization of law enforcement roles, would have seemed to be contradictory to posse comitatus, regardless is lack of presence in todays post-HSA nation.

Militarization of law enforcement just seems idiotic from every angle. Its an attempt to make law enforcement roles "parallel" with military roles, and is altogether laughable and unnecessary. Rounding up a posse to bring criminals to justice is fine. Rolling into a house with an APC firing CS cans fronted by 15-20 officers in their needless full battle rattle to serve a warrant, is just god-d**ned stupid.

Last edited:

BaconMan

It can't be much worse than what we have now. Besides, at least you can sue private individuals/companies without getting their permission first, and they aren't protected by the false doctrine of "good faith." The same cannot be said about the government.

You can sue now....as far as "good faith" goes, private entities do not have the same restrictions which many public entities have to operate under....C'MON MAN!!!!:cuss:

Aknazer

You're reading awfully deep into that statement. "Both of our" simply means that we both have a viewpoint on the matter. I won't deny mine is different than yours, but to leap straight to the conclusion that I therefore must feel that SWAT/SRT activations are necessary for simple things is a monumental stretch. I did not clarify because I felt the statement was pretty clear. The second statement, again, states and implies that my viewpoint is different from yours but not to the extreme.

Then please explain to me what your view is. To me there are only roughly four views on it. Either police need to use SWAT-like tactics as much as they currently are, they need to use them more, less, or they are using them just right. I am of the view that they need to use less SWAT style tactics while you have come across as one of the other three (all of which means you come across as holding the view that these types of tactics need to be used more than I feel they need to be used). Also please explain why you feel this way so that I can attempt to understand where you're coming from.

Seems like a tragic misunderstanding if you ask me. The guy who shot the cop wasn't even the same department. The whole story about who shouted "gun!" seems a bit fishy to me too, but nevertheless.

It is but a piece in the puzzle to showing the overall mindset of cops on a national level. I know there are many cops not like this, but there are also many that have this mindset. I wish I could have found the original article on it, but the weapon was slung on his back and the fact remains that the cop saw what appeared to be a civilian with a gun and then shot him without ever taking in the full situation. The original articles were a bit better as the agencies didn't have time to come up with a cover story.

The first statement I disagree with. Police get extensive shoot-no shoot training using some pretty sophisticated systems, and at least here in NC they have to requalify on the same every year. The second is simply not true in my opinion, minus the inevitable individual exceptions.

That might be true, but what good is that training if they are taught to shoot people with a gun as a natural reaction? People have also posted how at various firing police ranges around the country the word used to start shooting is "GUN!" Which just goes to further reinforce the reflexive shooting of someone who has a gun before the full situation has been digested.

Taken completely by itself, yes. Your analogy is accurate. However the end of my statement was that I was following the thought to its logical conclusion. That may be a stretch on my part, and if that isn't what you were implying then I retract the statement. Your views put forth in this discussion so far have led me to believe that is the case, however.

That would be a gross stretch on your part. By using your logic to get to the point that it's "easy" for cops to shoot someone means that any time something is "easier" than something else that you could say the "easier" thing is easy. What I have been saying the whole time is that our military operates under stricter Rules of Engagement than our police force and that is simply wrong. By the rules being stricter for the military it means that you can also say that they are looser for the police (when compared to the military standard), or in other words it is easier for the police to engage someone than the military due to their looser rules. And I'm sorry, but it shouldn't be harder to shoot an enemy combatant than one of our own citizens.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the fact is that if the cops are breaking into your house it's because they either have a search warrant, or feel you or someone in that house to be a dangerous threat that may cause serious injury/death to someone. Maybe both.

Or they have the wrong house. And the reason why they are breaking in can very easily be questionable. And there's the question of, is it truely required? Why not just arrest the person while they are at work, or on their way to work, or something like that? Do they really need to kick in the door and point weapons at people? What does that really accomplish in most cases?

Well, that seems like a tactical difference of opinion. I must simply agree to disagree.

Fair enough, but can you at least give your view on it for why you disagree.

1-2 seconds is a freaking eternity in a situation like that; I think you'll find that every SWAT/SRT team out there trains to give verbal commands loudly and constantly while making an entry for whatever reason. If you can find me one that doesn't, I'll be absolutely amazed and appalled.

This can go either way. It can seem like an eternity, especially for the police issuing the orders, but at the same time it isn't a lot of time. Especially when the tactics are designed to disorient the target to begin with. If your target can respond in 1-2 seconds then I would say that you didn't do a good job of disorienting them, and if they can't fully respond then more time is needed.

The police aren't at war with the citizenry. They're at war with the criminal element that hides among the citizenry, and yes it is a war. There's no sense in sugar-coating it. Does that justify inappropriate actions by law enforcement? No. Just as being a warzone doesn't excuse inappropriate behavior by deployed soldiers. The crux of THAT matter is below...

And here's my issue with this. They don't know who the bad guys are, and as such they slowly start to view everyone as a bad guy or potential bad guy (this seems to be more common in urban places). As such, even if they aren't at war with the citizenry they slowly start to act like it over time.

Indeed those were my words and I meant them. I couldn't find a different word that held the same implications and that fit the monumental distrust, vitriol, and outright hatred for law enforcement officers that is too often displayed on these forums. As you won't catch me defending Waco and Ruby Ridge you also won't catch me thinking those who oversaw the disciplinary actions of those incidents did all they could. Clearly they did not. I, however, refuse to apply those actions to the establishment as a whole.

I think part of the issue that people see on the forum is the whole thing about the few bad cops making disproportionate number of bad stops combined with the lack of discipline to fix the bad cops which is further excalibrated by the fact that carrying a weapon (especially OCing) makes one more likely to draw the attention of the police. As such you see many people posting about bad experiences and a lot of people take all of that to mean that we hate law enforcement. Do a lot of people distrust the cops? Sure, but why should they trust them? With the lack of discipline and the fact that most people don't know the officer they are interacting with you simply don't know if it's a good cop or bad cop. And so just as how the cops are slowly viewing more and more of the citizenry as part of the criminal element, you have more and more citizens starting to view the cops with distrust as they don't know what type of cop they're dealing with.

Now some people I on the forum do come across as flat out hating law enforcement, but I wouldn't say most people here do. It's simply where a lot of bad stories congregate and a good part of it has to do with the police mindset and training in how they interact with citizens.

I am not a Marine. I know this based upon the fact that I have numerous close friends who are Marines, and the fact that it states such in the book itself. As I mentioned, I was not sure if it was required reading for other branches and I know now it is not for the Air Force. Noted.

I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if some leadership were to push it as if it was mandatory, which would lead people under them to think it's required. But unless it's in a reg somewhere it isn't truely required. I've had to correct a lot of people in my career on what is and isn't mandatory or how to do things, but you better believe they were pushing it as if it was mandatory.

Aknazer

Ran this by one of my best friends of 16 years. Former Marine 0311. His response was, "What? Never heard of it."

Yea my marine friend said that he had heard of the book and it was recommended reading from leadership, but that it wasn't required. Though he did say it was a good book so I might have to check it out and see if it has more to it than just the militarization of the police force.

BaconMan

If I was a real bad guy and a person like Dog, was after me and there was no law enforcement agency around to make me think twice, just a bunch of private citizens that with arrest powers and no actual authority behind them.

I would battle any bounty hunter or private person trying to enforce their private citizen's arrest power during each encounter, until it was like the wild west days....there would be cities/towns I could live/travel thru openly and others I would have issues in. I would have no fear of a person trying to come after me for my past deeds and I would open carry, eventhough, I am a real bad guy.

Funny how folks during the wild west days wanted to stop folks from open carrying because they felt there was lawlessness, in some places worse than most major cities today. And today we listen to Dog, the bounty hunter, and would consider going back to the times of private/local law enforcement practices like those were the good old days, yeah right....

No one in today's society, except an idiot would want to bring back times like that to this country. The old good thing about those days, I would assume, is that the sorry anti-gun pukes would arm themselves...:eek:

Aknazer

If I was a real bad guy and a person like Dog, was after me and there was no law enforcement agency around to make me think twice, just a bunch of private citizens that with arrest powers and no actual authority behind them.

I would battle any bounty hunter or private person trying to enforce their private citizen's arrest power during each encounter, until it was like the wild west days....there would be cities/towns I could live/travel thru openly and others I would have issues in. I would have no fear of a person trying to come after me for my past deeds and I would open carry, eventhough, I am a real bad guy.

Funny how folks during the wild west days wanted to stop folks from open carrying because they felt there was lawlessness, in some places worse than most major cities today. And today we listen to Dog, the bounty hunter, and would consider going back to the times of private/local law enforcement practices like those were the good old days, yeah right....

No one in today's society, except an idiot would want to bring back times like that to this country. The old good thing about those days, I would assume, is that the sorry anti-gun pukes would arm themselves...:eek:

http://www.guncite.com/wild_west_myth.html

You should read that. The website in general has good information, but that one is about the "wild west" and how it was actually safer than today, and it was even safer than big cities of that era.

Kivuli

There is much more to the book than the reasons why law enforcement is becoming militarized. It's more a footnote in the foreword. I do implore anyone not to judge the book by that snippet, no matter if you agree or not.

Kivuli

Then please explain to me what your view is. To me there are only roughly four views on it. Either police need to use SWAT-like tactics as much as they currently are, they need to use them more, less, or they are using them just right. I am of the view that they need to use less SWAT style tactics while you have come across as one of the other three (all of which means you come across as holding the view that these types of tactics need to be used more than I feel they need to be used). Also please explain why you feel this way so that I can attempt to understand where you're coming from.

Well, I suspect I think they should be used more often than you think they should. I don't think they should be used more than they currently are. The reason I feel the way I do is that there are a lot of situations that could be handled by patrol officers, but not nearly as safely or as effectively.

It is but a piece in the puzzle to showing the overall mindset of cops on a national level. I know there are many cops not like this, but there are also many that have this mindset. I wish I could have found the original article on it, but the weapon was slung on his back and the fact remains that the cop saw what appeared to be a civilian with a gun and then shot him without ever taking in the full situation. The original articles were a bit better as the agencies didn't have time to come up with a cover story.

The article you linked stated that he had the weapon slung down his strong side and had his strong hand on it to keep it from bouncing. You won't catch me defending the transit cop's actions but nor will I condemn them out of hand as I wasn't there and didn't see what he saw. It's still a tragedy, however, and I do not think they were trying to cover anything up. Not release all the details so minimize looking incompetent, sure, but there isn't a person on this earth that isn't guilty of that at some point in their lives. Doesn't make it right, but doesn't make it sinister either.

That might be true, but what good is that training if they are taught to shoot people with a gun as a natural reaction? People have also posted how at various firing police ranges around the country the word used to start shooting is "GUN!" Which just goes to further reinforce the reflexive shooting of someone who has a gun before the full situation has been digested.

They're taught to shoot at threats, not people with guns. The totality of the circumstances are involved with this training. The simulators have full-motion interactive video and often there are multiple potential outcomes to any given scenario. You can use lethal force, less-than-lethal force, or even talk them down if you keep a cool head. The word the local PD and SD use around here isn't "GUN", I know that for a fact. I agree with you that using "GUN" is a bit narrow-minded.

That would be a gross stretch on your part. By using your logic to get to the point that it's "easy" for cops to shoot someone means that any time something is "easier" than something else that you could say the "easier" thing is easy. What I have been saying the whole time is that our military operates under stricter Rules of Engagement than our police force and that is simply wrong. By the rules being stricter for the military it means that you can also say that they are looser for the police (when compared to the military standard), or in other words it is easier for the police to engage someone than the military due to their looser rules. And I'm sorry, but it shouldn't be harder to shoot an enemy combatant than one of our own citizens.

It shouldn't be harder for a soldier to shoot an enemy than an officer to shoot an enemy, and I don't think it is in general. I do think the repercussions for an officer shooting an innocent are worse, however. The difference is that officers have been dealing with an insurgency-like theater for their entire existence.

Or they have the wrong house. And the reason why they are breaking in can very easily be questionable. And there's the question of, is it truely required? Why not just arrest the person while they are at work, or on their way to work, or something like that? Do they really need to kick in the door and point weapons at people? What does that really accomplish in most cases?

Or have the wrong house, granted. But if they have the wrong house, they are still under the impression that someone in there is a threat and are acting accordingly. Mistakes (sometimes tragic) happen. Is it truly needed is where we disagree. I argue that yes, in cases where SWAT/SRT are activated it usually is. Many criminals of that type do not just go to work, and when they do go out and about they are always armed. The option is thus: Confront them at a location and time of their choosing where innocents are in far greater number, or confront them at a place and time of SWAT/SRT's choosing where the situation is more carefully controllable and there will be minimal innocent bystanders. To add to this, sometimes the object of the search warrant simply is in the house. It's all about tactics and minimizing known and unknown risk. I'd wager the vast majority of SWAT/SRT callouts do not result in force beyond going hands-on or OC/Tazer usage.

Fair enough, but can you at least give your view on it for why you disagree.

After re-reading your response to that, I'm not so sure we disagree as much as I previously thought. The object is the same in both our cases, that being to stop the threat by any means necessary. I just feel that not meeting force with force when it is presented is bad tactics. We do agree that you shouldn't instantly make the gun appear in your hands, but to me that is the ultimate goal and as you said, I'd be constantly working on creating an opening to do so.

This can go either way. It can seem like an eternity, especially for the police issuing the orders, but at the same time it isn't a lot of time. Especially when the tactics are designed to disorient the target to begin with. If your target can respond in 1-2 seconds then I would say that you didn't do a good job of disorienting them, and if they can't fully respond then more time is needed.

True enough, but I also disagree that most SWAT/SRT tactics involve 1-2 second timespans between warning and shoot. As I previously said, most SWAT/SRT callouts do not result in deadly force being used.

And here's my issue with this. They don't know who the bad guys are, and as such they slowly start to view everyone as a bad guy or potential bad guy (this seems to be more common in urban places). As such, even if they aren't at war with the citizenry they slowly start to act like it over time.

The inverse of this is that if you treat everyone as a good guy, you start getting complacent and then people get killed. I'm not advocating being heavy-handed with everyone you meet, far from it, but none of the soldier friends I have from any branch ever let their guard down with a civilian in a warzone that they did not know. To do so would be dangerous. No less so for officers. Most officers can readily ascertain if John Q Public is a threat or not after just a few words exchanged. There are bad apples out there though, and those tend to spoil the bunch.

I think part of the issue that people see on the forum is the whole thing about the few bad cops making disproportionate number of bad stops combined with the lack of discipline to fix the bad cops which is further excalibrated by the fact that carrying a weapon (especially OCing) makes one more likely to draw the attention of the police. As such you see many people posting about bad experiences and a lot of people take all of that to mean that we hate law enforcement. Do a lot of people distrust the cops? Sure, but why should they trust them? With the lack of discipline and the fact that most people don't know the officer they are interacting with you simply don't know if it's a good cop or bad cop. And so just as how the cops are slowly viewing more and more of the citizenry as part of the criminal element, you have more and more citizens starting to view the cops with distrust as they don't know what type of cop they're dealing with.

Now some people I on the forum do come across as flat out hating law enforcement, but I wouldn't say most people here do. It's simply where a lot of bad stories congregate and a good part of it has to do with the police mindset and training in how they interact with citizens.

Yes, and that's the crux of the issue that I personally have. The bad stops, the bad encounters, the outrageous abuses get publicized and widely so. They stir up outrage, as well they should. I just wish that some of those who are so quick to raise a torch and pitchfork against law enforcement in general would raise them against the incident in question and not the entirety of law enforcement everywhere. Whether they truly mean to include all law enforcement in their tirades or they are merely using literary license, it becomes wearying to read for me.

I will say that I wouldn't be surprised if some leadership were to push it as if it was mandatory, which would lead people under them to think it's required. But unless it's in a reg somewhere it isn't truely required. I've had to correct a lot of people in my career on what is and isn't mandatory or how to do things, but you better believe they were pushing it as if it was mandatory.

Fair enough and the statement remains retracted. As I said though, the book itself doesn't deal with why police are becoming more militarized except briefly. The meat of the book is the physiological and psychological reactions of the human body and mind in a combat situation. It is a very good read indeed, as is its predecessor, "On Killing", which explores the same reactions in the act of killing in general.

Last edited:

Kivuli

All of this acknowledges, then avoids the issue altogether.

You cannot save everyone.
You cannot create a law enforcement superstructure to save everyone.

If people refuse to defend themselves or their family, then frankly, they are a waste and will be weeded out via natural selection. This may sound cold and callous but it is natural fact, and a product of our development.

I truly have 0 concern for those who will not take care of themselves, and law enforcement existing because of these individuals, is compulsory levy of my wages to support something I simply do not agree with.

Defend yourself or die. That's real life.

You are %100 correct in your statements and I agree with %95 of them. I am a huge believer in personal responsibility and self-sufficiency. Otherwise I wouldn't carry a gun to protect myself, and those that I love. I, however, believe that you cannot simply leave those people who will not defend themselves to the wolves, because when the non-sheep do not defend the sheep next to them (their well-being is not my responsibility) the wolves become more and more emboldened. Soon, they will start to join together into packs, then septs, then nations. Then they can overwhelm the non-sheep they could not before. The analogy I'm referring to is most readily applied to any of the street/outlaw motorcyle gangs out there, but the point remains. Society would quickly break up into pockets of organized resistance against a predatory superminority, with the sheep ground underfoot in the struggle. That is no way for a society to prosper.

SFCRetired

And SWAT/SRT teams are still a militarization of our police force and they are still used far more often than is truely needed.

The bolded part is the important part. With few exceptions that I can't talk about, "if you're engaged" generally refers to not only them shooting at you, but you also need to actually see them firing the weapon. Our cops don't have to wait until they are under fire before they can shoot, they're allowed to "preemptively" fire upon people. And when you combine that ability to preemptively shoot with SWAT/SRT tactics (which can very easily come across as bad guys to a disoriented home owner who just had their door kicked in and hasn't had a chance to fully take in the situation) and the overall militarization of the force (not just in equipment, but mindset as well) it has led to a police force that can, and does, shoot a "target" easier than our military.

And just a few examples would be the Costco shooting, the SWAT team that pumped like 60+ rounds into a guy who's gun was still on safe, the recent shooting a 57 autistic person, the Birk incident, the NYC cop who shot another NYC cop simply because he was in plain clothes, with an M16 on his BACK (not even drawn), and someone yelled "gun," and I'm sure other people can list plenty more situations. Nearly every one of these situations has to deal with the militarization of the force and the ease at which an officer may fire at a target.

EDIT: If I ever have to use my gun I hope that there aren't any cops around because I flat out don't trust them to figure out who the BGs are before they open fire. If they see a gun in the hand chances are they're going to shoot.

Thank you. You just made the point I was trying to make earlier, only much better than I could.

slowfiveoh

You are %100 correct in your statements and I agree with %95 of them. I am a huge believer in personal responsibility and self-sufficiency. Otherwise I wouldn't carry a gun to protect myself, and those that I love. I, however, believe that you cannot simply leave those people who will not defend themselves to the wolves, because when the non-sheep do not defend the sheep next to them (their well-being is not my responsibility) the wolves become more and more emboldened. Soon, they will start to join together into packs, then septs, then nations. Then they can overwhelm the non-sheep they could not before. The analogy I'm referring to is most readily applied to any of the street/outlaw motorcyle gangs out there, but the point remains. Society would quickly break up into pockets of organized resistance against a predatory superminority, with the sheep ground underfoot in the struggle. That is no way for a society to prosper.

The presence alone, of more and more sheepdogs, would make it tedious treading for any criminal to engage in criminal activities.

Walking amongst the general public with even a 30% visibly armed rate, would deter the living hell out of crime.

The higher the carry rate, no doubt, the lower the crime rate. This is visible even in todays demographics. Places like D.C. run rampant with crime, coupled with its corrupt cousin in Illinois (Chicago), and you have a large percentage of the U.S.'s cesspools accounted for.

NOVA here seems to be a great place to live. I'm enjoying my liberties here.

Kivuli

The presence alone, of more and more sheepdogs, would make it tedious treading for any criminal to engage in criminal activities.

Walking amongst the general public with even a 30% visibly armed rate, would deter the living hell out of crime.

The higher the carry rate, no doubt, the lower the crime rate. This is visible even in todays demographics. Places like D.C. run rampant with crime, coupled with its corrupt cousin in Illinois (Chicago), and you have a large percentage of the U.S.'s cesspools accounted for.

NOVA here seems to be a great place to live. I'm enjoying my liberties here.

I agree to a point (especially about the cesspools of civilization known as NYC, Chicago, and Washington DC). My biggest contention is the theory that more and more sheepdogs would appear. I just don't think that the majority part of the population has it in them.

Aknazer

I agree to a point (especially about the cesspools of civilization known as NYC, Chicago, and Washington DC). My biggest contention is the theory that more and more sheepdogs would appear. I just don't think that the majority part of the population has it in them.

The majority of people had it in them before, no reason to think that once the false security net known as the government* is removed that more and more people wouldn't find it in them again. I think it might take a little while, but I see no reason why over time it couldn't happen.

*I say the "false security net known as the government" because the government has led many people to believe that it is there to protect them and that it can protect them 100% of the time. We know that isn't true or else we likely wouldn't be carrying, but many people out there believe this.

Kivuli

It is a false sense of security, absolutely. Law enforcement is no excuse to stop watching out for your own well being. I do disagree that many would find it in them again. I think some might be able to step up, but I don't think enough could to counter the packs of criminals that would arise. More likely they would scream at government to protect them once again and would attempt legislative means rather than take their lives into their own hands.

Aknazer

It is a false sense of security, absolutely. Law enforcement is no excuse to stop watching out for your own well being. I do disagree that many would find it in them again. I think some might be able to step up, but I don't think enough could to counter the packs of criminals that would arise. More likely they would scream at government to protect them once again and would attempt legislative means rather than take their lives into their own hands.

By "take some time" I mean it might take a generation or two. We didn't get into this mess overnight and as such it will likely take some time to properly get us out of it. Of course it could be sped up, but the faster the transition the potential for issues. Now it's not going to be a 100% smooth transition, but going from child to adult never is, and that's basically what would be happening since as a society we have started to regress under the guise of "progress."

Kivuli

Can't disagree with most of that. What'll end up happening if the public is cut off from being able to stick their heads in the sand is more a trimming of the fat than turning the fat into muscle in my opinion. I maintain that a majority of people simply aren't wired to defend themselves against other humans. Given the choice of confronting an assailant or running away/cowering and hoping for mercy, most will choose the latter. To wit the panicked exodus from the IHOP tragedy in Nevada.

Aknazer

Can't disagree with most of that. What'll end up happening if the public is cut off from being able to stick their heads in the sand is more a trimming of the fat than turning the fat into muscle in my opinion. I maintain that a majority of people simply aren't wired to defend themselves against other humans. Given the choice of confronting an assailant or running away/cowering and hoping for mercy, most will choose the latter. To wit the panicked exodus from the IHOP tragedy in Nevada.

And how many in the IHOP were armed? You are right that the majority of people CURRENTLY aren't wired to defend theirselves. We haven't been raised that way in a long time. But I see no reason why as a society we couldn't get back to it. Some would call it regression and we all know that in the right circumstances a society can regress quite a ways back. Personally I'd call it progress that we've lost. You start by basically making people be more accountable for their safety. They then start teaching their kids this (though this also means that we have to fix the problem with a lot of "parents" not being parents and instead expecting the government to raise their kids). Over time you have more and more people carrying. Do I think everyone would end up carrying? No, I don't. But I do believe you could get to a point where things such as your IHOP example pretty much wouldn't happen or wouldn't have as many deaths to them. Why? Because most criminals would be too scared unless they were planning on dying, and even if they were planning on dying that even if only 50% of the people were carrying and 50% of those people froze up there would still be enough people with weapons to effectively stop the BG before the death toll got too high.

Now saying 1-2 generations is probably a bit unrealistic. But you have to start somewhere. Though for us to get there it is also going to require a change in the social mindset that simply won't happen with government at it's current size.

sraacke

I have to give this thread credit. I honestly believed that the Sheepdog illusion would rear it's sorry head long before the 94th post. I knew it would be along eventually but we almost made it to 100 posts without this sad mindset. Oh well. Another thread bites the sheepdog bone.

Last edited:

Kivuli

And how many in the IHOP were armed? You are right that the majority of people CURRENTLY aren't wired to defend theirselves. We haven't been raised that way in a long time. But I see no reason why as a society we couldn't get back to it. Some would call it regression and we all know that in the right circumstances a society can regress quite a ways back. Personally I'd call it progress that we've lost. You start by basically making people be more accountable for their safety. They then start teaching their kids this (though this also means that we have to fix the problem with a lot of "parents" not being parents and instead expecting the government to raise their kids). Over time you have more and more people carrying. Do I think everyone would end up carrying? No, I don't. But I do believe you could get to a point where things such as your IHOP example pretty much wouldn't happen or wouldn't have as many deaths to them. Why? Because most criminals would be too scared unless they were planning on dying, and even if they were planning on dying that even if only 50% of the people were carrying and 50% of those people froze up there would still be enough people with weapons to effectively stop the BG before the death toll got too high.

Now saying 1-2 generations is probably a bit unrealistic. But you have to start somewhere. Though for us to get there it is also going to require a change in the social mindset that simply won't happen with government at it's current size.

Then again, with all the intraspecies violence we have in video games and pop culture nowadays, you may be right. People can be re-wired; military and law enforcement do it all the time. As you say though, it'll take more than a generation or two.

Kivuli

I have to give this thread credit. I honestly believed that the Sheepdog illusion would rear it's sorry head long before the 94th post. I knew it would be along eventually but we almost made it to 100 posts without this sad mindset. Oh well. Another thread bites the sheepdog bone.

While some don't seem give the proverbial rat's arse about their fellow human beings in critical situations, the analogy serves its purpose. I'd wager a fair number do give the aforementioned arse. I don't think it's a sad mindset at all when perspective is used.