• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'r Robbed at gunpoint

sudden valley gunner

Its been discussed at length many of us are skeptical to all the facts involved. Notice how involved the CC group was involved in this story.

Also the OC'er wasn't targeted, he was robbed and when found out he had a gun made to give that over too. Was a crime of opportunity.

Batousaii

...but didn't this guy come back later and admit that he'd made the whole thing up? I know it was this or a similar story in the same general time period.

- I seem to remember the same thing (that he made it up) ... however ...

- As we "normalize" open carry... as it becomes more common place ... at some point.... Some one will get targeted and robbed for a gun, some one will be "the first one shot by a bad guy" ... Bad things can and likely will occur someday, logically, mathematically, these are probable events.

~ The more time and exposure that a given condition exists, the higher the chances are that external forces will discover it, affect it, alter it or impact it both negatively and positively. This is with ANYTHING.

Now, i 100% feel that Open Carry has way way WAY more chance of being a deterrent, and retains an advantage in both the speed and efficiency of deploying ones firearm while in a stressful situation. Benefits Open Cary indeed outweigh the drawbacks, but we should not blind ourselves to the potential negative events that could eventually (most likely will) result as our numbers grow, and exposure increases., and time goes on.

:dude: Bat

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't think this was the fake one. I do know what one you are referring to.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.
Hmmm, seems to be a pretty good point. OC may not ALWAYS have a deterrent value. Sometimes when you're walking through the "hood" you're better off with your hand on a LCR in your coat pocket...