• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG call in Kalispell on 08-19-2011

Lammo

Greetings from Washington. My wife and I just spent four days in Big Sky Country, riding our motorcycles on the Going To The Sun Road and around Flathead Lake. We stopped at the Harley dealer in Kalispell and as we were securing our new items on the bikes I heard a voice say "loaded gun". Since I was standing two parking spaces away with the Little Big Glock openly on my belt in my Blackhawk SERPA, I figure the guy was talking about me (also, no one else was in the parking lot - - extra credit if anyone can tell me how he could know that a holstered Glock was loaded). So, I'm pretty sure this guy was making a Man With A Gun call to the Kalispell PD or the local sheriff. I forget his exact next words but it was pretty clear that he was not going get the response he expected (parking lot full of squad cars taking down the eeeevil man with that awful gun). I had a momentary thought that I might be in trouble but then I remembered, Hey, I'm in MONTANA! Open carry here is perfectly fine. In fact it's better here than at home (if I'm wrong about that, please let me know).

I would love to hear the tape of the 911 call - - it would have been between 4:15 pm and about 4:45 pm on Saturday, 08-19-2011. Anybody know the procedure over there for requesting 911 tapes?

Last edited:

roadrider

open carry in Mt.

I 'm glad you had a great ride in Mt. Yes , we have some transplants that get "SCARED" when they see a gun that is Not attached to a leo, to bad.next year ck out www.kootenairollingthunder.com It's a bike ralley july 22nd -24th each year.free camping ,pig roast,ect.:lol:

MKEgal

Lammo said:
(extra credit if anyone can tell me how he could know that a holstered Glock was loaded).
Saw a magazine inserted?
But if he knew that much, wouldn't he be a bit calmer around guns & not likely to call 911 on you?
Or maybe he assumes every gun is loaded & held by a bad guy?
Or maybe he was saying whatever he could think of to get police there?

So, I'm pretty sure this guy was making a Man With A Gun call to the Kalispell PD or the local sheriff.
I would love to hear the tape of the 911 call - - it would have been between 4:15 pm and about 4:45 pm on Saturday, 08-19-2011. Anybody know the procedure over there for requesting 911 tapes?
Here: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=kalispell+mt+pd
The first link that comes up is for the city PD, the 4th* is the Sheriff.
I'd say just write them a standard FOIA / open records request letter with the info you just gave about date, time, location, etc.

* Just looked at it again, & the Sheriff link moved down the list a couple places.

Last edited:

DocWalker

In Montana they probably get more calls about MWOAG...(Man Without a Gun)...lol

The reason he said loaded was to make it more dramatic so he could get more of a response from the 911 operator. I could see him calling 911 "yes, there is a guy who appears to be carring a pistol secured in a retention holster and is about to go about his law abinding way after shopping. You better get hear quick and do something".

Lammo

SNIP

Here: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=kalispell+mt+pd
The first link that comes up is for the city PD, the 4th is the Sheriff.
I'd say just write them a standard FOIA / open records request letter with the info you just gave about date, time, location, etc.

Ha ha. I love "Let Me Google That For You". Been there, done that. Been all through Flathead 911 (which covers Kalispell) with no info on how to make a request. I'll do as suggested though. I really want to hear how the call went from both sides. Thanks!

Gunslinger

In Montana they probably get more calls about MWOAG...(Man Without a Gun)...lol

The reason he said loaded was to make it more dramatic so he could get more of a response from the 911 operator. I could see him calling 911 "yes, there is a guy who appears to be carring a pistol secured in a retention holster and is about to go about his law abinding way after shopping. You better get hear quick and do something".

I was thinking the same thing. The dispatcher should have said "so?"

MT4Runner

We have a new consolidated city-county 911 dispatch center.

I don't recall if the Harley dealer is in city limits or outside city limits.

here's a contact form for the 911 center:
http://www.flathead911.com/contact.htm

Here are non-emergency phone numbers for Kalispell City Police, Flathead County Sheriff, etc.:

Flathead County Sheriff's Office (Business Calls) 406-758-5585

Kalispell Police Department 406-758-7780

Lammo

We have a new consolidated city-county 911 dispatch center.

I don't recall if the Harley dealer is in city limits or outside city limits.

here's a contact form for the 911 center:
http://www.flathead911.com/contact.htm

Here are non-emergency phone numbers for Kalispell City Police, Flathead County Sheriff, etc.:

Flathead County Sheriff's Office (Business Calls) 406-758-5585

Kalispell Police Department 406-758-7780

Cool. I'll give those a try and if I manage to get hold of the audio I'll try to upload it.

40s-and-wfan

Transplant: "MAN WITH A GUN. HE HAS A GUN ON HIS BELT!!"
Dispatcher: "So, there's nothing wrong with that."

I know many of the cops around here and I can tell you from personal experience and conversation that they have nothing against carrying. Granted, there are those who would ask you to disarm while they're in the premises, which I wouldn't do. There is nothing wrong with carrying. The more cops who realize this, the better off we'd be!!