• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do police carrying off duty violate the equal protection clause of the cosntitution?

GIdeon_70

Police carry guns.

Police carry guns off duty and can carry openly in most state off duty.

In my state, Florida, police carry guns openly on or off duty.

The law says, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Police, off duty, have the RIGHT to protect themselves. They have the right to carry. They have the right to defend themselves.

The Supreme Court said that basic rights like the 2nd, are fundamental. That would imply that Strict scrutiny applies, and that standards is this... "the law is unconstitutional unless it is "narrowly tailored" to serve a "compelling" government interest. In addition, there cannot be a "less restrictive" alternative available to achieve that compelling interest."

You could argue that allowing police to carry arms while disarming citizens is a narrowly tailored law, but that would fly in the face of the Heller/McDonald decisions because the same argument would apply within the home - and was rejected, not on point but strongly implied by the decisions. My reading in McDonald would imply near enough to on point to make little difference. Plus it was one of the founders greatest fears that the government would be better armed and have a standing army over civilians... both of which are visualized in the police departments and National Guard.

So, I would ask, if there are any legal eagles in the group, do you think a lawsuit based on equal protection of the laws - on a police officer being allowed to arm himself openly while citizens cannot - violates the equal protection clause of the Constitution?

TFED12

Police carry guns.

Police carry guns off duty and can carry openly in most state off duty.

In my state, Florida, police carry guns openly on or off duty.

The law says, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is a FEDERAL Law. Not a state law. So, there is no violation of of the equal protection clause. Any qualified LEO can carry anywhere in the US with some restrictions depending on the state they are in.

77zach

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is a FEDERAL Law. Not a state law. So, there is no violation of of the equal protection clause. Any qualified LEO can carry anywhere in the US with some restrictions depending on the state they are in.

Regardless of LEOSA, Fl law allows off duty cops to OC.Agencies can restrict OC but state law does not.

hammer6

Regardless of LEOSA, Fl law allows off duty cops to OC.Agencies can restrict OC but state law does not.

agreed. i was at a softball park, and a plain clothes cop walks up with his buddies, badge around his neck, gun on hip. then he puts his badge in his shirt, flips the shirt over his gun (paddle holster- so really not concealed lol) and continues on to watch a softball game.

there's a lot of cops that play at this park...i actually run the concession stand..

TFED12

77zach

You are correct. So, the OP's question can be looked at two ways. He may have a point about Florida law violating the constitution. But , Federal Law-LEOSA does not. Agencies can not restrict their officers under LEOSA, but state law can restrict where LEOSA is allowed to carry. LEOSA requires that any officer carrying under LEOSA must still abide by state firearms laws. Florida should just do away with its law and that would solve the constituitonal question and there would be no change in a LEO's status as far as carrying.

Oh, and I think you quoted the wrong posters. LOL ;)

Last edited: