Thread: OC in Columbus

OC in Columbus

I hardly ever OC here. In fact, my carry is quite limited because anytime I leave the house I'm probably going to one or more of the forbidden places (government installation, church, or post office). However, after ventilating some paper at Mitch's Saturday morning, I OCed my M&P for lunch at Sweet Pepper's deli and then an hour or so of shopping at the Museum of the Decline of American Civilization (a.k.a. Walmart). As usual, no problems. I think most people didn't even notice.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Glad to hear you didn't have any encounters. Have you considered taking a firearms course so you can get an endorsement on your permit? I know most folks on here despise the training requirement but its not bad at all. I got the endorsement about 2 weeks ago. You'll at least be able to carry in the "forbidden" places except police stations, prisons, crackhouses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bigun220 View Post
    Glad to hear you didn't have any encounters. Have you considered taking a firearms course so you can get an endorsement on your permit? I know most folks on here despise the training requirement but its not bad at all. I got the endorsement about 2 weeks ago. You'll at least be able to carry in the "forbidden" places except police stations, prisons, crackhouses, etc.
    Pardon the thread hijack, but what course did you take to get the endorsement? I haven't seen a list of what would count as an "approved" course. I assume the NRA's "Basic Pistol Shooting Course" or something equivalent would work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    Pardon the thread hijack, but what course did you take to get the endorsement? I haven't seen a list of what would count as an "approved" course. I assume the NRA's "Basic Pistol Shooting Course" or something equivalent would work.
    I completed the "Handgun Safety and Shooting Fundamentals" course at Elite Arms Training in Wiggins, MS. As far as I know, DPS will accept any NRA course or similar 8hr course if completed after july 1st.

DPS has a list of instructors. http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.n...s?OpenDocument
    Last edited by bigun220; 08-23-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: instructor list link provided

Quote Originally Posted by bigun220 View Post
    ....Have you considered taking a firearms course so you can get an endorsement on your permit? I know most folks on here despise the training requirement but its not bad at all. I got the endorsement about 2 weeks ago. You'll at least be able to carry in the "forbidden" places except police stations, prisons, crackhouses, etc.
    Not much point, really. It still wouldn't help me at 2 of the 3 big obstacles (base & P.O.). Besides, I'll be doing all my OC for the next year in Afghanistan. I don't think anyone there will ask me for my permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    SNIP... Besides, I'll be doing all my OC for the next year in Afghanistan. I don't think anyone there will ask me for my permit.
    You will have no problem with people asking for a permit here, no one has once batted an eye... but of course everyone else is carrying also!
    Stay safe when you get over here and get back home without a Purple Heart!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Not much point, really. It still wouldn't help me at 2 of the 3 big obstacles (base & P.O.). Besides, I'll be doing all my OC for the next year in Afghanistan. I don't think anyone there will ask me for my permit.
    Ohh. Yeah I don't think they will ask in Afghanistan. Be careful over there.

OCed on my evening walk around the neighborhood with my wife. It was pretty dark and we really didn't encounter anybody (except for cars passing on the street), so it doesn't really count.