• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Citizen Training CCW Class Review

Deadscott

I attended this class last Friday. Here is my review;

It was convenient because the guys at Armed Citizen Training offered photo and finger print service at the class. The finger print cost ten dollars but the photo was included. That means if you bring a copy of your drivers licence you can mail in for your Utah permit on the way home. There were 12 people in attendance, two were women.

Let me start by saying I took this class to meet the Wisconsin CCW training requirement, the Utah permit was just a side benefit for me. For those of you that are yelling "don't waste your money, we don't know what the requirements are!", we do know. Any class that offers basic pistol by a NRA certified instructor will meet the requirements. There are many other ways qualify, this is just one way.

The class was taught by two NRA instructors, John and Anthony. Both Wounded Warriors from our current war. It was interesting to learn from people who have had to shoot bad guys. They know what it takes.

The class started with getting the paperwork out of the way, the photos were taken when we showed up. Finger prints were taken during the class. We've been discussing all thing concerning concealed carry in Wisconsin on our forums, so I was familiar with most of the information this class offers.

We covered basic handgun types and their actions, DA, SA and so on. How they function and malfunction. Remember during the whole class they could refer to the combat experience, which made some of the scenarios we discussed that much more real. We then covered ammunition. Anthony's personal choice was Hornadys Critical Defense, the same as I choose to use!

We then moved on to actual concealed carry practices. I had not intended to carry a backup gun, but during their demonstrations of attack, I realized how important carrying a BUG was. Not only because your main gun may fail, but because of the nature of some attacks. You may not be able to use your strong arm to reach you main gun. With a BUG on your weak side, you have another layer of defense. Our discussion changed my opinion on BUGS.

Then we covered some exercises we could practice at the range and at home. I learned a few things I can do at home to improve my response time. I liked this part of the class very much.

We then covered laws. Since this was a Utah Permit class, we covered their laws first. Then moved on to Wisconsin's new law. They seemed very knowledgeable. We have digested every line of the law on our forums so I knew most of this subject. Some of the other people in the class seemed surprised when discussing the law, I don't believe many really knew or understood our new law.

Since I have never taken any concealed carry classes before, I don't have any experience to gauge this class by. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, I learn some things that I had not thought about and I qualified for my Utah and Wisconsin permits for $60. I would recommend their classes.

http://www.armedcitizentraining.us/

Glockface

I took this class with about 15 postal workers and we had a great class! Lot's of info to disect! The instuctors were great!
Ditto the recommendation.

Glockface

One of my friends that went to the class last night also won the gun raffle so he's real happy.He's taking the .357 pistol.

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Let me start by saying I took this class to meet the Wisconsin CCW training requirement, the Utah permit was just a side benefit for me. For those of you that are yelling "don't waste your money, we don't know what the requirements are!", we do know. Any class that offers basic pistol by a NRA certified instructor will meet the requirements. There are many other ways qualify, this is just one way.

Also, one of the "Other" options in the requirements is possessing an out of state CC permit. If you get your Utah by Nov. 1st you can use that to qualify for the WI. Two requirements for the price of one, and it sounds like the class was a real hit.

Thanks for the review

jpm84092

I am very pleased that WI citizens had a chance to take a course that was offered well below market rate ($125), And it sounds like the course was very well done. Congrats to instructors & students alike.