• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Support gun rights in 2011 Virginia State Senate Races

rsarvis

As I'm sure you are all aware, Va. state elections this year in November provide an opportunity to unseat many of the anti-gun incumbents in the Va. State Senate. One such incumbent is Dick Saslaw, thirty-year incumbent Democrat and Senate Majority Leader. I'm running against him in the 35th District—his first Republican challenger in 12 years.

http://www.robertsarvis.com (More Issues statements, including on gun rights, to be posted very soon.)

Obviously, if you live in the 35th District, I'd like your vote. But this post isn't just about me; it's about all the candidates challenging incumbents, and the importance of voting for candidates who support individual rights. Find out where they stand, and VOTE!

As for me, gun rights are a personal, political, and constitutional issue. When I was young, my dad taught me gun safety and took me target-shooting at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club. Growing up knowledgeable about gun safety and the responsible recreational use of guns and rifles led me as an adult to have respect for law-abiding gun-owners and their rights. Attempts to demonize "gun culture" and demean gun-owners (remember when Dick Saslaw compared gun-owners to the cast of Deliverance?) just don't square with my experience knowing gun-owners and gun enthusiasts. And because I have followed policy analyses of gun-control laws, I know that strict gun-control laws, or deep skepticism of widespread gun-ownership, is unjustified. Indeed, law-abiding gun-owners are the friends of both liberty AND public safety. And as a constitutional matter, I have kept abreast of the debate over the original meaning of the Second Amendment and I am satisfied and confident that D.C. v. Heller was decided correctly and that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sincerely hope that you have received and returned the VCDL candidate survey.

This is part of the process by which VCDL determines who they shall endorse/support for office.

t33j

I'm running against [Saslaw] in the 35th District—his first Republican challenger in 12 years.

Sounds like a tough battle given the location, but I think this is probably the most cause for hope I've heard all year.

Ditto what Grapeshot said. I'm not sure why there's this distinction but the VCDL-PAC makes endorsements, not VCDL actual.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Snip --- I'm not sure why there's this distinction but the VCDL-PAC makes endorsements, not VCDL actual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_action_committee

When an interest group, union, or corporation wants to contribute to federal candidates or parties, it must do so through a PAC. These PACs receive and raise money from a "restricted class," generally consisting of managers and shareholders in the case of a corporation, and members in the case of abute funds to candidates for federal office. Contributions from corporate or labor union treasuries are illegal, though they may sponsor a PAC and provide financial support for its administration and fundraising. Overall, PACs account for less than thirty percent of total contributions in U.S. Congressional races, and considerably less in presidential races.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Contributions by individuals to federal PACs are limited to $5,000 per year. It is important to note, however, that as a result of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit decision in SpeechNow.org v. FEC, PACs which make only "independent expenditures" (that is, advertisements or other spending that calls for the election or defeat of a federal candidate but which is not coordinated with a federal candidate or political party) are not bound by this contribution limit.
Corporations and unions may not contribute directly to federal PACs, though they may pay for the administrative costs of a PAC affiliated with the specific corporation or union. Corporate-affiliated PACs may only solicit contributions from executives, shareholders, and their families, while union-affiliated PACs may only solicit contributions from members. "Independent" PACs not affiliated with a corporation, union, or trade or membership association may solicit contributions from the general public but must pay their operating costs from these regulated contributions.
Federal multi-candidate PACs are limited in the amount of money they can contribute to candidate campaigns or other organizations:
  • at most $5,000 per candidate per election. Elections such as primaries, general elections and special elections are counted separately.
  • at most $15,000 per political party per year.
  • at most $5,000 per PAC per year.
Under federal law, PACs are not limited in their ability to spend money independently of a candidate campaign. This may include expenditures on activities in support of (or against) a candidate, as long as they are not coordinated with the candidate.
If two or more PACs share the same sponsoring organization, they are considered to be "affiliated" and their total donations are counted under aggregate limits, i.e. the total donations from all may not exceed $5,000 for a specific candidate in a given election.
PACs must report all of the financial activities, including direct donations and other expenses, to the Federal Election Commission (FEC), which makes the reports available to the public.

apollosmom

3rd Senate District

Back when we were fighting for restaurant concealed carry, I contacted Sen. Tommy Norment (R-James City County) asking for his support...I still have his written "no thank you" responding that he was concerned about the impact on the tourist and restaurant industry (but he supported the 2A). Too bad he was more concerned for the beverage, restaurant and tourist industry of the Historic Triangle....I'll strongly consider his record in years past as I vote tomorrow morning....also noted he didn't have the time to complete the VCDL survey either...gee, I somehow detect a pattern here...

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
As I'm sure you are all aware, Va. state elections this year in November provide an opportunity to unseat many of the anti-gun incumbents in the Va. State Senate. One such incumbent is Dick Saslaw, thirty-year incumbent Democrat and Senate Majority Leader. I'm running against him in the 35th District—his first Republican challenger in 12 years.

http://www.robertsarvis.com (More Issues statements, including on gun rights, to be posted very soon.)

Obviously, if you live in the 35th District, I'd like your vote. But this post isn't just about me; it's about all the candidates challenging incumbents, and the importance of voting for candidates who support individual rights. Find out where they stand, and VOTE!

As for me, gun rights are a personal, political, and constitutional issue. When I was young, my dad taught me gun safety and took me target-shooting at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club. Growing up knowledgeable about gun safety and the responsible recreational use of guns and rifles led me as an adult to have respect for law-abiding gun-owners and their rights. Attempts to demonize "gun culture" and demean gun-owners (remember when Dick Saslaw compared gun-owners to the cast of Deliverance?) just don't square with my experience knowing gun-owners and gun enthusiasts. And because I have followed policy analyses of gun-control laws, I know that strict gun-control laws, or deep skepticism of widespread gun-ownership, is unjustified. Indeed, law-abiding gun-owners are the friends of both liberty AND public safety. And as a constitutional matter, I have kept abreast of the debate over the original meaning of the Second Amendment and I am satisfied and confident that D.C. v. Heller was decided correctly and that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Mr. Sarvis, as you know, I live in the 35th and you and I have previously communicated on 2nd Amendment issues; your need to obtain, fill out and return the VCDL survey and join VCDL; the proposed VDOT issues concerning the HOT Lane flyover, and the absolute need to defeat Saslaw in the coming election.

Please let me know how I can help you win in the 35th this November.

jnojr

Mr. Sarvis, as you know, I live in the 35th and you and I have previously communicated on 2nd Amendment issues; your need to obtain, fill out and return the VCDL survey and join VCDL

I wanted to echo this... I'm not in the 35th District, but IMO it is imperative for any politician who claims to support the Second Amendment to actually do so. Words, especially before elections, aren't worth much. I want to see people who will actually support our rights.