• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked Councilman Steve Ross on the air how he felt about open carry.

CSINEV

Councilman Steve Ross was on KDWN 720 am the talk show from 9:00am to 12:00pm today. Has I turned on the radio he was commenting on how he liked the shooting park and felt it was an asset to the community. (Now I know how some of you feel about the shooting park on here so lets stay on topic please. :)) He went on to say he was a gun owner and a big supporter of the 2nd amendment.

I called in and got to ask him if he supports a citizen's legal right to open carry a firearm in Nevada, on our streets, in our public buildings, and parks. I also asked him if he would support removing city ordnances that were no longer able to be enforced due to the state law taking precedents over them. Like City of Henderson, Boulder City, or Reno have started to do.

His reply, absolutely! He said he was a big supporter of Senator Lee's bill and he believed very strongly in gun owner's rights. He did say he had our back and would support a persons right to own and carry a firearm anytime.

Cisco

I know Steve Ross. He is a friend of mine. While he is a Democrat, (Hey, nobody is perfect), he is a Conservative Democrat. I would vote for him in a second if I could. He is an upstanding man, and says what he means. He is definitely a 2nd Amendment supporter, and is a good man to try to work on repealing the illegal parks gun laws.

Nevada carrier

there are many conservatives in Nevada that are forced to run as democrat candidates because in Clark county you get elected on name recognition and having a D next to your name on the ballot.

Vegassteve

I know Steve Ross. He is a friend of mine. While he is a Democrat, (Hey, nobody is perfect), he is a Conservative Democrat. I would vote for him in a second if I could. He is an upstanding man, and says what he means. He is definitely a 2nd Amendment supporter, and is a good man to try to work on repealing the illegal parks gun laws.

Then we need to get a meeting with him. We are working on the parks issue and he could be our inside lead.

The Big Guy

Who is Steve Ross?

The following is from the City of Las Vegas Web site:

Councilman Steven D. Ross

Ward 6

Councilman Steve Ross represents Ward 6, the fastest growing area of Las Vegas. Ward 6 encompasses the far northwest and Centennial Hills—an area that has doubled in population in the last six years.

Ross, a native Nevadan, was born in Reno and, as a child, moved to Las Vegas with his family. He graduated from Western High School and went on to study at the University of Nevada, Reno and UNLV. With deep roots in the community, Ross ran for office for the first time in the spring election of 2005 and was re-elected April 2009.

Growth and a changing population create unparalleled challenges in Ward 6. Councilman Ross is committed to protecting the existing rural areas while at the same time making Ward 6 an attractive place for new families. To accomplish these goals, Councilman Ross has placed public safety, smart growth and providing recreational opportunities as his top priorities. Councilman Ross believes it is important to make sure that public services and structures such as fire stations, police, roads and flood control channels keep pace with the growth in the community.

As the Ward 6 councilman, Steve Ross currently serves as a commissioner on the Regional Transportation Commission and the Regional Flood Control boards as well as serving as a member of the Clark County Shooting Park Advisory Committee, the Southern Nevada Workforce Investment Board, the Clean Water Coalition, the Nevada League of Cities and an alternate for the Southern Nevada Board of Health. Previously, Councilman Ross served on the Las Vegas Housing Authority and the Yucca Mountain Advisory Committee.

Steve Ross’ election to the Las Vegas City Council follows years of community involvement as a volunteer—and Councilman Ross continues those volunteer efforts today. He is currently on the Board of Directors for the Las Vegas Area Boy Scout Council and has been very active with Little League, lacrosse and other youth activities. Ross is an active member of his church.

Councilman Ross is working to expand employment opportunities in the northwest. With the opening of the Centennial Hills Hospital, there are new opportunities for medical offices and facilities. He is also working on ensuring that employment centers and industrial centers are created in the northwest to bring much needed jobs to our community. Councilman Ross worked with the College of Southern Nevada to identify land for a future campus to bring educational opportunities to our youth and training for all families. Councilman Ross has been instrumental in the approval of two new fire stations in Ward 6, and is also working towards a Ward 6 (northwest) police substation at Buffalo Drive and Deer Springs Way. Councilman Ross opened the largest community and senior center in Nevada and the Centennial Hills library.

A certified master electrician, Ross served for a number of years as an assistant business manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Steve Ross also knows how important it is to represent the needs of small business owners having worked for many small business owners over his career.

Councilman Ross and his wife Kelli have five children and seven grandchildren, with another one on the way. He likes to say his own family provides a constant reminder of his obligation to protect the quality of life for all families in Ward 6.

As he is a Clark County Shooting Park Advisory Committee member, I will be writing him to express my opposition to the shooting publics support of said park until the County honors state law and my constitutional rights.

Those who are in his Ward need to call, write and email him asking him to support repeal of Las Vegas ordinances that are in violation of State law.

TBG

Last edited:

The Big Guy

My communication sent to Councilman Ross

Councilman Ross

As you are a Clark County Shooting Park Advisory Committee member, and member of the Las Vegas City Council, I am writing to let you know that until Clark County follows state law with regard to firearms preemption and honors my constitutional rights, I will not use this County facility. I am also encouraging all other shooters to do the same. I am contacting event sponsors and asking them not to support Clark County facilities until they do support individual rights. As a law abiding member of the community who happens to open carry, I will not support any business who does not support my second amendment right. Why should I support the county who takes my tax money and then uses it to ignore my rights?

I spent the last year working with the City of Henderson to bring them inline with current state law. They now do so. I can now carry in city buildings and parks with no fear of being confronted by law enforcement.

As you have stated that you support open carry, state preemption and the 2nd amendment, I encourage you to use your position and influence to make the changes needed to bring the City of Las Vegas and Clark County into line with the US Constitution, the Nevada Constitution and State preemption.

Best Regards

TBG

CSINEV

Nice letter TBG.:) I would've only added an invite to your next monthly lunch. IMHO I feel it is always good to show an openness to meet and greet along with a list of demands to do your job. As a business owner, native to the valley, Regional flood control committee member, and HOA officer. The one thing I have learned when dealing with city councilman over the years is if they can see your numbers they will move in your favor a lot faster. Also to have a councilman pushing to have the laws changed will make it happen a lot faster. Dealing with the workers like you had to in Henderson made that process take way too long. The city counsel wields a lot of power in any city and when ever I want something done or changed I skip all others and go straight to them.

The Big Guy

Nice letter TBG.:) I would've only added an invite to your next monthly lunch. IMHO I feel it is always good to show an openness to meet and greet along with a list of demands to do your job. As a business owner, native to the valley, Regional flood control committee member, and HOA officer. The one thing I have learned when dealing with city councilman over the years is if they can see your numbers they will move in your favor a lot faster. Also to have a councilman pushing to have the laws changed will make it happen a lot faster. Dealing with the workers like you had to in Henderson made that process take way too long. The city counsel wields a lot of power in any city and when ever I want something done or changed I skip all others and go straight to them.

In dealing with the City of Henderson I felt I needed to go through the CA's office as in a matter such as this the Mayor and Council would have sought her advice anyway. That is what they pay the CA for, to be their legal advisor. If I had not pressured the City Attorney first, nothing would have happened as they made it quite clear in the beginning that the CA's office was not going to do anything to change policy. She had to be persuaded.

Unfortunately Clark County is different as the DA has made it quite clear to numerous people that he does not give 2 cents what the citizens think or what the law is or how much it costs the county to defend its self. He is going to do what he pleases. Ditto with the Sheriff. It is going to take litigation, or change in law at the local or state level to get the changes made here and most likely by ballot initiative. Economic pressure, legal pressure, voter pressure, all may be needed to work things out in Clark County, Las Vegas and N Las Vegas. It certainly will help to enlist the aid of someone on the inside with some pull however.

I have not been able to attend the monthly Saturday get together as they are normally taken up with family matters. Inviting him is a good idea but not my place as I'm not involved in coordinating them.

Just do what you can and never give up. Chip away a little at a time.

TBG

The Big Guy

The Response

Councilman Ross

As you are a Clark County Shooting Park Advisory Committee member, and member of the Las Vegas City Council, I am writing to let you know that until Clark County follows state law with regard to firearms preemption and honors my constitutional rights, I will not use this County facility. I am also encouraging all other shooters to do the same. I am contacting event sponsors and asking them not to support Clark County facilities until they do support individual rights. As a law abiding member of the community who happens to open carry, I will not support any business who does not support my second amendment right. Why should I support the county who takes my tax money and then uses it to ignore my rights?

I spent the last year working with the City of Henderson to bring them inline with current state law. They now do so. I can now carry in city buildings and parks with no fear of being confronted by law enforcement.

As you have stated that you support open carry, state preemption and the 2nd amendment, I encourage you to use your position and influence to make the changes needed to bring the City of Las Vegas and Clark County into line with the US Constitution, the Nevada Constitution and State preemption.

Best Regards

TBG

Mr. XXX:

Councilman Ross received your email and asked that I respond. First, Councilman Ross is no longer a member of the Clark County Shooting Park Advisory Committee. The Clark County Commissioner that represents the area where the Shooting Range is located is Tom Collins. You may want to contact his office and share your concerns.

Just as a matter of clarification, the City Attorney has informed the Councilman that state law only impacts state parks, not municipal ones. The City's Municipal Code does not allow firearms in City parks except when carried by law enforcement officers. We are told that is because City property is patrolled by City Marshals who are armed law enforcement officers. Thanks for contacting us.

Tuesday James
Liaison to Councilman Ross

And My Response:

Thank you for your response. The councilman needs to consider either the City Attorney lied to him, or does not know what he is talking about. Either is unacceptable. State law preempts local ordinance and has for quite some time. As Councilman Ross was recently on local radio talking about what a firm supporter he is of the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution and the NV Constitution I figured he may want to back up his words with action and get the local officials to obey State law. I'm very much hoping that someday we can have a law in NV like FL just passed which hold local officials accountable for not following state preemption and fines them heavily.

TBG

CSINEV

I Just sent this to theCouncilman

August 30, 2011
Dear Councilman Ross,
I was the one who spoke to you on the radio show last week and asked if you would support current state law on preemption of gun laws over county and city entities. You had said, “Yes, I am a big 2nd amendment supporter and believed strongly in Nevada’s state law with regard to gun regulation.”
NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 400,000 or more.
1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
2. The governing body of a city may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)
My question to you sir is this, will you work to correct all city ordinances that are not in line with current state law on open carry of firearms? It has come to my attention that this question was asked of you recently. You referred it to one of your staff for reply. He simply said, “the city attorney told you that the law only covers state parks and not city parks.” This is simply not a true statement and someone from your office needs to actually read the NRS statute. As you can see above the city has no authority to regulate the open carry of fire arms in city parks. REMEMBER WE ARE TALKING ABOUT OPEN CARRY NOT CONCELED. This is important because they have different laws for each. Boulder City and The City of Henderson have both reviewed the law and reached the same conclusion. They found they were in violation of state law and have since worked to change their local ordinances to comply with the state NRS.
I know you’re a busy man but could you please take the time to look into this yourself. I think it is really important that as citizens of this great state we not have our rights infringed upon by out dated ordnances or regulations.
I look forward to hiring from you on this matter God bless and keep you safe.
CSINEV

The Big Guy

August 30, 2011
Dear Councilman Ross,
I was the one who spoke to you on the radio show last week and asked if you would support current state law on preemption of gun laws over county and city entities. You had said, “Yes, I am a big 2nd amendment supporter and believed strongly in Nevada’s state law with regard to gun regulation.”
NRS 268.418 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of firearms in city in county whose population is 400,000 or more.
1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no city may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
2. The governing body of a city may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
3. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.
(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289)
My question to you sir is this, will you work to correct all city ordinances that are not in line with current state law on open carry of firearms? It has come to my attention that this question was asked of you recently. You referred it to one of your staff for reply. He simply said, “the city attorney told you that the law only covers state parks and not city parks.” This is simply not a true statement and someone from your office needs to actually read the NRS statute. As you can see above the city has no authority to regulate the open carry of fire arms in city parks. REMEMBER WE ARE TALKING ABOUT OPEN CARRY NOT CONCELED. This is important because they have different laws for each. Boulder City and The City of Henderson have both reviewed the law and reached the same conclusion. They found they were in violation of state law and have since worked to change their local ordinances to comply with the state NRS.
I know you’re a busy man but could you please take the time to look into this yourself. I think it is really important that as citizens of this great state we not have our rights infringed upon by out dated ordnances or regulations.
I look forward to hiring from you on this matter God bless and keep you safe.
CSINEV

Good job.

TBG

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have not heard back from him. And if I do hear back and it is from a underling and not him, I will not be happy.

I concur. How busy an a councilman possibly be? Why can't he answer letters himself? I have received letters from my Congressman. Sure, he might not have wrote them, but at least he signed them. It seems like he is letting his liason respond so that he can dispute it later on. Good luck!

The Big Guy

I have not heard back from him. And if I do hear back and it is from a underling and not him, I will not be happy.

Yeah, he blew me off. I'm not one of his voter base so he certainly couldn't care less about my opinion. I get the idea that he is a typical polititian, all mouth.

TBG

Vegassteve

Yeah, he blew me off. I'm not one of his voter base so he certainly couldn't care less about my opinion. I get the idea that he is a typical polititian, all mouth.

TBG

Same thing though happened to me when writing my guy. He had a rep answer it then sent me to the city and county to talk about the parks issue rather than stepping up for me.

Cisco

I spoke with Councilman Ross yesterday by phone. I explained the situation to him.
Now, please know that I am still fairly new to all this, and am uninformed appropriately at a lot of the laws.

In a nutshell, Steve asked me to tell you that he recalls the radio call. His aide also showed him the letter written by The Big Guy. He instructed his aide to respond.

He asked me to let you all know that he meant what he said. He is an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and also is a carrier, both OC and concealed. I discussed the conflict of laws on carrying in the parks, but I was unable to cite the laws, only to describe them to him. He said the city should never trump State law, and he will speak to the sheriff about this.

Lastly, I told him I would email him the link to this page, so he can see what is being said. I am telling you this, so you can rectify my ignorance, and explain to him on this forum what exactly we are seeking to fix.

Steve is a great man. I know him to be a very upstanding man. There are few people I consider friends. Most people are acquaintances. I am selective on my friendship. I tell you this to try to reassure you that he is on our side, and not just another politician.

The Big Guy

I spoke with Councilman Ross yesterday by phone. I explained the situation to him.
Now, please know that I am still fairly new to all this, and am uninformed appropriately at a lot of the laws.

In a nutshell, Steve asked me to tell you that he recalls the radio call. His aide also showed him the letter written by The Big Guy. He instructed his aide to respond.

He asked me to let you all know that he meant what he said. He is an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and also is a carrier, both OC and concealed. I discussed the conflict of laws on carrying in the parks, but I was unable to cite the laws, only to describe them to him. He said the city should never trump State law, and he will speak to the sheriff about this.

Lastly, I told him I would email him the link to this page, so he can see what is being said. I am telling you this, so you can rectify my ignorance, and explain to him on this forum what exactly we are seeking to fix.

Steve is a great man. I know him to be a very upstanding man. There are few people I consider friends. Most people are acquaintances. I am selective on my friendship. I tell you this to try to reassure you that he is on our side, and not just another politician.

Speaking to the Sheriff is a waste of oxygen. The man simply does not care about the law. He is an elitist who long ago should have been held accountable for having one of the most corrupt forces on the planet. He will simply site the same old lies from DA Roger and our less than honorable AG Masto.
If you do have any pull with this guy, convince him that if he truly cares and wants to know the truth, to do the research on his own. Then assuming he does, tell him to work on getting the City to change ordinances and policies to get in line with state law.

TBG

Cisco

Speaking to the Sheriff is a waste of oxygen. The man simply does not care about the law. He is an elitist who long ago should have been held accountable for having one of the most corrupt forces on the planet. He will simply site the same old lies from DA Roger and our less than honorable AG Masto.
If you do have any pull with this guy, convince him that if he truly cares and wants to know the truth, to do the research on his own. Then assuming he does, tell him to work on getting the City to change ordinances and policies to get in line with state law.

TBG

First of all, I never claimed to have any pull on him. I said he is my friend. I mentioned this to him, and he promised to look into it. I believe him.

Even if he does not, it gives you no call to insult him. I do not hold any politician in high regard, if he will jump at anything just because we tell him. He can do the research and decide what to do or not to do. That does not mean that I would hold him in less regard. I might be disappointed, and try to speak to him some more, but that's it. I don't like bully tactics, which is what you are dangerously sounding like.

I would just recommend that we give him some time. (And yes, he is VERY busy. He runs all over town every day). We just might see some action on his part. I am confident that he will get back to us.