• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

quick question

supranite90

My girlfriend currently goes to Shepard Univ. and I plan on visiting her every once in a while but I was just wondering if my CHP is all i need when i come up there. I plan on only CC due to unfamiliarity on WVA laws and nuisances, so to avoid any hassle I'm just going to CC. I do carry openly alot in VA tho. So if I have my CHP on me is that all I need?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Last edited:

Justin Mang

Shepherdstown, West Virginia, United States
You are good.

You will be okay to CC in WV with your VA permit but you are NOT permitted to carry on Shepherd University property whether it is concealed or open. It is stated in their bi-laws and student handbook on this matter I believe. Besides the people here in Shepherdstown are not the type that like guns anyways. I would contact the campus police at:

University Police Department
Sara Cree Hall 105
P.O. Box 5000
Shepherdstown, WV 25443-5000
800-344-5231 ext. 5374 (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) or ext. 5202 (after 4:30 p.m.)
FAX: 304-876-5679

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
It is not a crime as a matter of state law to carry on a college or university campus. While the issue is not clearly settled, there is very little a state college or university can do to anyone who is neither a student or employee who carries on campus in compliance with federal & state laws but in violation of campus policies. I would most definitely not contact the Shepherd U PD, whose views on our right to carry would be right at home in that No Man's Land that lies between the Potomac River and the Mason-Dixon Line.

hermannr

I second "don't talk to the campus police". Read the LAW.

I understand that WV law on this account is like WA law. As a non-student or staff, the university handbook means nothing to you. The absolute most they can do is tell you to leave the building you are in. They can try, but cannot legally tell you to leave the public areas of the campus.

The UW has in their handbook the same garbage, and if you ask the campus police, they will tell you that they will arrest you (they do not have the authorty to do that) and hold you for Seattle police who will charge you (something the Seattle police cannot legally do)

You may even want to read the specific school administrative code. Here in WA, the UW restricts students and staff. While Washington State University only restricts students. Staff is free to follow state law on campus.

R50FJ60

My roommate and I attend Shepherd and we are both lovers of the 2nd amendment. Thankfully we live off campus so our rights are dutifully fulfilled. Shepherd caters to the Politically Correct and the "athletes". The police on campus are absolute crap in enforcing the law. I don't own a pistol yet (working on it though) but if I did I would be hesitant to carry on campus, since I wouldnt' want to deal with being expelled (almost done w/ college) and as Justin Mang stated, people in Shepherdstown aren't ones to like guns (see politically correct/hippies). ALthough in town I have once seen someone open carry. I was surprised a small riot didn't ensue.
Have fun visiting and look out for the football players. They are easy to spot due to their immature and often idiotic behaviour that helps re-enforce negative stereotypes (youll see what I mean).
CC at your own risk, but if you do a good enough job, noone will know you are in the first place. And if you have to use it, chances are its for a good reason- many of the "athletes" are from inner-city areas and seem to think that gangster mentality is the way to go.
If something does happen, try and get a State police officer on the scene/ on your side. They aren't corrupt and in bed with the football team. Otherwise you WILL be hung out to dry, regardless of what your attacker was doing to you that caused you to defend yourself.

Dreamer

I will probably be visiting Sheperdstown sometime in the next few weeks, and I plan to OC the entire time I am in WV. I lived in Martinsburg for 5 years (before I was a big OCer) and I can vouce for the fact that Sheperdstown is an enclave of hippies. Great restaurants, cool galleries, and the best coffee shop on the East Coast--but that town is rife with PC ninnies.

I'll let you folks know when I'm going to be there--perhaps we could meet up at Lost Dog for an OC Meetup or something...

R50FJ60

I'll let you folks know when I'm going to be there--perhaps we could meet up at Lost Dog for an OC Meetup or something...

I'm game...we could cause a small riot if we had an OC group coffee break there. . .
1561135-trollface_small.jpg

Shallnotbeinfringed

Count me in!

My daughter works at the Sheetz in Shepardstown and has seen several people OCing in the store. In fact I think a "security guard" got fired or reassigned for telling an OCer that he couldn't shop there. The manager chased the OCer down, invited him back in, and told the secuity guard to leave.

R50FJ60

"My daughter works at the Sheetz in Shepardstown and has seen several people OCing in the store. In fact I think a "security guard" got fired or reassigned for telling an OCer that he couldn't shop there. The manager chased the OCer down, invited him back in, and told the secuity guard to leave. "

'Like'

R50FJ60

Pretty sure the "tea" room is just a hookah place. SO of course hippies/hipsters will be there, to "enlighten" and become more "worldly".

A hippie is a hippie. . .

BUttttttttt back on topic- OP what you gonna do?

PistolPackingMomma

Pretty sure the "tea" room is just a hookah place. SO of course hippies/hipsters will be there, to "enlighten" and become more "worldly".

A hippie is a hippie. . .

BUttttttttt back on topic- OP what you gonna do?

Actually no...they have belly dancers perform weekly and have books out for customers to read, and they make some kick-ass Turkish coffee. The hookahs are just for display :D When I went to Shepherd U. and worked in Shepherdstown, it was the only place I could find that wasn't populated by hippies and emos. Yuppies, maybe.

hermannr

Come on, take it easy on the "Hippies". The mountain I live on is full of hippies (old 60's flavor), wana be mountain men with their smoke poles, retired LE, retired military, just tired,,,,,and there are even a few farmers left up here.

Everyone that can, and some that maybe shouldn't, all have firearms of some sort. You have to, it'll take the Sheriff at least 1/2 hour to get up here.

Anyway, just because someone is, or looks like, a hippie, does not necessarily mean they are automatically anti 2A. (BTW: I am not a hippie, but I know a lot of them)

PistolPackingMomma

Just an observation of mine; there are hippies, and then there are those who think they are hippies because it's "cool". Shepherdstown seems primarily populated by the latter. (Disclaimer; I haven't been there in about 5 years, so things may be different now.)