Thread: I open carry everytime I go out and always have a different experience...

I open carry everytime I go out and always have a different experience...

Yesterday I had some shopping to do at the Fayette mall. I always open carry when possible so i figured things would be about the same. Other then a few dirty looks from people things went great. I was stopped by a Lexington police officer and a Kentucky state trooper that were walking around the mall. What happened next was unexpected. To my surprise they both told me they resepcted my bravery to open carry in public because alot of people nowadays are to frightened by the thoughts of what other people might say. The state trooper also thanked me for exercising my 2nd amendment right, which was a great feeling. Especially from some of the stories I've heard about people open carrying in Lexington.

I can confirm! I actually ran into John during one of my rare visits to Fayette Mall. I think he's got more cojones than I do. Fayette Mall does have a "no weapons" policy. Hey, if they don't care, I don't care! Welcome to the forum, John.

I asked a family friend about that( he's a detective for Lexington and deals with illegal weapons sales and all that) and I was told that if there wasn't a visible sign on every entrance then there wasn't much to do. But it was great to actually have someone tell me they respected me for it.

This is really awesome! Wish it happened more often.

Founder's Club Member
    Nice to hear of your good experience with the local and state constabulary. I was up visiting family in southern Ohio this weekend and dined in Ashland on Saturday night. I OCed at the Cheddar's at the Ashland Mall (the mall near the river not near I-64) and at the Speedway gas station right across the road with no issue at all. Just like VA and just like I like it.

Thumbs up

I loved this post. I had often wondered about OC in Fayette Mall but being that I live about 130 miles away, that's all it was, wondering. *LOL* Nice to hear taht this was such a positive experience. As time goes on, KSP and other LEO will grow to respect that there are others out there that exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights. Granted, we'll ALWAYS have a few stand-alone's that resent and loathe us for doing so but this is AMERICA still and we shall not not quietly into that cold, dark night of the Soul!
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Yea it was a great experience. I've not had too much trouble ocing anywhere in Lexington, I've had a walmart employee tell me I wasn't allowed but after I'd explained to him the law and his manager came and corrected him. But other then that things have been great. Although I will admit I still get strange looks from some

Thumbs up

I live in south eastern Kentucky in Floyd County. I've been open carrying for about a week now. So far I have not had any trouble with the law or any businesses. How ever there is always that first time.
    Last edited by mem1977; 08-27-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

Awesome. You give people inspiration with your story. Three thumbs up!
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Well Ill add that I have had nothing negative about openly carrying in Johnson county Walmart, Kmart and foodcity.

Floyd county walmart, biglots, gamestop and dollar discount also went well.

Seem that the local people either do not notice or do not care, I know both constables and they seem to be ok with it too, we even talked about what he was carrying, and then what I had.