• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I open carry everytime I go out and always have a different experience...

Johnburns15

Yesterday I had some shopping to do at the Fayette mall. I always open carry when possible so i figured things would be about the same. Other then a few dirty looks from people things went great. I was stopped by a Lexington police officer and a Kentucky state trooper that were walking around the mall. What happened next was unexpected. To my surprise they both told me they resepcted my bravery to open carry in public because alot of people nowadays are to frightened by the thoughts of what other people might say. The state trooper also thanked me for exercising my 2nd amendment right, which was a great feeling. Especially from some of the stories I've heard about people open carrying in Lexington.

langzaiguy

I can confirm! I actually ran into John during one of my rare visits to Fayette Mall. I think he's got more cojones than I do. Fayette Mall does have a "no weapons" policy. Hey, if they don't care, I don't care! Welcome to the forum, John.

Johnburns15

I asked a family friend about that( he's a detective for Lexington and deals with illegal weapons sales and all that) and I was told that if there wasn't a visible sign on every entrance then there wasn't much to do. But it was great to actually have someone tell me they respected me for it.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Nice to hear of your good experience with the local and state constabulary. I was up visiting family in southern Ohio this weekend and dined in Ashland on Saturday night. I OCed at the Cheddar's at the Ashland Mall (the mall near the river not near I-64) and at the Speedway gas station right across the road with no issue at all. Just like VA and just like I like it. :)

neuroblades

I loved this post. :) I had often wondered about OC in Fayette Mall but being that I live about 130 miles away, that's all it was, wondering. *LOL* Nice to hear taht this was such a positive experience. As time goes on, KSP and other LEO will grow to respect that there are others out there that exercise their 2nd Amendment Rights. Granted, we'll ALWAYS have a few stand-alone's that resent and loathe us for doing so but this is AMERICA still and we shall not not quietly into that cold, dark night of the Soul!

Johnburns15

Yea it was a great experience. I've not had too much trouble ocing anywhere in Lexington, I've had a walmart employee tell me I wasn't allowed but after I'd explained to him the law and his manager came and corrected him. But other then that things have been great. Although I will admit I still get strange looks from some

mem1977

I live in south eastern Kentucky in Floyd County. I've been open carrying for about a week now. So far I have not had any trouble with the law or any businesses. How ever there is always that first time. :uhoh:

Last edited:

Titan357

Well Ill add that I have had nothing negative about openly carrying in Johnson county Walmart, Kmart and foodcity.

Floyd county walmart, biglots, gamestop and dollar discount also went well.

Seem that the local people either do not notice or do not care, I know both constables and they seem to be ok with it too, we even talked about what he was carrying, and then what I had.