• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a good place for outdoor shooting near Seattle?

Stealth Potato

Hey folks! Holy crap it's been a long time since I've been around here. Used to be fairly active, but then got busy with life and whatnot. For a few years now I've been living in the middle of nowhere, and the controversiality of OC has been more or less off my radar. Not many people around to begin with, and most wouldn't particularly care; and even if they did, there wouldn't be anyone to respond to a MWAG call! :D

But I'm back in Seattle now for the foreseeable future (new job!). I've also got a few friends coming in from various parts for the Penny Arcade Expo, and I thought it might be nice to introduce some of them to the shooting arts. I could take them to an indoor range like Wade's, but I feel it would be more comfortable and relaxing for them if we could find a quiet, relatively out-of-the-way place. Not to mention, that way I could also introduce them to my Mosin-Nagant. :lol:

Any pointers? There's one place in the hills above Concrete where I used to shoot quite a bit, back when I lived in the upper Skagit valley, but that would be something like a two hour drive each way, so I'd prefer something nearer. We're hoping to be able to do this this Thursday, weather permitting, of course!

Anyway, hope to see more of you all in the near future. I'm seeing a few dismaying accounts on the board index; looks like there's still a lot to do!

ManInBlack

Hey folks! Holy crap it's been a long time since I've been around here. Used to be fairly active, but then got busy with life and whatnot. For a few years now I've been living in the middle of nowhere, and the controversiality of OC has been more or less off my radar. Not many people around to begin with, and most wouldn't particularly care; and even if they did, there wouldn't be anyone to respond to a MWAG call! :D

But I'm back in Seattle now for the foreseeable future (new job!). I've also got a few friends coming in from various parts for the Penny Arcade Expo, and I thought it might be nice to introduce some of them to the shooting arts. I could take them to an indoor range like Wade's, but I feel it would be more comfortable and relaxing for them if we could find a quiet, relatively out-of-the-way place. Not to mention, that way I could also introduce them to my Mosin-Nagant. :lol:

Any pointers? There's one place in the hills above Concrete where I used to shoot quite a bit, back when I lived in the upper Skagit valley, but that would be something like a two hour drive each way, so I'd prefer something nearer. We're hoping to be able to do this this Thursday, weather permitting, of course!

Anyway, hope to see more of you all in the near future. I'm seeing a few dismaying accounts on the board index; looks like there's still a lot to do!

I used to shoot near an old CYO camp (Camp Hamilton?) between Duvall and Monroe, and on some National Forest land near North Bend. The first place may no longer be safe due to development in the area, but I have been to the North Bend site within the last year and it is still good. However, both will probably be pretty close to an hour away from Seattle. Good luck.

Last edited:

Stealth Potato

http://www.interlakesporting.org/ has an outdoor range only 20-30 minutes from Seattle. You have to have at least one member to shoot there, all guests are free.

That looks like a great place -- I just wish I'd known about it earlier, since it looks like you can only apply for membership on the first Wednesday of each month. :( Won't help me this Thursday, but I'll definitely try joining there anyway!

Stealth Potato

I used to shoot near an old CYO camp (Camp Hamilton?) between Duvall and Monroe, and on some National Forest land near North Bend. The first place may no longer be safe due to development in the area, but I have been to the North Bend site within the last year and it is still good. However, both will probably be pretty close to an hour away from Seattle. Good luck.

The North Bend one sounds promising; according to Google Maps that's only ~35 minutes away via I-90, but of course I know better than to rely on those numbers. :lol:

Where is the shooting site within the National Forest?

ManInBlack

The North Bend one sounds promising; according to Google Maps that's only ~35 minutes away via I-90, but of course I know better than to rely on those numbers. :lol:

Where is the shooting site within the National Forest?

Without actually seeing it in front of me, I can't tell you how to get to where I've shot...but basically if you head northeast of town, you will find open gates and paved roads turning into dirt NF roads. If you go along one of them for long enough, you will hit a place with a nice backstop where it is obvious that many other people have shot. However, in the national forests, you can generally shoot anywhere that does not endanger people or property, is not over or across a body of water, and is not within a certain distance of a road, occupied campsite, etc. You'd have to check their website for exact rules, but if you're in the middle of nowhere, without anyone around, and you use a safe backstop, you're generally ok.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I typically go up Snoqualmie to Tinkham Rd (Exit 42). You need to make sure you go up far enough to be out of the No Shooting Safety Corridor (you will know you’re out of it when you pass a sign that says ‘Leaving No Shooting Safety Corridor’, plus there will begin to be a bunch of shooting pits).

Address: NFD 5510 Rd, Snoqualmie National Forest, Snoqualmie Valley, WA
Map: Link

Be Safe, have a good backstop.

Last edited:

amlevin

I typically go up Snoqualmie to Tinkham Rd (Exit 52). You need to make sure you go up far enough to be out of the No Shooting Safety Corridor (you will know you’re out of it when you pass a sign that says ‘Leaving No Shooting Safety Corridor’, plus there will begin to be a bunch of shooting pits).

Be Safe, have a good backstop.

Don't you mean Exit 42? My map program shows that Exit 52 would take you to Alpental where I don't think shooting would be appreciated.

Last edited:

onlurker

I typically go up Snoqualmie to Tinkham Rd (Exit 42). You need to make sure you go up far enough to be out of the No Shooting Safety Corridor (you will know you’re out of it when you pass a sign that says ‘Leaving No Shooting Safety Corridor’, plus there will begin to be a bunch of shooting pits).

I may have to remember this for the winter if the snow stays up high.

If you go a bit further up the road instead of hanging a left and across the stream, you'll run into my favorite shooting place (look for the upside down "Y" on google maps). I believe that pit is good for about 50 yards before you need to start aiming up the hill (still has a substantial backstop IMO). It's a bit trashy at times, so do your part to clean up.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I may have to remember this for the winter if the snow stays up high.

If you go a bit further up the road instead of hanging a left and across the stream, you'll run into my favorite shooting place (look for the upside down "Y" on google maps). I believe that pit is good for about 50 yards before you need to start aiming up the hill (still has a substantial backstop IMO). It's a bit trashy at times, so do your part to clean up.

Do you mean this spot http://g.co/maps/a9f5? Thats actually the spot I was referring to...

Dave Workman

Be particularly careful about shooting on national forest land near North Bend. There are shooting closures along the I-90 corridor and the Middle Fork road corridor.

Head up Hansen Creek a couple of miles to a large gravel pit and set up.
And clean up your mess afterward! <grins>

Lightning Jeff

Do you mean this spot http://g.co/maps/a9f5? Thats actually the spot I was referring to...

Eh. I've been there - some call it the "Subaru pit" in honor of the remains that sit at the entrance - a number of times, but it's no great shakes. As mentioned, you can really only get out to about 60 yards. Fine for pistol or clay, but pretty boring with a rifle. It's also pretty well inaccessible once the snow falls. It can get awfully crowded, and while most people are responsible, plenty aren't. Aside from occasionally seeing some unsafe practices (dad and young daughter shooting with no eye or ear protection; first-time shooters receiving no meaningful instruction), I had one particularly unpleasant run-in with a delusional jerk who told us (actually, profanely screamed) that the area was closed to shooting - which it wasn't at the time, but will be soon from what I've heard.

Following that encounter I joined Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club - low annual dues, nice pistol and rifle ranges, no obnoxious SOs, and generally pleasant folks. If you're in the Seattle area and willing to drive nearly to Snoqualmie Pass to shoot, you can save half the drive and shoot on a real range. (Unfortunately, at some point SVRC will have to move, and they're actively pursuing a new location. It leases the land from Weyerhaueser, which from my understanding has refused to enter into another long-term lease; it's month-to-month now.)

onlurker

Last edited:

Lightning Jeff

That Subaru has been gone for at least a year IIRC.

It - or something just like it? - was there when I was last there in early November. (It served as a table for one of my rifle cases!) I did see some guys on another forum talking about trying to get it out, but if that happened, it was sometime pretty recently. As mentioned, I stopped going there after November, in favor of a proper range. That's nothing against the majority of people who use that pit. It's just that I can drive half the distance and be on a much safer range, where I can still do just about anything I want (no steel though, which does bug me). That said, I hope the pit stays open, and I hope rumors I heard of an officially sanctioned range on the I-90 corridor come true.