Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: New OC'er in Michigan, here.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brownstown, MI
    Posts
    1

    New OC'er in Michigan, here.

    Hey all,
    I just turned 21 about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering... Do I need to fill out some form of application in order to open carry? Like, get a permit? I'm not asking if I need a CCW, I'm well aware that I don't. I just need to know if I should be filling out an application of some kind in order for me to furnish something to the police saying that I am able to carry a weapon in a holster in plain view. I don't mean to sound like a fool for asking these questions; I'm aware that it is my constitutional right to bear arms. However, I've been in minor trouble with the law since I turned 17 years old and I don't need any more pointless trouble because I lack a piece of paper, you know?
    I am also aware that when I go to purchase a firearm, I will be filling out paperwork for a background check and those papers will be furnished by the firearm dealer and I'll be waiting anywhere from 1 - 3 months for the background check to come back before I can pick up the firearm and carry it on me in a holster
    Mind you, I am not just buying one and trying to open carry to "look cool" or to "act hard" in public, but 2 of my closest friends were jumped (one of them was jumped by 5 or 6 people last month and robbed and the other was jumped about 2 weeks ago for no reason and almost lost his life ) and they didn't have an option to openly carry a firearm to protect theselves with. I am not looking to have the same thing happen to me and possibly be killed by some of these ignorant people around where I live and know that there was nothing I could do about it because of a lack in knowledge of being able to openly carry a firearm...

    ANY kind of help with this would be very much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Welcome to OCDO!!!

    You may want to post this in the Michigan section found here...

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...p?106-Michigan
    Last edited by georg jetson; 08-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    343
    I am also aware that when I go to purchase a firearm, I will be filling out paperwork for a background check and those papers will be furnished by the firearm dealer and I'll be waiting anywhere from 1 - 3 months for the background check to come back before I can pick up the firearm and carry it on me in a holster
    I'm not sure where you got this information, but there are a number of misconceptions here.

    You do NOT get this paperwork from your gun dealer. You need to visit your local Sheriff's office (or police dept if they are handling these things) for a permit to purchase.

    They will perform the background check, and if all checks out OK, they will give you the permit to take when purchasing your handgun. This typically does NOT take 1-3 months. IIRC, mine was done immediately, but your Sheriff's office may differ slightly.

    The FFL dealer will fill out the paperwork, ID'ing the Handgun, serial number, etc, then you must take that paper BACK to the Sheriff's office (NOT the Handgun).

    At that point you are free to carry openly, remembering a few rules.

    #1 you cannot Open Carry in a vehicle, the handgun must be in a case, unloaded, and out of reach of the occupants (preferably in the trunk).

    #2 there are places you cannot Open Carry, listed very well in the Michigan Forum stickies. http://web.me.com/joshtish/Offlimits_Front.pdf

    #3 for 30 days you need to keep the permit to purchase with you when you have the handgun on your person. After the 30 days, you can discard the permit to purchase.

    Since Open Carry is not AGAINST the law, meaning there is no law that says you can't do it, it is therefore a legal activity, one that requires no paperwork (excepting the aforementioned permit for the first 30 days.)

  4. #4
    Regular Member NHCGRPR45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chesterfield Township, MI
    Posts
    1,137
    I highly recommend getting your CPL, It makes it far easier to OC and opens a lot of doors, literally to OC in.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

    Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    my CPL has never opened any doors for me, it has literaly stayed in my pocket (lazy little thing)
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  6. #6
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Go to your local police department and ask for a permit to purchase. If you don't have one go to your local sheriffs dept. Next go to your local gun store and buy the gun you want. Your permit to purchase expires in 10 days if you don't buy a gun. The gun shop will tell you what to do from there with it as far as taking it back to the PD and what not. When transporting it IT MUST BE IN THE TRUCK IN A CASE DESIGNED FOR A PISTOL!!! The only exemption is if you don't have a trunk it be inaccessible to you. So if you drive a pick up truck put it as far away from you as possible and it's not a bad idea to put a lock on it. Also DO NOT CARRY ON THE PREMISES OF ANY PLACE WITH ANY LIQUOR LICENSE this would include Meijer's parking lots. Other than that read the stickies and if you have any questions just post it on here. And def get your CPL it will make open carry 1000 times easier.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Welcome to OCDO .

    You absolutely must become familliar with the laws before openly carrying a firearm!

    This is not difficult, but there is a learning curve. Read the stickies. Start with the open carry guide project. The link is below:

    You must transport the pistol properly, and you must know where you cannot carry. Many police departments will issue your permit to purchase on the spot, take it to the gun dealer, buy your gun, and you're good to go. The papers have to go back to the PD within 10 days, and you'll keep your copy on you at all times for the first 30 days.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Guide-Project

    See also,

    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

    If you have any questions, especially the "stupid" ones, ask away, dont be ashamed, we had to learn it too.

  8. #8
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by rtloiselle View Post
    Hey all,
    I just turned 21 about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering... Do I need to fill out some form of application in order to open carry? Like, get a permit? I'm not asking if I need a CCW, I'm well aware that I don't. I just need to know if I should be filling out an application of some kind in order for me to furnish something to the police saying that I am able to carry a weapon in a holster in plain view. I don't mean to sound like a fool for asking these questions; I'm aware that it is my constitutional right to bear arms. However, I've been in minor trouble with the law since I turned 17 years old and I don't need any more pointless trouble because I lack a piece of paper, you know?
    I am also aware that when I go to purchase a firearm, I will be filling out paperwork for a background check and those papers will be furnished by the firearm dealer and I'll be waiting anywhere from 1 - 3 months for the background check to come back before I can pick up the firearm and carry it on me in a holster
    Mind you, I am not just buying one and trying to open carry to "look cool" or to "act hard" in public, but 2 of my closest friends were jumped (one of them was jumped by 5 or 6 people last month and robbed and the other was jumped about 2 weeks ago for no reason and almost lost his life ) and they didn't have an option to openly carry a firearm to protect theselves with. I am not looking to have the same thing happen to me and possibly be killed by some of these ignorant people around where I live and know that there was nothing I could do about it because of a lack in knowledge of being able to openly carry a firearm...

    ANY kind of help with this would be very much appreciated!
    Welcome to the joys of OCing in Michigan, rtloiselle! As has been stated above, read and understand the laws well before you start OCing, it will make you confident and keep you from being charged with something as serious as a felony. Know going in that OC without a concealed pistol license (CPL) is difficult because of all of the restrictions... Michigan is probably one of the worst states there is in this regard. However, if you do decide to get your cpl, we still have one of the most decent set of laws for OC, as CPL holders are allowed to OC in many places that, in other states, would be felonious behavior. Stick around for awhile and you will know more about Michigan firearm laws than most police officers. Because the prospect of OC without a cpl can be daunting, you may want to contact a member who lives close to you to go with you the first few times you OC. Once again: WELCOME!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Just a couple corrections/clarifications.

    Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    then you must take that paper BACK to the Sheriff's office (NOT the Handgun).
    You may also mail your paperwork back to the police dept. where you obtained it. You do not have to present it in person.

    Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    #1 you cannot Open Carry in a vehicle, the handgun must be in a case, unloaded, and out of reach of the occupants (preferably in the trunk).
    It's not a matter of preference. If your vehicle has a trunk you must transport your firearm in the trunk. You may only transport in the passenger compartment if the vehicle does not have trunk. In both cases it must be unloaded and in a case designed for storing a firearm. The law doesn't require the case itself to be locked but many people, especially those with vehicles that don't have a trunk, choose to put a lock on the case.

    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(z5r...ghlight=pistol

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Thanks for picking that one up, about the trunk, I was going to, but it slipped my mind, its been a busy day.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Algonac, Michigan USA
    Posts
    126
    Here's one to watch out for. If the back seats can fold down and a passenger is present, the gun may still be considered accessible if placed too close to the front of the trunk.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    That is correct. Also, if the driver leaves a pistol in a vehicle and the passenger has no CPL, that passenger is in possession of that pistol.

  13. #13
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    That is correct. Also, if the driver leaves a pistol in a vehicle and the passenger has no CPL, that passenger is in possession of that pistol.
    Not necessarily, but could be determined to be so based upon the particular circumstances. Yes, the wisest course of action would be to behave as if this were true, but I wouldn't want people to read this and think that this is always the case. See AG opinion 7136.
    http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/da...0s/op10212.htm
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162

    Any OC'ers in the Grand Rapids Area?

    I am new to OC, have recently purchased my Gen 4 Glock 23 and must say I am thrilled to death to have found such a great website with such great information. I have read through the forums and feel that I know the ins and outs of OC'ing for the most part. However I am extremely nervous about OC'ing. I walked my dog last night in my MH Park and felt almost sick at the thought of possibly breaking a law I ran back into my house. I would like to know if there is any OC'ers out there that live in the grand rapids area that I would be able to network with to learn more, about OC'ing and maybe even OC with a few times to get more comfortable. I do no currently have my CPL, however I have a class that I am going to take here soon the first weeks of September. I thank you for your time!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Relax.

    I'm sure someone will help you out.

    Baby steps, go around the house, wash the car, cut the yard, then start with places you are familiar with. Carrying in the local school isn't for new-bs, but you'll get there.

    Be very careful about how you transport the pistol, and stay off the property of any place that has any license to sell any alcohol, includes Meijers, Krogers, Walmart and do on.

  16. #16
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    DrTodd is from the greater GR area...
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  17. #17
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    I am new to OC, have recently purchased my Gen 4 Glock 23 and must say I am thrilled to death to have found such a great website with such great information. I have read through the forums and feel that I know the ins and outs of OC'ing for the most part. However I am extremely nervous about OC'ing. I walked my dog last night in my MH Park and felt almost sick at the thought of possibly breaking a law I ran back into my house. I would like to know if there is any OC'ers out there that live in the grand rapids area that I would be able to network with to learn more, about OC'ing and maybe even OC with a few times to get more comfortable. I do no currently have my CPL, however I have a class that I am going to take here soon the first weeks of September. I thank you for your time!
    Welcome! I'm down in Cutlerville, and could use a walk (need the exercise!)
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    DrTodd is from the greater GR area...
    Yep, I am, and would be happy to go OCing sometime. I start back to work next week and have some pretty time-consuming issues in the short term, but in a week or two, I'll hopefully have a bit more time. In the meantime, just pm me your number and I'll give you a call. We may be able to arrange something before then.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Yep, I am, and would be happy to go OCing sometime. I start back to work next week and have some pretty time-consuming issues in the short term, but in a week or two, I'll hopefully have a bit more time. In the meantime, just pm me your number and I'll give you a call. We may be able to arrange something before then.
    Shadowbear, when he gives me a call, I'll get ahold of you and see what we can arrange.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Relax.

    I'm sure someone will help you out.

    Baby steps, go around the house, wash the car, cut the yard, then start with places you are familiar with. Carrying in the local school isn't for new-bs, but you'll get there.

    Be very careful about how you transport the pistol, and stay off the property of any place that has any license to sell any alcohol, includes Meijers, Krogers, Walmart and do on.
    Stainless1911

    First I would like to thank you for taking time to reply to me. I appreciate it, thank you for the tips. I have only oc'd at the silverbullet, and last night when I walked my dog and boy was it the most scared I have been. I am going to school for law enforcement and would hate to make a mistake that would ruin my life. I will stay away from all grocers for the next few months or until my cpl is issued. I will also take your advice, again thank you!


    Oh and after reading all the tips on holster selection I purchased a blackhawk serpa concealment holster, and must say it is awesome!!!

    Glock 214

  21. #21
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Shadowbear, when he gives me a call, I'll get ahold of you and see what we can arrange.
    Sounds good- I presume MH is code for redneck submarine (that just cracks me up- I sometimes wonder how big of pontoons it would take to make mine float!) so he may even be a neighbor! Cutlerville is like the New London- submarines everywhere!

    Anchors aweigh, matey; carry on!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  22. #22
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Sounds good- I presume MH is code for redneck submarine (that just cracks me up- I sometimes wonder how big of pontoons it would take to make mine float!) so he may even be a neighbor! Cutlerville is like the New London- submarines everywhere!

    Anchors aweigh, matey; carry on!
    Shadow Bear,


    Haha!!

    I probably am a neighbor my license says gr, but my gps navigation tells me im cutlerville. I would like to meet up and learn some more about oc. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of mh's around here. Pm me with your park name if you like.

    Glock214

  23. #23
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    DrTodd is from the greater GR area...


    TheQ,

    Thanks for the direction. Much appreciated!!

    Glock 214

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    Stainless1911

    First I would like to thank you for taking time to reply to me. I appreciate it, thank you for the tips. I have only oc'd at the silverbullet, and last night when I walked my dog and boy was it the most scared I have been. I am going to school for law enforcement and would hate to make a mistake that would ruin my life. I will stay away from all grocers for the next few months or until my cpl is issued. I will also take your advice, again thank you!


    Oh and after reading all the tips on holster selection I purchased a blackhawk serpa concealment holster, and must say it is awesome!!!

    Glock 214
    No problem, I got a lot of help when I was new here, some people had to beat some of the laws into my head lol.

    I carry an XD .40 in a blackhawk serpa.

    Dont go concealing that thing, not even by accident.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    This might be a dumb question but, am I correct to assume as long as I'm not in/on property that is pistol free as those listed on the pocket cards listed in previous forums I'm free to oc? Are parks off limits? Such as rosa parks circle, or parks that have playgrounds for children like cutlerville park? I know if a school is on the property I cannot carry, but I planned on taking my daughter and my dog for a walk and wanted to take her over to park to play. Im still not sure I will oc, but I would like to know. And stainless don't worry any shirt I wear will be tucked in so I cannot conceal my glock even on accident. I printed out as much info as I could, and carry it in my car so I can reference it if I am oc'ing and detained. Are there any michigan cited laws I should print out? Honestly, I looked at the website, but have no idea what to look for. Thanks again to everybody who is willing to help newbies like myself learn the laws better so that we can represent the oc movement correctly.

    Glock214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •