• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC'er in Michigan, here.

rtloiselle

Hey all,
I just turned 21 about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering... Do I need to fill out some form of application in order to open carry? Like, get a permit? I'm not asking if I need a CCW, I'm well aware that I don't. I just need to know if I should be filling out an application of some kind in order for me to furnish something to the police saying that I am able to carry a weapon in a holster in plain view. I don't mean to sound like a fool for asking these questions; I'm aware that it is my constitutional right to bear arms. However, I've been in minor trouble with the law since I turned 17 years old and I don't need any more pointless trouble because I lack a piece of paper, you know?
I am also aware that when I go to purchase a firearm, I will be filling out paperwork for a background check and those papers will be furnished by the firearm dealer and I'll be waiting anywhere from 1 - 3 months for the background check to come back before I can pick up the firearm and carry it on me in a holster
Mind you, I am not just buying one and trying to open carry to "look cool" or to "act hard" in public, but 2 of my closest friends were jumped (one of them was jumped by 5 or 6 people last month and robbed and the other was jumped about 2 weeks ago for no reason and almost lost his life ) and they didn't have an option to openly carry a firearm to protect theselves with. I am not looking to have the same thing happen to me and possibly be killed by some of these ignorant people around where I live and know that there was nothing I could do about it because of a lack in knowledge of being able to openly carry a firearm...

ANY kind of help with this would be very much appreciated! :)

xd shooter

I am also aware that when I go to purchase a firearm, I will be filling out paperwork for a background check and those papers will be furnished by the firearm dealer and I'll be waiting anywhere from 1 - 3 months for the background check to come back before I can pick up the firearm and carry it on me in a holster

I'm not sure where you got this information, but there are a number of misconceptions here.

You do NOT get this paperwork from your gun dealer. You need to visit your local Sheriff's office (or police dept if they are handling these things) for a permit to purchase.

They will perform the background check, and if all checks out OK, they will give you the permit to take when purchasing your handgun. This typically does NOT take 1-3 months. IIRC, mine was done immediately, but your Sheriff's office may differ slightly.

The FFL dealer will fill out the paperwork, ID'ing the Handgun, serial number, etc, then you must take that paper BACK to the Sheriff's office (NOT the Handgun).

At that point you are free to carry openly, remembering a few rules.

#1 you cannot Open Carry in a vehicle, the handgun must be in a case, unloaded, and out of reach of the occupants (preferably in the trunk).

#2 there are places you cannot Open Carry, listed very well in the Michigan Forum stickies. http://web.me.com/joshtish/Offlimits_Front.pdf

#3 for 30 days you need to keep the permit to purchase with you when you have the handgun on your person. After the 30 days, you can discard the permit to purchase.

Since Open Carry is not AGAINST the law, meaning there is no law that says you can't do it, it is therefore a legal activity, one that requires no paperwork (excepting the aforementioned permit for the first 30 days.)

xmanhockey7

Go to your local police department and ask for a permit to purchase. If you don't have one go to your local sheriffs dept. Next go to your local gun store and buy the gun you want. Your permit to purchase expires in 10 days if you don't buy a gun. The gun shop will tell you what to do from there with it as far as taking it back to the PD and what not. When transporting it IT MUST BE IN THE TRUCK IN A CASE DESIGNED FOR A PISTOL!!! The only exemption is if you don't have a trunk it be inaccessible to you. So if you drive a pick up truck put it as far away from you as possible and it's not a bad idea to put a lock on it. Also DO NOT CARRY ON THE PREMISES OF ANY PLACE WITH ANY LIQUOR LICENSE this would include Meijer's parking lots. Other than that read the stickies and if you have any questions just post it on here. And def get your CPL it will make open carry 1000 times easier.

stainless1911

Banned
:D Welcome to OCDO .

You absolutely must become familliar with the laws before openly carrying a firearm!

This is not difficult, but there is a learning curve. Read the stickies. Start with the open carry guide project. The link is below:

You must transport the pistol properly, and you must know where you cannot carry. Many police departments will issue your permit to purchase on the spot, take it to the gun dealer, buy your gun, and you're good to go. The papers have to go back to the PD within 10 days, and you'll keep your copy on you at all times for the first 30 days.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81204-Open-Carry-Guide-Project

See also,

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

If you have any questions, especially the "stupid" ones, ask away, dont be ashamed, we had to learn it too.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Hey all,
I just turned 21 about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering... Do I need to fill out some form of application in order to open carry? Like, get a permit? I'm not asking if I need a CCW, I'm well aware that I don't. I just need to know if I should be filling out an application of some kind in order for me to furnish something to the police saying that I am able to carry a weapon in a holster in plain view. I don't mean to sound like a fool for asking these questions; I'm aware that it is my constitutional right to bear arms. However, I've been in minor trouble with the law since I turned 17 years old and I don't need any more pointless trouble because I lack a piece of paper, you know?
Mind you, I am not just buying one and trying to open carry to "look cool" or to "act hard" in public, but 2 of my closest friends were jumped (one of them was jumped by 5 or 6 people last month and robbed and the other was jumped about 2 weeks ago for no reason and almost lost his life ) and they didn't have an option to openly carry a firearm to protect theselves with. I am not looking to have the same thing happen to me and possibly be killed by some of these ignorant people around where I live and know that there was nothing I could do about it because of a lack in knowledge of being able to openly carry a firearm...

ANY kind of help with this would be very much appreciated! :)

Welcome to the joys of OCing in Michigan, rtloiselle! As has been stated above, read and understand the laws well before you start OCing, it will make you confident and keep you from being charged with something as serious as a felony. Know going in that OC without a concealed pistol license (CPL) is difficult because of all of the restrictions... Michigan is probably one of the worst states there is in this regard. However, if you do decide to get your cpl, we still have one of the most decent set of laws for OC, as CPL holders are allowed to OC in many places that, in other states, would be felonious behavior. Stick around for awhile and you will know more about Michigan firearm laws than most police officers. Because the prospect of OC without a cpl can be daunting, you may want to contact a member who lives close to you to go with you the first few times you OC. Once again: WELCOME!

Bronson

Just a couple corrections/clarifications.

then you must take that paper BACK to the Sheriff's office (NOT the Handgun).

You may also mail your paperwork back to the police dept. where you obtained it. You do not have to present it in person.

#1 you cannot Open Carry in a vehicle, the handgun must be in a case, unloaded, and out of reach of the occupants (preferably in the trunk).

It's not a matter of preference. If your vehicle has a trunk you must transport your firearm in the trunk. You may only transport in the passenger compartment if the vehicle does not have trunk. In both cases it must be unloaded and in a case designed for storing a firearm. The law doesn't require the case itself to be locked but many people, especially those with vehicles that don't have a trunk, choose to put a lock on the case.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(z5...ctname=mcl-750-231a&query=on&highlight=pistol

Bronson

1ADAM12

Here's one to watch out for. If the back seats can fold down and a passenger is present, the gun may still be considered accessible if placed too close to the front of the trunk.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
That is correct. Also, if the driver leaves a pistol in a vehicle and the passenger has no CPL, that passenger is in possession of that pistol.

Not necessarily, but could be determined to be so based upon the particular circumstances. Yes, the wisest course of action would be to behave as if this were true, but I wouldn't want people to read this and think that this is always the case. See AG opinion 7136.
http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10212.htm

Glock214

Any OC'ers in the Grand Rapids Area?

I am new to OC, have recently purchased my Gen 4 Glock 23 and must say I am thrilled to death to have found such a great website with such great information. I have read through the forums and feel that I know the ins and outs of OC'ing for the most part. However I am extremely nervous about OC'ing. I walked my dog last night in my MH Park and felt almost sick at the thought of possibly breaking a law I ran back into my house. I would like to know if there is any OC'ers out there that live in the grand rapids area that I would be able to network with to learn more, about OC'ing and maybe even OC with a few times to get more comfortable. I do no currently have my CPL, however I have a class that I am going to take here soon the first weeks of September. I thank you for your time!

stainless1911

Banned
Relax.

I'm sure someone will help you out.

Baby steps, go around the house, wash the car, cut the yard, then start with places you are familiar with. Carrying in the local school isn't for new-bs, but you'll get there.

Be very careful about how you transport the pistol, and stay off the property of any place that has any license to sell any alcohol, includes Meijers, Krogers, Walmart and do on.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I am new to OC, have recently purchased my Gen 4 Glock 23 and must say I am thrilled to death to have found such a great website with such great information. I have read through the forums and feel that I know the ins and outs of OC'ing for the most part. However I am extremely nervous about OC'ing. I walked my dog last night in my MH Park and felt almost sick at the thought of possibly breaking a law I ran back into my house. I would like to know if there is any OC'ers out there that live in the grand rapids area that I would be able to network with to learn more, about OC'ing and maybe even OC with a few times to get more comfortable. I do no currently have my CPL, however I have a class that I am going to take here soon the first weeks of September. I thank you for your time!

Welcome! I'm down in Cutlerville, and could use a walk (need the exercise!):D

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
DrTodd is from the greater GR area...

Yep, I am, and would be happy to go OCing sometime. I start back to work next week and have some pretty time-consuming issues in the short term, but in a week or two, I'll hopefully have a bit more time. In the meantime, just pm me your number and I'll give you a call. We may be able to arrange something before then.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Yep, I am, and would be happy to go OCing sometime. I start back to work next week and have some pretty time-consuming issues in the short term, but in a week or two, I'll hopefully have a bit more time. In the meantime, just pm me your number and I'll give you a call. We may be able to arrange something before then.

Shadowbear, when he gives me a call, I'll get ahold of you and see what we can arrange.

Glock214

Relax.

I'm sure someone will help you out.

Baby steps, go around the house, wash the car, cut the yard, then start with places you are familiar with. Carrying in the local school isn't for new-bs, but you'll get there.

Be very careful about how you transport the pistol, and stay off the property of any place that has any license to sell any alcohol, includes Meijers, Krogers, Walmart and do on.

Stainless1911

First I would like to thank you for taking time to reply to me. I appreciate it, thank you for the tips. I have only oc'd at the silverbullet, and last night when I walked my dog and boy was it the most scared I have been. I am going to school for law enforcement and would hate to make a mistake that would ruin my life. I will stay away from all grocers for the next few months or until my cpl is issued. I will also take your advice, again thank you!

Oh and after reading all the tips on holster selection I purchased a blackhawk serpa concealment holster, and must say it is awesome!!!

Glock 214