• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC'er in Michigan, here.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Shadowbear, when he gives me a call, I'll get ahold of you and see what we can arrange.

Sounds good- I presume MH is code for redneck submarine (that just cracks me up- I sometimes wonder how big of pontoons it would take to make mine float!) so he may even be a neighbor! Cutlerville is like the New London- submarines everywhere!

Anchors aweigh, matey; carry on!:lol:

Glock214

Sounds good- I presume MH is code for redneck submarine (that just cracks me up- I sometimes wonder how big of pontoons it would take to make mine float!) so he may even be a neighbor! Cutlerville is like the New London- submarines everywhere!

Anchors aweigh, matey; carry on!:lol:

Shadow Bear,

Haha!!

I probably am a neighbor my license says gr, but my gps navigation tells me im cutlerville. I would like to meet up and learn some more about oc. Now that I think about it, there are a lot of mh's around here. Pm me with your park name if you like.

Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
Stainless1911

First I would like to thank you for taking time to reply to me. I appreciate it, thank you for the tips. I have only oc'd at the silverbullet, and last night when I walked my dog and boy was it the most scared I have been. I am going to school for law enforcement and would hate to make a mistake that would ruin my life. I will stay away from all grocers for the next few months or until my cpl is issued. I will also take your advice, again thank you!

Oh and after reading all the tips on holster selection I purchased a blackhawk serpa concealment holster, and must say it is awesome!!!

Glock 214

No problem, I got a lot of help when I was new here, some people had to beat some of the laws into my head lol.

I carry an XD .40 in a blackhawk serpa.

Dont go concealing that thing, not even by accident.

Glock214

This might be a dumb question but, am I correct to assume as long as I'm not in/on property that is pistol free as those listed on the pocket cards listed in previous forums I'm free to oc? Are parks off limits? Such as rosa parks circle, or parks that have playgrounds for children like cutlerville park? I know if a school is on the property I cannot carry, but I planned on taking my daughter and my dog for a walk and wanted to take her over to park to play. Im still not sure I will oc, but I would like to know. And stainless don't worry any shirt I wear will be tucked in so I cannot conceal my glock even on accident. I printed out as much info as I could, and carry it in my car so I can reference it if I am oc'ing and detained. Are there any michigan cited laws I should print out? Honestly, I looked at the website, but have no idea what to look for. Thanks again to everybody who is willing to help newbies like myself learn the laws better so that we can represent the oc movement correctly.

Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
You're free to OC anywhere that is not prohibited. Parks are preempted. The presence of children is irrelevant. Since you have no CPL, the two main laws that you need to know, are MCL 750.234d, and 750.231a.

If the playground is on the property of a school, its a no go, do not carry there.

Read this:http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81204-Open-Carry-Guide-Project

Bookmark this: http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

Bookmark this:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uejme24532mptq55fkauqx3t))/mileg.aspx?page=home

Print these:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ue...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ue...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Glock214

You're free to OC anywhere that is not prohibited. Parks are preempted. The presence of children is irrelevant. Since you have no CPL, the two main laws that you need to know, are MCL 750.234d, and 750.231a.

If the playground is on the property of a school, its a no go, do not carry there.

Read this:http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81204-Open-Carry-Guide-Project

Bookmark this: http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/llist/

Bookmark this:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uejme24532mptq55fkauqx3t))/mileg.aspx?page=home

Print these:http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ue...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-234d

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ue...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-750-231a

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

I spent the day yesterday oc'ing around my home, walking my dog, mowing the yard and just randomly walking around my house doing chores that didn't necessarily need to be done. But it was such a great feeling after watching the don't talk to police videos on the link you provided me with, along with the rest of the information. I printed out all documents and rehearsed "under suspicion of what crime am I being detained?" "What is your reasonable suspicion?" and "Am I Free to Go?" Wash, Rinse, and Repeat! Among other useful tips like the 4th and 5th amendment. By no means am I saying I'm fully confident... no where near that. However I am able to at least know that I can walk down my streets with my dog oc'ing in, and around my mh park. I even read all rules and regulations just to make sure, and there was nothing in the rules that stated anything about firearms. I cannot thank you enough for pointing me to the wealth of knowledge that you did. I still am very scared and just uneasy about oc'ing at a store or something. For that I will wait to hopefully OC with DrTodd and Shadow Bear to feel more at ease and learn a first hand approach to oc'ing in public, and asking any concerns I have, such as do you get a lot of attention, or get asked to leave from business a lot? Anyway, again, I thank you and everybody who helps newbies out like myself. Carry On!!!
And I will be joining you guys soon, for now, open carry for me will be around my home, and while walking my dog.

-Glock 214

Oh, and I signed up for my CPL class, within a few months (I'm hoping it's sooner though) I will have a CPL!!!

stainless1911

Banned
Good to hear. You'll get there, dont worry. These are your rights, carry them proudly. Most people dont notice anyhow, most who do, are gun owners themselves, which is why they would have the situational awareness to notice. I've only been asked to leave 3 times, once, a store in the mall, and at 2 different Krogers stores. I OC everyday, and have done so for a couple years, the ratio of acceptance vs. being asked to leave is too little to bother with.

I loled at your doing stuff you didnt need to do, Im guilty of that myself.

Glock214

Question about magazines and whether or not it matters if they are concealed during oc? I'm assuming it does not matter, but would like to feel reassured. I plan to carry two spare mags with me incase god forbid I ever need to draw my gun.(Hope I never do, but would like to not need extra mags and have them, then not have them and need them.)

Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
No restrictions on mags.

I carry 2 extra myself. Hint, load 1 with FMJ, just in case. If you get down to that last mag, you'll probably be dealing with cover anyhow, and the sheeple will have run away, so overpenetration wont be much of an issue.

Glock214

I just recently had an interesting and very informative conversation with an officer. I advised that person I would not cite them nor reveal their identity. I am a man of my word so I will not. I do however have a question for some seasoned OC'ers out there. The topic of OC came up, and needless to say I wasn't surprised by the fact that the person was strongly advising that I not OC, however was not trying to debate. I did mention something about not carrying in a Meijer because they sell alcohol, and they stated that I was able to carry in Meijer openly however they did not encourage it. Also advised the few times they had been called out to an OC'er in Meijer they were there simply to ensure safety. The officer did mention that they have not had many encounters with OC'ers without cpl's. Now my question is this... I read on the OC cards that ANY place that had ANY license to sell liquor was off limits without a cpl. Was I given false information by the officer? I do not plan to OC there simply because I have not yet had the experience of OC'ing with some seasoned OC'ers to help build up my confidence to be able to OC anywhere I legally am able to currently without a cpl. However this made me wonder a bit. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about all the questions, I would rather get beat up on the forums for asking to many than arrested on the outside for acting before asking.
I promise, I will stop asking soon. I am not a jedi master like ya'll just yet lol

Glock214

stainless1911

Banned
We're not going to beat you up. Answering your questions keeps us sharp and strong.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theater.

(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

stainless1911

Banned
He told you wrong. You need a CPL to OC or CC at a Meijers.

Most cops were against CC when it first came around, OC is becoming more understood the more we do it.

The only reason people dont like OC, who dont like OC, is because they dont know enough about OC.

Centurion

Most cops were against CC when it first came around, OC is becoming more understood the more we do it.

The only reason people dont like OC, who dont like OC, is because they dont know enough about OC.

The only way to carry in a business that has a liquor license without a CPL is to have the express permission of the owner or a agent of management. Get it in writing or don't carry there is my suggestion.:)

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

And, it reminds them that they are naked & helpless in the face of a determined adversary. People hate that; it disrupts their fantasy that nothing bad will happen. Kind of like the belief that monsters cannot touch blankets. They actually use them for a napkin after they eat you. And floss with the elastic from your jammies.:uhoh:

Glock214

Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it!! Today I oc'd at sonic for some food, I just ordered food on foot and paid, tipped the friendly car hop which I thought would freak out once she saw my glock, but actually just smiled and kept on trying to talk to me but her words didn't come out right. I'm going to say it was because of me and not my gun lol. Other than that no one said anything. My heart was racing, I had to control my breathing and keep my knees from shaking. But like stainless told me baby steps. Maybe next time I will eat there. First time oc'ing, and I'm still feeling the adrenaline.

Glock214