• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter with Sheriffs Dept. on I 10 Stop

Potent Dagger

Let me reply to those who took issue with my previous post collectively.

First many of you seem to think that your "right" to carry trumps the issue of Officer Safety as found in cases like Terry v. Ohio, Michigan v. Long, and many others. I can only assume that your beliefs are born of ignorance of the real world application of concepts such as Reasonable Suspicion and the practical application of those legal concepts as it relates to officer tactical responses in those cases.

Anyone with prior law enforcement experience or training knows that next in line after domestic disturbance calls, traffic stops are the second major category of police activity where officer injuries and fatalities occur. Traffic stops, even for the most frivolous of traffic law infringements can rapidly escalate, and have dangerous results for officer safety. Were you speeding because you are late for an appointment, or are you seeking to put distance between your self and the scene of some other more serious offense you just committed,,,,,the officer approaching your car has no real idea.

When I was stopped by a Louisiana Deputy in a High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, he had no idea if I was there to buy drugs, sell drugs, sell guns, hire a prostitute, do a drive by shooting, commit a cartel ordered hit on a drug dealer, or if I was just there to meet with a client of my business. That Deputy was acting to protect the public, which includes me, and by me taking the initiative to let him know I was armed legally, I took a step toward not only helping him do his job by moving on to someone else with decidedly less legal intentions, but I also proactively acted to ensure my own safety by letting the officer know I was armed and not to find that out by surprise, if he asked me to step out of my vehicle and saw my Walther stuck inside the waistband of my jeans which could cause him to have reason to react.

But lets say that the officer who stops you gives you the benefit of the doubt and assumes that you just have a lead foot. He approaches your vehicle, obtains your drivers license and engages you in conversation about your driving habits. He then notices the butt of your pistol as you lean over to get your registration out of the glove box.

His RAS is that you are armed with a dangerous weapon ( which can be a Felony crime), and that RAS triggers two things:

First off it triggers the ability of the officer to search you and to act in a much more aggressive manner using tactics from the perspective of officer safety. He can draw his weapon, he can physically restrain you into a position where he has dominance over your movements or gains him tactical advantage prior to conducting a search of your person , he may search your person, seize your firearm during the duration of his stop, and can place you in handcuffs for the purpose of officer safety. Yet you are not under arrest.

The Officer is not obligated to assume at the moment he surprisingly becomes aware you are armed that you are in compliance with the laws related to having a permit, and he is permitted to first insure his own safety by taking the weapon into his temporary custody. Officer Safety Doctrine demands he be proactive and act aggressively in his own safety interests before conducting further investigation by questioning you. He is not obligated to assume that because you are armed you are just a citizen exercising your right to be armed, and there are a long list of dead and seriously wounded officers to support this doctrine.

This is the classic Terry V. Ohio investigatory detention in a traffic violation situation.

The second thing this situation triggers is the doctrine of warrantless search of a vehicle under Michigan v. Long, which expanded the Terry doctrine to a warrantless search of vehicle compartments. Both cases allow for warrantless searches of vehicles under the circumstances I describe in the above paragraph. The RAS is the same, you are armed with a dangerous weapon, and the Officer is not obligated to assume that the weapon he takes from your person is the only weapon you have. The Officer may search the vehicle compartment for other weapons, and he may even search other occupants of the vehicle based on this type of RAS as he may assume others in the vehicle are armed or have access to weapons hidden from view inside the vehicle.

Being observed by a LEO that you are armed is in itself RAS under Terry and Michigan v. Long in any state where carrying without a license is an offense. The officer is allowed first and foremost to act to insure his own safety BEFORE attempting to make any further determinations as to if you are legally armed.

Since many of us do OC and CCW, not to place yourself in the shoes of the Officer and look at things from his perspective is not only foolish, but under many seemingly innocent circumstances, down right dangerous.

By being proactive during a traffic stop and informing the officer you are "legally armed" as opposed to "obviously armed perhaps in violation of the law" you accomplish several things:

1. First you put the officer more at ease with the situation, you are friendly and cooperative, and he will more than likely reciprocate .

2. You have proactively removed the RAS for the traffic stop to escalate into a more confrontational Terry Stop situation, by removing the possibility of passively provoking a legally justified, aggressive tactical response from the officer, who is under no obligated to assume your "good will" toward his safety.

3. You open the door to a much less confrontational educational opportunity to discuss CCW and OC with the individual officer in a manner that allows you to educate the individual officer, and perhaps gain an ally in our cause to make OC and CCW a non-starter issue with police officials who will have influence on legislation we have yet to encounter.

Police Officers in this nation encounter many armed individuals on an almost daily basis. Part of the sad truth about officers is that most of those they encounter with weapons are not citizens exercising their Constitutional right to bear arms, but instead are criminals who use those arms to threaten the safety of the public and endanger the lives of officers who try to protect us.

As citizens who have decided to take our own safety into consideration and arm ourselves, we can take two different avenues in our encounters with officers, one which will leave the officers with a positive impression of the greater OC and CCW community, or one which will leave them with the impression that some of us are simply "insert your favorite explicative" looking for a confrontation.

Officers who encounter us are going to voice their experiences up the chain of command, and if the dominate view they express is that OCers' and even some CCW'ers are actively seeking confrontations with police officers, the response from the command level will be to voice opposition when they are asked to comment on legislation which support expansion of the right of OC or CCW, or to support the passage of legislation restricting OC and CCW which we would oppose.

I resubmit that our cause is best served through creative and proactive positive encounters with police officers, not only at the street level, but also at the supervisory and command levels. We need to work with those who develop the training programs for officers and dispatchers on critical information they need in handling "man with a gun calls" and we need to work with police and the media to educate the general public that just because they observe someone with a weapon there is not necessarily a crime being committed. I assure you that a few isolated segments on APT or the Birmingham TV stations is not sufficient.

From a practical standpoint, with each confrontational encounter between LEO's and OC/CCW practitioners, there also comes a risk that a situation may occur with tragic consequences. An Officer may be killed by a person he concludes is simply OCing, or an OCer may be killed by an officer who misinterprets the OCers actions. Such an outcome will have far reaching consequences, adverse public reaction to OC/CCW, and possible adverse legislative action which will roll back the cause of not only OC but also CCW.

Currently with the exception of the Illinois, CCW and OC have the law and the Constitution on our side, what we clearly do not have is a totality of support and acceptance from the general public, the media, our legislators, or the Law Enforcement Community, for the concept of OC and CCW and confrontational encounters with law enforcement will not convince them to join us rather than to oppose us.

Being right, or it seems for some more like "self-righteous", is one thing, winning is a whole other game and some of you do not seem to grasp the rules for winning.

Potent Dagger

I suggest you re-read Washington v. Indiana and my post.

The difference between the scenario in Washington and my post is that in Washington the subject being detained was asked by the officer if he had any weapon in the car to which the subject replied he did and he told to officer he had a valid permit, those actions negated the RAS for further action on the part of the officer.

In my scenario, you should note that that I or the officer conducting the stop "observes" the weapon, and there is an absence of any verbal disclosure by the subject that he is armed or has a valid permit. The "surprise" or incidental observation of a weapon is RAS under Terry in any state where carrying a concealed weapon is a crime, and the possibility of an exception by permit does not require the officer to inquire first, rather than secure the weapon first, then inquire.

I appreciate the fact that you read Constitutional cases, but I caution you to be more acute in your attention to the details of the situations they discuss. Much of the case law on Constitutionality of search and seizure focuses on the study of the technicality of the actions of the parties, and often hinge on the most minor of details.

When Washinton volunteered he was armed and had a permit, the officer RAS for a Terry detention went right out of the window. My scenario has no such discourse between the officer and the subject.

The Indiana Court of Appeals ruled conduct such as Potent Dagger's to be illegal (at least in the state of Indiana.) Now, I won't absolutely guarantee that a decision in 7th Circuit is necessarily binding in 11th Circuit, but I think I could make a pretty convincing case, especially in light of Jones vs State of Georgia being decided decided in 11th Circuit.

That would be Washington vs Indiana for those interested.

Potent Dagger

In answer to your question about legal justification for an expanded search of the vehicle I refer you to , MICHIGAN v. LONG, 463 U.S. 1032 (1983), and here is the findlaw link to the text of the SCOTUS decision.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=463&page=1032

In summery,

Two police officers, patrolling in a rural area at night, observed a car traveling erratically and at excessive speed. When the car swerved into a ditch, the officers stopped to investigate and were met by respondent, the only occupant of the car, at the rear of the car. Respondent, who "appeared to be under the influence of something," did not respond to initial requests to produce his license and registration, and when he began walking toward the open door of the car, apparently to obtain the registration, the officers followed him and saw a hunting knife on the floorboard of the driver's side of the car. The officers then stopped respondent and subjected him to a patdown search, which revealed no weapons. One of the officers shined his flashlight into the car, saw something protruding from under the armrest on the front seat, and upon lifting the armrest saw an open pouch that contained what appeared to be marihuana. Respondent was then arrested for possession of marihuana. A further search of the car's interior revealed no more contraband, but the officers decided to impound the vehicle and more marihuana was found in the trunk. The Michigan state trial court denied respondent's motion to suppress the marihuana taken from both the car's interior and its trunk, and he was convicted of possession of marihuana. The Michigan Court of Appeals affirmed, holding that the search of the passenger compartment was valid as a protective search under Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 , and that the search of the trunk was valid as an inventory search under South Dakota v. Opperman, 428 U.S. 364 . However, the Michigan Supreme Court reversed, holding that Terry did not justify the passenger compartment search, and that the marihuana found in the trunk was the "fruit" of the illegal search of the car's interior.

2. The protective search of the passenger compartment of respondent's car was reasonable under the principles articulated in Terry and other decisions of this Court. Although Terry involved the stop and subsequent patdown search for weapons of a person suspected of criminal activity, it did not restrict the preventive search to the person of the detained suspect. Protection of police and others can justify protective searches when police have a reasonable belief that the suspect poses a danger. Roadside encounters between police and suspects are especially hazardous, and danger may arise from the possible presence of weapons in the area surrounding a suspect. Thus, the search of the passenger compartment of an automobile, limited to those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden, is permissible if the police officer possesses a reasonable belief based on specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the officer to believe that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons. If, while conducting a legitimate Terry search of an automobile's interior, the officer discovers contraband other than weapons, he cannot be required to ignore the contraband, and the Fourth Amendment does not require its suppression in such circumstances. The circumstances of this case justified the officers in their reasonable belief that respondent posed a danger if he were permitted to reenter his vehicle. Nor did they act unreasonably in taking preventive measures to ensure that there were no other weapons within respondent's immediate grasp before permitting him to reenter his automobile. The fact that respondent was under the officers' control during the investigative stop does not render unreasonable their belief that he could injure them. Pp. 1045-1052.

SCOTUS affrimed the convition.

Once out of and separated from the vehicle and any weapons that may be within the driver's reach inside, what are the legal grounds for conducting a search for items the driver is unable to menace the officer with?[/B]

Btw, calling my county Sheriff to verify my permit is just going to get a hearty laugh from him as he has absolutely nothing to do with issuing one and has no control over it.

If you see that I have a wallet, eyeglasses, a voice recorder, a pen or pencil, or any other legally possessed item, is that also grounds for seizing said effects, or is there a 'firearms exception' to the Fourth Amendment that I'm unaware of?

As for the "you'll be getting the ticket"... I wasn't counting on getting out of one anyway, what do I care?

Pull and aim a deadly weapon at me without legal justification and I'll do my very best to make sure that you, your supervisor, your captain, your union representative, your attorney, my attorney, and I will all be having a charming little get together with you as a primary participant.
I'll also expend a more than reasonable amount of capital to make sure it's much longer and much more unpleasant than our previous meeting.
I hope there are backup plans for a career.

OC for ME

From Michigan v. Long: These principles compel our conclusion that the search of the passenger compartment of an automobile, limited to those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden, is permissible if the police officer possesses a reasonable belief based on "specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant" the officer in believing that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons.

Now if I stop you and you do not inform me of the weapon you have, and I end up seeing that you are armed, you will have the very unpleasant experience of me drawing my weapon aiming it at you and ordering you out of the vehicle, disarming you, conducting a search of your vehicle while I wait for the NCIC/NLETS check to come back, and the dispatcher to call your sheriff to verify your permit, while you sit on the bumper of my car in handcuffs.
Based on the facts in your scenario the mere presence of a gun meets your criteria that the suspect is a danger to you. In Alabama, I think, the sight of a 'concealed' gun by a LEO is RAS/PC to do all of those things because a permit is required to 'conceal' in your vehicle.

The progression in your scenario; see gun, draw, aim, order, cuff, place on bumper (assumption on my part regarding the order of the this step), check/search. I guess your 'investigation' at the check/search part would discover my permit. Because I am not going to say a word to a fella who has/had a gun pointed at me. He drew-down on me once, now that I am restrained and can not defend myself I am not going to a say anything that might provoke a violent response from the LEO.

Bottom line, Michigan v. Long gives LE the authority to draw, aim, order, cuff/restrain, check/search anyone regardless of the facts because the facts will be argued later, in a courtroom.

Treborfoot

to do all of those things because a permit is required to 'conceal' in your vehicle.
Your permit has nothing to do with concealment in your car...It has to do with transportation of the firearm.

Vehicle carry restrictions came from Acts1936,Ex.Sess.,No.82,p51. This Alabama's version of the National Firearm Act of 1934.

Think Bonnie and Clyde.

A copy of this Act is in the following link.

http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=1929.0

Vehicle open carry was not unlawful from 1951 (by Acts 1951 p.1378 No. 784, link to act http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=2335.0) until made unlawful again in 1956 (Acts 1956 p. 336 No. 43, link to Act http://alabamaopencarry.com/forum/index.php?topic=2336.0)

Alabama has very limited provisions that allow vehicle carry without a permit...Alabama has no provisions for defensive vehicle carry or just going to the shooting range unless you have a permit.

Treborfoot

Kingfish

You and your department would be in for a big lawsuit if you did what you describe in the above paragragh in Idaho. We are a open carry state with a lot of people having their CCW. You would have no reason search and disarm and detain someone for doing something that is LEGAL but you happen to DISLIKE.
He is in Alabama. Alabama LEO can get away with anything they want. There are no ramifications for unlawful actions by LE.

FTG-05

Based on the facts in your scenario the mere presence of a gun meets your criteria that the suspect is a danger to you. In Alabama, I think, the sight of a 'concealed' gun by a LEO is RAS/PC to do all of those things because a permit is required to 'conceal' in your vehicle.

The progression in your scenario; see gun, draw, aim, order, cuff, place on bumper (assumption on my part regarding the order of the this step), check/search. I guess your 'investigation' at the check/search part would discover my permit. Because I am not going to say a word to a fella who has/had a gun pointed at me. He drew-down on me once, now that I am restrained and can not defend myself I am not going to a say anything that might provoke a violent response from the LEO.

Bottom line, Michigan v. Long gives LE the authority to draw, aim, order, cuff/restrain, check/search anyone regardless of the facts because the facts will be argued later, in a courtroom.

With all respect, you're first statement is not quite correct.

Here is what he actually stated (emphasis mine):

"Now if I stop you and you do not inform me of the weapon you have, and I end up seeing that you are armed, you will have the very unpleasant experience of me drawing my weapon aiming it at you and ordering you out of the vehicle, disarming you, conducting a search of your vehicle while I wait for the NCIC/NLETS check to come back, and the dispatcher to call your sheriff to verify your permit, while you sit on the bumper of my car in handcuffs. Plus I assure you that you will get the ticket."

Note that it is the combination of a weapon and not telling the officer about the firearm. Nothing is stated about being asked and then being lied to; but just the mere presence of the firearm and not telling the officer before it being inadvertently seen by the officer.

Absent the officer not asking, this is pretty much proof that "officer safety" is not the reason for the reaction; if it was, the question would be the first (or nearly first) thing out of his mouth - there's been no indication from this poster that this is the case.

Hence, the "officer safety" routine of illegally seizing the weapon, cuffing the LAC and the subsequent guarantee of a traffic ticket, is nothing more than someone with a badge on a power trip.

And just for the record: I'm not aware of any state that doesn't have at least a "duty to inform if asked" (I know AL does). If an officer asks, is then lied to and then subsequently discovers a firearm, I'm all for cuffin' and stuffin'. This scenario, however, has not been discussed in this thread that I've seen.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Perhaps the gentleman will read Washington v. Indiana a bit closer himself.

Williams was removed from the vehicle and handcuffed, giving no opportunity for him to menace the officer with any weapon within his reach, (or especially, one out of his reach, in the vehicle he had been removed from.)
Williams' vehicle was searched after he had been removed from it.

Potent Dagger wrote that:
... he would remove an occupant from a vehicle, handcuff him and place him on the front bumper of his car so that he could not be menaced by any weapon.
... he wrote that he would then conduct a search, of a vehicle no longer in control of the occupant, and beyond the arm's reach of the occupant who was now removed from and in handcuffs.

The Court wrote:
"... Accordingly, Washington’s statement there was a gun under his seat simply could not justify a search of his car based on concern for officer safety..." [as Washington, like Gant, was removed from his car and handcuffed.]
and
"... Last year, the United States Supreme Court held:
Police may search a vehicle incident to a recent occupant’s arrest only if the arrestee is within reaching distance of the passenger compartment at the time of the search or it is reasonable to believe the vehicle contains evidence of the offense of arrest. When these justifications are absent, a search of an arrestee’s vehicle will be unreasonable unless police obtain a warrant or show that another exception to the warrant requirement applies..."

The Court therefore ruled:
That the search of Washington's vehicle was illegal.
I have little doubt that due to similar circumstances, any search of my car after I've been removed from it and handcuffed, would also be ruled illegal, and any fruits of said search would be ruled inadmissible.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

In answer to your question about legal justification for an expanded search of the vehicle I refer you to , MICHIGAN v. LONG, 463 U.S. 1032 (1983), and here is the findlaw link to the text of the SCOTUS decision.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=463&page=1032
The officers had RAS...But it was because of the other circumstances...not the mere presence of a firearm.
You have Got to love it when someone refers you for the counter for his argument, in the belief that he's proving it.
In Michigan v. Long, there was a item in plain sight that a reasonable person would suspect was illegal, thus providing RAS that there was illegal activity.

In Potent Dager v. the world, the only evidence is that there was on the person of someone else a legal item, a watch, a cell phone, eye glasses, a firearm, or even wallet. Possession of a legal item does not give a reasonable person suspicion that there is something illegal afoot.

DocWalker

Let me reply to those who took issue with my previous post collectively.

First many of you seem to think that your "right" to carry trumps the issue of Officer Safety as found in cases like Terry v. Ohio, Michigan v. Long, and many others. I can only assume that your beliefs are born of ignorance of the real world application of concepts such as Reasonable Suspicion and the practical application of those legal concepts as it relates to officer tactical responses in those cases.

Anyone with prior law enforcement experience or training knows that next in line after domestic disturbance calls, traffic stops are the second major category of police activity where officer injuries and fatalities occur. Traffic stops, even for the most frivolous of traffic law infringements can rapidly escalate, and have dangerous results for officer safety. Were you speeding because you are late for an appointment, or are you seeking to put distance between your self and the scene of some other more serious offense you just committed,,,,,the officer approaching your car has no real idea.

When I was stopped by a Louisiana Deputy in a High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, he had no idea if I was there to buy drugs, sell drugs, sell guns, hire a prostitute, do a drive by shooting, commit a cartel ordered hit on a drug dealer, or if I was just there to meet with a client of my business. That Deputy was acting to protect the public, which includes me, and by me taking the initiative to let him know I was armed legally, I took a step toward not only helping him do his job by moving on to someone else with decidedly less legal intentions, but I also proactively acted to ensure my own safety by letting the officer know I was armed and not to find that out by surprise, if he asked me to step out of my vehicle and saw my Walther stuck inside the waistband of my jeans which could cause him to have reason to react.

But lets say that the officer who stops you gives you the benefit of the doubt and assumes that you just have a lead foot. He approaches your vehicle, obtains your drivers license and engages you in conversation about your driving habits. He then notices the butt of your pistol as you lean over to get your registration out of the glove box.

His RAS is that you are armed with a dangerous weapon ( which can be a Felony crime), and that RAS triggers two things:

First off it triggers the ability of the officer to search you and to act in a much more aggressive manner using tactics from the perspective of officer safety. He can draw his weapon, he can physically restrain you into a position where he has dominance over your movements or gains him tactical advantage prior to conducting a search of your person , he may search your person, seize your firearm during the duration of his stop, and can place you in handcuffs for the purpose of officer safety. Yet you are not under arrest.

The Officer is not obligated to assume at the moment he surprisingly becomes aware you are armed that you are in compliance with the laws related to having a permit, and he is permitted to first insure his own safety by taking the weapon into his temporary custody. Officer Safety Doctrine demands he be proactive and act aggressively in his own safety interests before conducting further investigation by questioning you. He is not obligated to assume that because you are armed you are just a citizen exercising your right to be armed, and there are a long list of dead and seriously wounded officers to support this doctrine.

This is the classic Terry V. Ohio investigatory detention in a traffic violation situation.

The second thing this situation triggers is the doctrine of warrantless search of a vehicle under Michigan v. Long, which expanded the Terry doctrine to a warrantless search of vehicle compartments. Both cases allow for warrantless searches of vehicles under the circumstances I describe in the above paragraph. The RAS is the same, you are armed with a dangerous weapon, and the Officer is not obligated to assume that the weapon he takes from your person is the only weapon you have. The Officer may search the vehicle compartment for other weapons, and he may even search other occupants of the vehicle based on this type of RAS as he may assume others in the vehicle are armed or have access to weapons hidden from view inside the vehicle.

Being observed by a LEO that you are armed is in itself RAS under Terry and Michigan v. Long in any state where carrying without a license is an offense. The officer is allowed first and foremost to act to insure his own safety BEFORE attempting to make any further determinations as to if you are legally armed.

Since many of us do OC and CCW, not to place yourself in the shoes of the Officer and look at things from his perspective is not only foolish, but under many seemingly innocent circumstances, down right dangerous.

By being proactive during a traffic stop and informing the officer you are "legally armed" as opposed to "obviously armed perhaps in violation of the law" you accomplish several things:

1. First you put the officer more at ease with the situation, you are friendly and cooperative, and he will more than likely reciprocate .

2. You have proactively removed the RAS for the traffic stop to escalate into a more confrontational Terry Stop situation, by removing the possibility of passively provoking a legally justified, aggressive tactical response from the officer, who is under no obligated to assume your "good will" toward his safety.

3. You open the door to a much less confrontational educational opportunity to discuss CCW and OC with the individual officer in a manner that allows you to educate the individual officer, and perhaps gain an ally in our cause to make OC and CCW a non-starter issue with police officials who will have influence on legislation we have yet to encounter.

Police Officers in this nation encounter many armed individuals on an almost daily basis. Part of the sad truth about officers is that most of those they encounter with weapons are not citizens exercising their Constitutional right to bear arms, but instead are criminals who use those arms to threaten the safety of the public and endanger the lives of officers who try to protect us.

As citizens who have decided to take our own safety into consideration and arm ourselves, we can take two different avenues in our encounters with officers, one which will leave the officers with a positive impression of the greater OC and CCW community, or one which will leave them with the impression that some of us are simply "insert your favorite explicative" looking for a confrontation.

Officers who encounter us are going to voice their experiences up the chain of command, and if the dominate view they express is that OCers' and even some CCW'ers are actively seeking confrontations with police officers, the response from the command level will be to voice opposition when they are asked to comment on legislation which support expansion of the right of OC or CCW, or to support the passage of legislation restricting OC and CCW which we would oppose.

I resubmit that our cause is best served through creative and proactive positive encounters with police officers, not only at the street level, but also at the supervisory and command levels. We need to work with those who develop the training programs for officers and dispatchers on critical information they need in handling "man with a gun calls" and we need to work with police and the media to educate the general public that just because they observe someone with a weapon there is not necessarily a crime being committed. I assure you that a few isolated segments on APT or the Birmingham TV stations is not sufficient.

From a practical standpoint, with each confrontational encounter between LEO's and OC/CCW practitioners, there also comes a risk that a situation may occur with tragic consequences. An Officer may be killed by a person he concludes is simply OCing, or an OCer may be killed by an officer who misinterprets the OCers actions. Such an outcome will have far reaching consequences, adverse public reaction to OC/CCW, and possible adverse legislative action which will roll back the cause of not only OC but also CCW.

Currently with the exception of the Illinois, CCW and OC have the law and the Constitution on our side, what we clearly do not have is a totality of support and acceptance from the general public, the media, our legislators, or the Law Enforcement Community, for the concept of OC and CCW and confrontational encounters with law enforcement will not convince them to join us rather than to oppose us.

Being right, or it seems for some more like "self-righteous", is one thing, winning is a whole other game and some of you do not seem to grasp the rules for winning.

May I say one thing about your post....IT IS ALL BULL. I would also submit that if a pig had wings it could fly. The whole officer saftey excuse to throw out the US Constitution is crap also. I got out of LE due to the fact to may thought the badge gave them superman powers. You sound like you would have fit in well with the waffen SS. This is only my humble option but would you like some over zelous officer pulling your child from their car and face planing them just because they happen to be driving down a road known for drug traffic activity. I guess you never heard of innocent until proven guilty and the 4th and 5th.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

As Potent Dagger stated... the only reason he has given for handcuffing the individual is his discovery that the individual is carrying something lawful (a cellular telephone? a beeper? a firearm?)

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing illegal, suspicious, or incriminatory about lawful activity.

It occurs to me, if PD would cuff and stuff someone if he discovers a concealed firearm that he's not told about, what does he contemplate doing with someone who's openly carrying and being stopped?
Is he going to seize the person's effects and handcuff them as well?
And upon seizing said property, is he also going to remove that person from his vehicle and conduct a search of a vehicle over which the driver has no control and is incapable of reaching any weapon with which to menace Ofc. PD?

Last edited:

DocWalker

As Potent Dagger stated... the only reason he has given for handcuffing the individual is his discovery that the individual is carrying something lawful (a cellular telephone? a beeper? a firearm?)

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing illegal, suspicious, or incriminatory about lawful activity.

It occurs to me, it DP would cuff and stuff someone if he discovers a concealed firearm that he's not told about, what does he contemplate doing with someone who's openly carrying and being stopped?
Going to seize the person's effects, absent of any reasonable belief that it will be used to menace, there as well?

Yes and all in the name of "officer safety". If a person is scared to do a paticular job then they need to find another that doesn't scare them that much.

Fallschirjmäger

May I say one thing about your post....IT IS ALL BULL. I would also submit that if a pig had wings it could fly. The whole officer saftey excuse to through out the US Constitution is crap also. I got out of LE due to the fact to may thought the badge gave them superman powers. You sound like you would have fit in well with the waffen SS. This is only my humble option but would you like some over zelous officer pulling your child from their car and face planing them just because they happen to be driving down a road known for drug traffic activity. I guess you never heard of innocent until proven guilty and the 4th and 5th.

The fact that he puts "rights" in scare-quotes says a lot, doesn't it?

OC for ME

A statement by a citizen that they are armed legally [will be][should be][must be] considered the truth by the LEO.

Any 'noticing' of a gun by a LEO [will][should][must] trigger a 'Terry' stop, and all of the other things a LEO can do to a citizen in a situation where a LEO notices a gun prior to the magic words 'armed, w/permit'.

Why not draw, aim, cuff, check/search when anything can be classified as a deadly weapon. Why does a LEO scarcely notice a fella with a claw hammer hanging in a loop on a belt-pouch, standing behind him at the C-Store? Why is the gun the ONLY thing that gets a LEO concerned for his safety? AND, why only during a stop? If everyone is to be considered armed and dangerous that is.

It is unrealistic for a citizen to expect that any given LEO will abide by the 'strict-ish' 'reasonableness test' as provided by SCOTUS. Michigan v. Long confirms the fact that PC is no longer required to search a citizens vehicle before arrest. Only RAS is required to search the vehicle AND any containers there in during a detainment, for officer safety.

LE has, as a rule, adhered to the principle that the citizen must be dangerous when armed whether or not the facts lead the LEO to reasonably conclude that the citizen is dangerous.

All of the good LEOs 'look' just like the bad LEOs, there is no way to tell them apart until it is too late. Conversely, all the bad LEOs look just like the good LEOs, there is no way to tell them apart until it is too late. But, this is not LEs problem, this is the citizens problem.

I am all for officer safety when the officer has a legitimate concern for his safety. Be cautious, be ready, be thoughtful. Not every contact is a potential end of life situation, as a matter of fact I suspect that the vast majority of contacts are not a potential life ending situation, and I also suspect a great many LEOs conclude this even before they get to a car window.

Unfortunately, and the courts agree, the safety of the citizen is always secondary to the officer's safety regardless of the facts in any given situation. This is proven to be true by something as trivial as a detainee being cuffed and made to sit on a patrol car bumper, on the side of the road. Not very safe in my view. Then again, the citizens' view carries little weight in that situation.

DocWalker

A statement by a citizen that they are armed legally [will be][should be][must be] considered the truth by the LEO.

Any 'noticing' of a gun by a LEO [will][should][must] trigger a 'Terry' stop, and all of the other things a LEO can do to a citizen in a situation where a LEO notices a gun prior to the magic words 'armed, w/permit'.

Why not draw, aim, cuff, check/search when anything can be classified as a deadly weapon. Why does a LEO scarcely notice a fella with a claw hammer hanging in a loop on a belt-pouch, standing behind him at the C-Store? Why is the gun the ONLY thing that gets a LEO concerned for his safety? AND, why only during a stop? If everyone is to be considered armed and dangerous that is.

It is unrealistic for a citizen to expect that any given LEO will abide by the 'strict-ish' 'reasonableness test' as provided by SCOTUS. Michigan v. Long confirms the fact that PC is no longer required to search a citizens vehicle before arrest. Only RAS is required to search the vehicle AND any containers there in during a detainment, for officer safety.

LE has, as a rule, adhered to the principle that the citizen must be dangerous when armed whether or not the facts lead the LEO to reasonably conclude that the citizen is dangerous.

All of the good LEOs 'look' just like the bad LEOs, there is no way to tell them apart until it is too late. Conversely, all the bad LEOs look just like the good LEOs, there is no way to tell them apart until it is too late. But, this is not LEs problem, this is the citizens problem.

I am all for officer safety when the officer has a legitimate concern for his safety. Be cautious, be ready, be thoughtful. Not every contact is a potential end of life situation, as a matter of fact I suspect that the vast majority of contacts are not a potential life ending situation, and I also suspect a great many LEOs conclude this even before they get to a car window.

Unfortunately, and the courts agree, the safety of the citizen is always secondary to the officer's safety regardless of the facts in any given situation. This is proven to be true by something as trivial as a detainee being cuffed and made to sit on a patrol car bumper, on the side of the road. Not very safe in my view. Then again, the citizens' view carries little weight in that situation.

Yes but then you can file lawsuit after lawsuit....isn't it fun when the goverment (LE) has more rights than the average law abiding citizen....isn't this how it started in the 1920-30's in Germany.

Treborfoot

Code of Alabama

Section 15-5-30
Authority of peace officer to stop and question.
A sheriff or other officer acting as sheriff, his deputy or any constable, acting within their respective counties, any marshal, deputy marshal or policeman of any incorporated city or town within the limits of the county or any highway patrolman or state trooper may stop any person abroad in a public place whom he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed or is about to commit a felony or other public offense and may demand of him his name, address and an explanation of his actions.

(Acts 1966, Ex. Sess., No. 157, p. 183, §1.)

Section 15-5-31
Search for dangerous weapon; procedure if weapon or other thing found.
When a sheriff or other officer acting as sheriff, his deputy or any constable, acting within their respective counties, any marshal, deputy marshal or policeman of any incorporated city or town within the limits of the county or any highway patrolman or state trooper has stopped a person for questioning pursuant to this article and reasonably suspects that he is in danger of life or limb, he may search such person for a dangerous weapon. If such officer finds such a weapon or any other thing, the possession of which may constitute a crime, he may take and keep it until the completion of the questioning, at which time he shall either return it, if lawfully possessed, or arrest such person.

(Acts 1966, Ex. Sess., No. 157, p. 183, §2.)

Treborfoot

Where simply carrying a handgun is not in itself illegal and does not constitute probable cause to arrest,2 it follows that carrying a handgun, in and of itself, does not furnish reasonable suspicion justifying a Terry stop. The same applies to persons in motor vehicles. An investigatory stop is only justified when the police have "a reasonable suspicion, based on specific, articulable facts and reasonable inferences there from," that the subject "had committed, was committing, or was about to commit a crime."3

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...n=display_arch&article_id=757&issue_id=122005

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

From the same source, Police Chief Magazine
If [the officer]confirms [the person]is in possession of a gun, the officer may ask the person to voluntarily hand it over just while the interview takes place, or insist that they hand it over if there is a reasonable belief that the safety of the officer or public is in jeopardy, or that the person has used it in a crime or is about to do so. [emphasis mine]

Officer Friendly can ask anything he wants; can I secure your firearm, do you want to tell me why you're holding a bag of cash with orange smoke coming out if it, do you want to come back to my place and play Yachtzee?
But having the authority to demand is another matter.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Yes but then you can file lawsuit after lawsuit....isn't it fun when the government (LE) has more rights than the average law abiding citizen....isn't this how it started in the 1920-30's in Germany.
I do not know about any of the Germany stuff and I am of the opinion that these types of references are counterproductive.

A call for citizens to set the example, take the high road, be the cooperative element in a LEO/citizen contact, to show deference and respect to a LEO in the hopes that the LEO will deign to reciprocate is typical from LE.