• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter with Sheriffs Dept. on I 10 Stop

Potent Dagger

You know I don't mind a spritied debate and the discussion of intellectual arguments when we disagree, however, I would remind you that in each of my posts I have not insulted anyone, nor do I choose to do so now.

If you have anything to add to the discussion that goes beyond the sort of rantings below, by all means join in and we can have a good discussion, but cheap talk like this example does not speak well of your abilities to have a rationale discussion.

During my career I have been shot at, had someone try to run me over with a car ( twice) , assualted physically and verbally more times than I care to recall, been bitten, spit on, had a female try to cut my face with a sharpened finger nail file for arresting her boyfriend for raping her daughter, sued twice ( never found liable), had my identity and home address disclosed to criminals, and a whole host of other things occur,,,,However your comparison of me as a perspective member of the Waffen SS actually made me laugh.

May I say one thing about your post....IT IS ALL BULL. I would also submit that if a pig had wings it could fly. The whole officer saftey excuse to throw out the US Constitution is crap also. I got out of LE due to the fact to may thought the badge gave them superman powers. You sound like you would have fit in well with the waffen SS. This is only my humble option but would you like some over zelous officer pulling your child from their car and face planing them just because they happen to be driving down a road known for drug traffic activity. I guess you never heard of innocent until proven guilty and the 4th and 5th.

Fallschirjmäger

If I want to hear how dangerous a job is, I can always talk to someone who drives an 18-wheeler or picks up my trash.
They're not even "on the front lines in the war against crime."
15MostDangerousJobs.png

Last edited:

FTG-05

You know I don't mind a spritied debate and the discussion of intellectual arguments when we disagree, however, I would remind you that in each of my posts I have not insulted anyone, nor do I choose to do so now.

If you have anything to add to the discussion that goes beyond the sort of rantings below, by all means join in and we can have a good discussion, but cheap talk like this example does not speak well of your abilities to have a rationale discussion.

During my career I have been shot at, had someone try to run me over with a car ( twice) , assualted physically and verbally more times than I care to recall, been bitten, spit on, had a female try to cut my face with a sharpened finger nail file for arresting her boyfriend for raping her daughter, sued twice ( never found liable), had my identity and home address disclosed to criminals, and a whole host of other things occur,,,,However your comparison of me as a perspective member of the Waffen SS actually made me laugh.

All irrelevant to the discussion at hand since they do not justify treating LACs like criminals until proven innocent.

And why haven't you identified the agency you work for? If you're so sure of the justifications for your actions as described in one of your first posts in this thread, post the name of the city or county.

Potent Dagger

Clearly you have not observed that I support OC and CCW. But there seems to be a disconnect between your desire of how things should be, in contrast to how things really are. But this is not your fault as you can not see things from the perspective of an LEO until you go through the training and live the reality on the street. Officers do not train for positive citizen encounters, they prepare for the worst case, often based on real life situations which cost another officer his life.

Is carrying a weapon in Alabama and offense in and of itself, the obvious answer is no except in certain conditions.

1. Carrying a handgun in an automobile concealed or openly is an offense, but there is an exception, if you have a permit. The Officer who contacts you during a traffic stop does not have RS to willy nilly begin a Terry stop. But at the moment he observes a handgun, he does have RS to begin a Terry investigative detention to determine if you are committing a felony criminal act. He is not required to determine if you have a permit before he takes positive steps to insure his safety. All he knows is that he has just gone from a run of the mill traffic citation to a possible serious felony offense. Officers are not required “to explore and eliminate every theoretically plausible claim of innocence,” including affirmative defenses, before making an investigative stop. Ricciuti v. New York City Transit Auth., 124 F.3d 123, 128 (2d Cir. 1997); see also Jocks v. Tavernier, 316 F.3d 128, 135 (2d. Cir. 2003)

2. If you refer back to my first post in this thread, and several subsequent comments, I have tried to impress on our readers that one of the primary reasons for informing the officer at the onset of contact that you are armed, and possess a permit, is that action removes the mere possibility of the officer going into a Terry Stop mode of dealing with you if he suddenly become aware you are armed. He has your DL, He has your valid pistol permit, he has no RS to move beyond this exchange. He can run your DL, He can call the S.O. or the State, to validate your permit is current and not revoked or suspended, but he also knows that absent some other triggering event, that is as far as he can go. The Officer has met a person who is cooperative with the Officer, has volunteered to the Officer that he is armed, and he has proved that he is not committing what is otherwise a felony. Now after doing this, what RS does the officer have to suspect that he is in danger which would justify him even contemplating taking custody of the persons weapon,,,,I sure can not come up with one.

3. "Just as probable cause may exist although a suspect is in fact innocent, probable cause may exist where the police do not know of the existence or validity of an exculpatory defense.”); Humphrey v. Staszak, 148 F.3d 719, 724 (7th Cir. 1998)", Once the officer suspects you are committing an offense by carrying a gun in a vehicle, you bear the burden of correcting the officers impression that he is dealing with an armed and potentially dangerous criminal by providing him with proof of the validity of your innocence, That is why you have the permit in the first place.

4. In State v. Timberlake, 744 N.W.2d 390 (Minn. 2008), police officers stopped the defendant’s car based solely on a 911 call from an identified private citizen. The caller said that he had just seen “a black male and black female . . . leaving a gas station in a white Pontiac Grand Prix,” and that, before they left the gas station, he had seen the black male with a gun. Id. at 392. The officers’ stop and subsequent search revealed evidence that was the basis of the defendant’s conviction for felon in possession of a firearm.
Also see United States v. Cooper, 293 Fed. Appx. 117 (3d Cir. 2008),United States v. Bond, 173 Fed. Appx. 144, 146 (3d Cir. 2006); United States v. Collins, Nos. 05-1810, 01-CR-00780, 2007 WL 4463594, at *4 (E.D. Pa. Dec. 19, 2007). Now lets assume you are OCing, no violation of Alabama statute is involved in OC, even at a gas station pump, but if a civilian not knowing Alabama's OC law exception, calls the 911 and tells them he saw you get into your ford explorer and head west, then the police do have RS for a Terry Stop of your vehicle,,,,,they have RS to do so based on the prohibition against carry in a vehicle. When they stop you they will already be in Terry Mode and "felony Stop Mode" and your best resort is to have your DL and permit at the ready.

5. What can trigger the officer having cause to take possession of your weapon during a Terry Stop. The mere presence of a weapon held by a suspect during the stop is the answer. "The officers were entitled to take Raissi’s handgun because they knew Raissi had concealed it on his person and would have easy access to it while they questioned him." Georgia Carry. Org, INC.,et al v. Metroploitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U.S. 106, 112 (1977) (“The bulge in the jacket permitted the officer to conclude that [the defendant] was armed and thus posed a serious and present danger to the safety of the officer." The manner in which the officer takes possession of the weapon may vary from asking the suspect to hand the weapon to the officer, to much more aggressive tactics....this is a matter of the officers judgment of the totality of the circumstances and the risk involved with dealing with a suspect he judges to be compliant, cooperative, and non threatening, or a suspect he deems to be evasive and nervous though generally compliant, or even such behaviors as exhibiting non-verbal physical indications of entering a "fight or flight" posture.

6. Now you ask a good, really good question, you ask "And upon seizing said property, is he also going to remove that person from his vehicle and conduct a search of a vehicle over which the driver has no control and is incapable of reaching any weapon with which to menace"? Well yes, If you read MICHIGAN v. LONG, 463 U.S. 1032 (1983), you will note that at the time the officer approached and made contact with Long, he was out of the vehicle, in fact it clearly states he was at the rear of the vehicle when officers began their contact. Long then began to walk back to the drivers door and prior to entering the vehicle the officers observed the knife, they stopped Long, frisked him for weapons and found none. Now it is important to note that the court in this case acknowledged that Long was not arrested for the knife, the search of the vehicle was for other weapons which Long might be able to acquire if he reentered the vehicle, during that search is when the officers found the drugs, and long was arrested for the drugs, not the knife. While the knife was a weapon, obviously it was not illegal for Long to have it or he would have been immediately arrested for the weapon. "when he began walking toward the open door of the car, apparently to obtain the registration, the officers followed him and saw a hunting knife on the floorboard of the driver's side of the car. The officers then stopped respondent and subjected him to a patdown search, which revealed no weapons. One of the officers shined his flashlight into the car, saw something protruding from under the armrest on the front seat, and upon lifting the armrest saw an open pouch that contained what appeared to be marijuana. Respondent was then arrested for possession of marijuana."," Roadside encounters between police and suspects are especially hazardous, and danger may arise from the possible presence of weapons in the area surrounding a suspect. Thus, the search of the passenger compartment of an automobile, limited to those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden, is permissible".

7. Now lets talk about pure OCing.....If I was off duty or even on duty and observed someone OCing, I know there is no offense being committed. A Citizen can jump up and down until he is red in the face but I am not going to take any action from a LEO perspective. In fact my attention is going to be more directed at the reporting party who is going to get the full lecture (politely given) on Alabama law, as they are clearly in greater need of education than the OCer......Now I may make contact with the OCer to apprise him of the situation, but it will not be in any confrontational manner, nor will I attempt to coerce or even suggest that he cover up.....Lets say that the property owner, say at a gas station or grocery store, asks me to have him cover up, I assure you my approach is going to be humble and almost down right apologetic. I OC and CCW, I have been in this mans same shoes, and I have no intention to confront anyone who is not even remotely breaking the law.

There is a fundamental difference between what a police officer may observe and infer from that observation, versus facts an officer is provided by a person he comes into contact with, observation alone leads to uncertainty, and the other offers the officer unambiguous, and greater clarity of the situation he is really faced with.

The whole point being I have been on both sides of the car door, that or the LEO, and that of the citizen who carries for self protection. My goal is to provide both the perspective of the LEO, and to offer you advise which will influence how officers view us based on their encounters with us.

As Potent Dagger stated... the only reason he has given for handcuffing the individual is his discovery that the individual is carrying something lawful (a cellular telephone? a beeper? a firearm?)

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing illegal, suspicious, or incriminatory about lawful activity.

It occurs to me, if PD would cuff and stuff someone if he discovers a concealed firearm that he's not told about, what does he contemplate doing with someone who's openly carrying and being stopped?
Is he going to seize the person's effects and handcuff them as well?
And upon seizing said property, is he also going to remove that person from his vehicle and conduct a search of a vehicle over which the driver has no control and is incapable of reaching any weapon with which to menace Ofc. PD?

Fallschirjmäger

Regarding #6 above. You're going to cite Michigan v Long to justify a search?
Let's look at the facts, if we may -

Long was out of his vehicle, not handcuffed, and retained the ability to reach any item within 'arm's reach' inside the vehicle. Further, according to PD "... Long then began to walk back to the drivers door..."

PD wrote that he would remove the individual from the vicinity of his car, and handcuff the individual. Neither action is mentioned in the narrative of Deputies Howell and Lewis.

The officers made a protective search to secure any weapons that an unrestrained Long might use to menace. According to the narrative, "...The officers then stopped Long's progress and subjected him to a Terry protective patdown, which revealed no weapons. Long and Deputy Lewis then stood by the rear of the vehicle..."

Anybody except me see Not see the words 'handcuffed' there? Don't be shy, raise your hands if you do.
Anybody see the phrase "by the rear of [Long's] vehicle"? Is that the same as being removed the vicinity of that same vehicle? Is it even close to being the same?
PD's handcuffing of, and removing from the immediate vicinity of a vehicle's interior both secures the individual and removes from him the opportunity to make a sudden move for any weapon secreted with in a vehicle. (Why an individual who's armed would want to instead reach into a vehicle for a weapon is an exercise I'll leave up to the reader.)

The court wrote "...In order to provide a 'workable rule,'" ... "... articles inside the relatively narrow compass of the passenger compartment of an automobile are in fact generally, even if not inevitably, within `the area into which an arrestee might reach in order to grab a weapon'..."
Unfortunately, once removed from a vehicle said objects are not generally within reach. Made doubly so by being handcuffed.

The court upheld the validity of a protective search for weapons in the absence of probable cause to arrest because it is unreasonable to deny a police officer the right "to neutralize the threat of physical harm."
If removing someone from the vicinity of where weapons might be secreted, handcuffing them so that their ability to reach inside a vehicle where weapons might be secreted does not "neutralize the threat of physical harm", what does; placing any detained individual in a locked box?

Thus sayeth the Court, "...These principles compel our conclusion that the search of the passenger compartment of an automobile, limited to those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden, is permissible if the police officer possesses a reasonable belief based on "specific and articulable facts which, taken together with the rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant" the officer in believing that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons..."

The reader may well ask, what facts are in evidence to foster a reasonable belief that dangerous objects, removed beyond the reach and immediate control must be secured from the reach and immediate control of someone in custody? (Custody in this case, being defined as being seized, being removed from the vicinity of, and restrained by handcuffs in this case.)

When you cite a case, it helps to cite one that has at least some passing resemblance to what's being discussed.

Last edited:

Kirbinator

First of all Potent, thank you for coming along into what seems like hostile territory. I will apologize if I and others seem rather kurt and hardline in our opinions, but they are based in law and jurisprudence. I've spent over two years digging through cases and constitution and noticing the same trends, reading about the misfortune of one juvenile delinquent or another or a regular person being arrested for breaking one or more laws of the state. Many others have the same opinions, because they are based in US court cases and/or Alabama court cases.

I'll be the first to point out that The Laws have changed since you got started in Law. We've amended gun laws from the very beginning until the present; the most recent in 2011 or 2010. Several laws changed in 2000. It's important to keep this in mind as we go over the cases together and discuss. Gun law in Alabama has had a checkered past with constitutionality. At one point, a law was passed that made it illegal to carry any gun without a permit or license. That law was found unconstitutional, but we still have vestiges of it on the books.

Please remember... while we may have different opinions that you do, we do have a basis in the laws that we follow or mention -- because they are the general laws of the State of Alabama, as referenced and logically traced from the Constitution of 1819 forward to 1901 and today.

The US Constitution of 1789 restricts the federal government's powers. Those not reserved are delegated to the states, and those not reserved to the state belong to the people. Law exists as a necessary double negative. That which has no law making an action illegal is legal. In my opinion, the Constitution of 1901 wiped the slate clean, but I am not a lawyer and simply one man.

Either way, we still have AG opinions that say it's legal to carry and spells out more or less where and when.

But I digress. Again, I thank you for being here and discussing with us. I hope you stick around and teach us a few things. Because of the situation being what it is, many in law enforcement do not have the patience or inkling to participate in discussion. Unfortunately, many of us do not have the patience to consider other view points either, because we see the same thing over and over again from the antis, people who recently learned about OC, and folks who hold that law means one thing, while jurisprudence proves another.

At the end of the day, we follow the law and exercise our rights.

Badger Johnson

Good debate:

Potent -
o Have you ever observed a fellow officer violating a law-abiding citizen's 2A rights? If so did you intervene, educate the fellow officer? If not, why?
o Have you ever missed a 'real criminal' (stop/action) because you or you and your partner were 'investigating' an open carrier with no RAS?
o Have you ever used 'profiling' as RAS (i.e. no crime, just a hunch)?
o Have you ever made a stop as a 'favor' to someone you knew where the stop was completely uncalled for (see below)?
o Have you ever used OC or CC stop as a fishing expedition?

I ask the last question because my LEO friends tell me they do things in the 'gray area' because they have 'struck paydirt' (typically drugs) from simple stops, such as exceeding speed limit by 1-5mph, someone changing lanes on a deserted road at night without adequate signaling, someone who was profiled driving a particular type of car (or profiling in general).

If you have done any of these, you may be exercising your experience, your spidey sense, but in absence of RAS, it's not legal to do so. I do approve of some hunch playing, but not a systematic abuse of police powers.

If you have observed 'bad LEOs' committing crimes, overstepping authority, profiling, and other abuses and done nothing you are part of the problem.
-----
I was stopped while riding a bicycle at 5mph in a park where riding was encouraged (signs existed). I even waved at the officers parked in their squad when I went by at about 3mph, in broad daylight. The officers sat in their car and waited for 30 minutes, and neglected their ACTUAL job, patrolling the neighborhood. I was frisked and questioned. They said the RAS was that someone said a person rode around a corner too quickly, and they didn't know bike riding was allowed in the park while standing in front of a big sign saying 'BIKERS KEEP RIGHT'. There are no speed limits in the park and the 'corner' had loose gravel so NO ONE could go around it quickly. I was released with no action, but it shook me up.

I found out the 'reason' was that a woman who almost ran me over going 15mph in the parking lot turn-around (throwing gravel and squealing tires) was a relative of a fellow LEO, complained that I shouted 'BIKE!' at her when I rode by (no gestures, no lecturing by me). She was elderly and I might have scared her but she almost ran me over.

I have a clean record, I have two moving violations from 30 years ago, innocent of both. One, I was on cruise control in Goochland county and I got 'revenue generation' stopped and ticketed while a bus went by me just prior going 70 in a 55. Goochland is famous for 'revenue stopping' people even in-state residents. The other I drove through a bank parking lot to look at the hours early one morning and got ticketed for 'cutting a traffic light'. I stopped in front of the bank teller window (sheesh). If LEOs are stopping ME, a virtual saint/boyscout they're just not doing their job 90% of the time, I figure.

FWIW. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Treborfoot

Quoting Potent Dagger:
3. "Just as probable cause may exist although a suspect is in fact innocent, probable cause may exist where the police do not know of the existence or validity of an exculpatory defense.”); Humphrey v. Staszak, 148 F.3d 719, 724 (7th Cir. 1998)", Once the officer suspects you are committing an offense by carrying a gun in a vehicle, you bear the burden of correcting the officers impression that he is dealing with an armed and potentially dangerous criminal by providing him with proof of the validity of your innocence, That is why you have the permit in the first place.

Humphrey v. Staszak is a case about qualified immunity! This case has nothing to do with a carrying a gun in a vehicle.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14393359317949690275&q=148+F.3d+719&hl=en&as_sdt=2,1

Are the rest of your cites the same? unfounded?

OC for ME

Potent Dagger,

Is not concealing a firearm a criminal offense in Alabama? Does Alabama statute provide a defense for concealing a firearm via a permit? What is the difference between being in a vehicle with a firearm vs. seeing a pedestrian 'printing' a firearm? If you see a citizen 'printing', would you react in the same manner as you stated you would after seeing a gun during a traffic stop?

You are not providing a perspective from a LEO that is not already known to me. Your attempts to elicit sympathy typically work on the average citizen, the uninformed citizen, the citizen who takes their rights for granted. Who generally believe the myth that LE is duty-bound to protect them. Who do not understand, or refuse to accept, the fact the LE can not protect them. That they and they alone are responsible for their own safety from the criminal elements in our society.

I have twice been contacted by LE during the general comings and goings of my daily routine since I decide to OC. In both cases the LEO was very polite during his misapplication of the law. The LEO was very polite during the infringement of my 2A and 4A rights. The LEO was very polite in the offering of advice on how and why OC is a poor choice as a method of carry. But make no mistake, that LEO stated repeatedly that he fully supported my right to carry a firearm to defend myself. It was the method that he disagreed with. Both episodes would have been viewed as pleasant, non-confrontational experiences to the casual observer.

But I knew that the officer was using the color of law in his attempt to control/change my legal behavior. I used honey to protect my rights. Fortunately the LEO was astute and recognized that he was not dealing with a uninformed citizen. Could this be considered training? Likely yes, as far as that LEO interacting with me in the future is concerned. Other citizens? Likely not, he will find a citizen that may be more pliable and accepting of his authority. He attempted to infringe and deprive, and he will continue to infringe and deprive until substantial corrective measures are applied, there by generating ill will, it is a no win situation for the lawfully armed citizen.

This left me with a dilemma, file a complaint with his department to affect training? Have a informal conversation with his supervisor? File a lawsuit? Do nothing? Other than do nothing, any steps at redress I could have chosen would have had a negative impact on that LEO at a minimum. His fellow officers would sympathize with him, only hearing his side of the story. Ironically, not interested in the facts, only the perception and outcomes. Just another uppity 'pot stirrer'. How can a climate of mutual respect and understanding be fostered if the only recourse to 'train' LE professionals is to lodge a complaint against that LEO? Or, is the 'do nothing and suck it up' the better choice so as to not generate ill will.

I am conflicted with regards to your statements. I respect every LEO who proclaims that they support our 2A right, yet, in almost the same breath they will proclaim OCers as 'pot stirrers' or some other agitator type descriptor. The method of lawful carry should not be the issue and the affect that lawful open carry has on the uninformed in our society should also not be the issue. yet it is a issue with LE.

Yet, I know and understand that LE must placate the uninformed and it is this that results in the rift that exists between OCers and LE. I see the reality, I understand the ground rules, yet LE as a matter of policy continues to perpetuate the myth that OC is a dangerous practice. A practice that causes alarm, that instills fear, that disturbs the peace. LE and LEOs routinely use these excuses, and the misapplication of the law, to interfere with, to infringe upon, the lawful exercise of our 2A right.

DocWalker

I do not know about any of the Germany stuff and I am of the opinion that these types of references are counterproductive.

A call for citizens to set the example, take the high road, be the cooperative element in a LEO/citizen contact, to show deference and respect to a LEO in the hopes that the LEO will deign to reciprocate is typical from LE.

I spent 6 years stationed in Germany and got to learn a lot about the history. Yes when hitler came to power he put together a secret police force that incouraged neighbors to spy and report anyone that disagreed with him and his party. The first consitration camps where not for the JEWS but for Germans that disagreed with the goverment. I visited Dauchach (spelling?) and it was all about the germans and political prisoners. The history channel had a good program on this, they had a story about one guy that was arrested because there was a rumor he had a gun buried in his back yard. The police came out arrested him and dug up his back yard but didn't find a gun. He was taken to a prison and tourched and killed, sick part he was a German that didn't agree with the goverment.

I'm sure that is what hitlers secret police said also or something like this; "all citizens should obey and be polite subjects and do as they are told or else".

DocWalker

First I never insulted you personally, I said your post was BULL.

Second, I have been shot at a number of time (and not just in Iraq and Afgahnistan) while working as a paramedic/firefighter. I have also been hit by cars not paying attention as they pass an accident I was working. I have been hit, decked, punched, and have more than one bite mark from my job. I however don't complain and cry my job is to hazardous, that I should have special powers to protect myself.

I compare the SS way of thinking that a badge puts someone above the law, makes them better than everyone else, lets them harrass honest people all in the name of either officer safety or "I don't need a reason, I can make one up later" attitudes.

Fallschirjmäger

Last edited:

OC for ME

There is a fundamental difference between what a police officer may observe and infer from that observation, versus facts an officer is provided by a person he comes into contact with, observation alone leads to uncertainty, and the other offers the officer unambiguous, and greater clarity of the situation he is really faced with.
A police officers' observation must lead to either action or inaction, to initiate contact or to not initiate contact. If the police officer can not deduce from the observable facts prior to initiating a contact, whether or not to act or not act, I respectfully submit that this police officer is in need of further training.

7. Now lets talk about pure OCing.....If I was off duty or even on duty and observed someone OCing, I know there is no offense being committed. A Citizen can jump up and down until he is red in the face but I am not going to take any action from a LEO perspective. In fact my attention is going to be more directed at the reporting party who is going to get the full lecture (politely given) on Alabama law, as they are clearly in greater need of education than the OCer......Now I may make contact with the OCer to apprise him of the situation, but it will not be in any confrontational manner, nor will I attempt to coerce or even suggest that he cover up.....Lets say that the property owner, say at a gas station or grocery store, asks me to have him cover up, I assure you my approach is going to be humble and almost down right apologetic. I OC and CCW, I have been in this mans same shoes, and I have no intention to confront anyone who is not even remotely breaking the law.
I am perplexed at the contradictions in this statement.

You will not take any action, yet you may take action, though you have no intention of taking any action.

You would not suggest that he cover up. But, you would 'ask' for the OCer to cover up on the behalf of the owner.

As to the 'owner', inform him that OC is legal, education completed. Then ask, if he desires that the OCing individual leave his property. If the answer is yes, then have the owner inform the OCer to leave. At this juncture the law seems fairly unambiguous. Unless of course you routinely acted as a agent of a property owner while on duty, then the need for the owner to express his desires is mitigated.

OC for ME

4. <snip> Now lets assume you are OCing, no violation of Alabama statute is involved in OC, even at a gas station pump, but if a civilian not knowing Alabama's OC law exception, calls the 911 and tells them he saw you get into your ford explorer and head west, then the police do have RS for a Terry Stop of your vehicle,,,,,they have RS to do so based on the prohibition against carry in a vehicle. When they stop you they will already be in Terry Mode and "felony Stop Mode" and your best resort is to have your DL and permit at the ready.
Number 4 kind of shoots number 7 in the foot, the gas station version anyway.

To be consistent, you must contact the OCer before he leaves because of, as you correctly state, the prohibition against carry in a vehicle.

To be consistent, you may have been derelict in your duties each time you may have witnessed this situation and did not verify that the OCer had a valid permit prior to his entering his vehicle. Similar to stopping folks leaving the parking lot of a bar I guess.

The real question is whether or not a LEO has discretionary authority to not investigate a potential felony/misdemeanor that he witnesses in progress.

MKEgal

this has gotten long...

PD, I appreciate that you're trying to have a civil debate, & also that you're not just spouting opinions... you've tried to back up what you say with citations (which, though required by forum rules, is still not common).

Potent Dagger said:
First many of you seem to think that your "right" to carry trumps the issue of Officer Safety
My right to keep & bear arms is just as important as your right to "life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness".
So no, neither issue trumps the other.

PD said:
after domestic disturbance calls, traffic stops are the second major category of police activity where officer injuries and fatalities occur.
Ummm.... try second & third place.
Somewhere around half of on-duty fatalities are due to traffic "accidents", such as driving too fast for conditions.
Yes, I'm talking about LEO here.
(And once I get back to my home computer, with the appropriate reference links in favorites, I'll dig up the cites.)

PD said:
if he asked me to step out of my vehicle and saw my Walther stuck inside the waistband of my jeans
:shocker: Dude - holster!
Or maybe you're talking about an IWB?
Or one of those cool subcompact holsters for Glocks that only cover the trigger, & tie to your belt?

PD said:
His RAS is that you are armed with a dangerous weapon (which can be a Felony crime), and that RAS triggers two things:
First off it triggers the ability of the officer to search you and to act in a much more aggressive manner
The second thing this situation triggers is the doctrine of warrantless search of a vehicle
My playing in the park with children could be a felony crime if they've been kidnapped.
Are you (generic LEO) going to stop & make sure that's not the case? How can I prove it's untrue?
Should I have to endure the pain & humiliation of being cuffed & stuffed while you check every database you can to make sure I'm not prohibited from contact with children, and that I didn't kidnap those particular children?

Also, I know we're talking about AL here, but in WI it is illegal for a LEO to be more harsh with someone because they have a license. Potential $500 fine + potential 30 days in jail.
(See above about getting back to my own computer.)

You (generic LEO) are allowed a warrantless search of a vehicle if the person under suspicion is able to get to things in that vehicle. Once someone is out of the car, esp. with the car locked or them cuffed & stuffed, you can only search with a warrant or if the car could contain evidence of the crime.
How do you get evidence of speeding from searching a car for weapons?

PD said:
An Officer may be killed by a person he concludes is simply OCing, or an OCer may be killed by an officer who misinterprets the OCers actions. Such an outcome will have far reaching consequences, adverse public reaction to OC/CCW, and possible adverse legislative action which will roll back the cause of not only OC but also CCW.
Why don't wrongful shootings by LEO have "far reaching consequences, adverse public reaction ... and possible adverse legislative action"? Why blame the victims?

Potent Dagger said:
In answer to your question about legal justification for an expanded search of the vehicle I refer you to MICHIGAN v. LONG, 463 U.S. 1032 (1983)
... Protection of police and others can justify protective searches when police have a reasonable belief that the suspect poses a danger.
And merely possessing a legal item does not reasonably lead to someone being a danger.
Someone walking along with a baseball bat might be going to/from a game, or might be going to beat someone to death.
Most likely, the former.

Fallschirmjäger said:
I have little doubt that due to similar circumstances, any search of my car after I've been removed from it and handcuffed, would also be ruled illegal, and any fruits of said search would be ruled inadmissible.
BTDT, got the settlement from the city.

Potent Dagger said:
During my career I have [buncha bad stuff] ... had my identity and home address disclosed to criminals...
You mean like suspects' identity & home address are disclosed to the public at large (including criminals)?
Or other public employee's info is also public record?
I know of a couple local officers who - when arrested for various crimes - gave false addresses for court documents (work address, then attorney's address) instead of being required to give their home addresses.
What makes them a better class of citizen, deserving of special treatment?
Especially given that they were arrested for crimes.
(One for an ND - a month after it happened & only after great public outcry -, the other for DUI + handling a firearm while intoxicated.)

Potent Dagger said:
The Officer has met a person who is cooperative with the Officer, has volunteered to the Officer that he is armed, and he has proved that he is not committing what is otherwise a felony. Now after doing this, what RS does the officer have to suspect that he is in danger which would justify him even contemplating taking custody of the persons weapon, I sure can not come up with one.
Canton, OH
+ other accounts across the country which haven't had the fortune of being videod.
All very good reasons for citizens NOT to disclose, & for anti-5A laws to be struck down.

PD said:
What can trigger the officer having cause to take possession of your weapon during a Terry Stop. The mere presence of a weapon held by a suspect during the stop is the answer.
... totality of the circumstances and the risk involved with dealing with a suspect he judges to be compliant, cooperative, and non threatening, or a suspect he deems to be evasive
... or even such behaviors as exhibiting non-verbal physical indications of entering a "fight or flight" posture
Someone peacefully exercising a right does not give RAS that the person is dangerous,
whether that right is bearing arms or remaining silent (being "uncooperative").
And according to your reasoning, my natural stance of being ready - much like ones officers are trained to use, since I learned it from someone who was employed as an officer - would cause you to believe I'm dangerous.
I know I've gotten searching looks from LEO who noticed how I'm aware of surroundings when others aren't, esp. since (in the instance I'm thinking of) I looked completely relaxed & even sleepy... to most people.

You (generic LEO) are also armed & exhibiting the same behaviours.
Plus I (generic citizen) know that some LEO (who look just like all the others) are indeed dangerous - have physically harmed citizens with no justification, and / or have acted under color of law to harass citizens for things which are perfectly legal.
So I should be worried about what you're going to do.

PD said:
Roadside encounters between police and suspects are especially hazardous, and danger may arise from the possible presence of weapons in the area surrounding a suspect.
Explain, please, how that setting makes that encounter more dangerous?
I would think that any setting where there could be things at hand which could harm people would be bad news.
The only special hazard I can see for the roadside is traffic.

PD said:
I have been on both sides of the car door, that of the LEO, and that of the citizen who carries for self protection.
:banghead:
LEO are citizens. At least, they're supposed to be.
You (generic LEO) carry for self-protection just like I do.
You use a pistol for defense in the same situations & under the same laws I (generic citizen) do.
Main differences are that your employer puts restrictions on you that I don't have,
& you're expected / allowed to go looking for trouble.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Technically PD is correct, the courts have ruled that your 2A right and your 4A right are secondary to officer safety. From a intellectual standpoint MKEgai is correct. As the Indiana Supreme Court ruled, work it out later in court. If the cops do bad, the courts will fix it is the mantra.

Fallschirjmäger

Somewhere around half of on-duty fatalities are due to traffic "accidents", such as driving too fast for conditions.
Yes, I'm talking about LEO here.
(And once I get back to my home computer, with the appropriate reference links in favorites, I'll dig up the cites.)

Depending on source and time-frame:
chart_causes.jpg
gr-officer-deaths-300.gif
police-officer-deaths-summer-2011.png

In each case less than half; in every case about equal to the number of traffic fatalities. Per the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (Hardly what you could call anti-cop biased) firearms haven't been the Number 1 cause of death for the last decade. "...Beginning in 1998 and continuing for each year since, more law enforcement officers have been killed each year in traffic incidents than from gunshot wounds or any other single cause of death..."

Firearms-v.Traffic_resize

Last edited:

Potent Dagger

Un founded

I got news for you it is highly relevant.

Or at least the judge thought so in Georgia Carry. Org, et al. v. MARTA, et al, , the case citation is verbatum from the ruling in which the subject Razzi who was detained by MARTA police officers was searched in a Terry Stop situation. In case you missed it.

That you do not SEE the relevance is not evidence that it is not relevant.

Humphrey v. Staszak is a case about qualified immunity! This case has nothing to do with a carrying a gun in a vehicle.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14393359317949690275&q=148+F.3d+719&hl=en&as_sdt=2,1

Are the rest of your cites the same? unfounded?

Potent Dagger

Are you saying that a person can not walk to a gas station and pump gas into a gas can to mow their grass while OCing, arriving on foot and leaving by the same manner. Or what about a person who arrives at a gas station to buy a soda or a snack on foot while OCing. If I did not actually see them arrive in a vehicle or begin to leave in one, I would have no cause to detain or question them for simply OCing.

If the manager of the store asked me to have him cover up his weapon I would ask him to, it is the gas stations property and he does have the authority to control his own property. I might ask him if he had a CCW permit before telling him the manager had asked for him to cover up. But as I stated it would not be in a Terry Stop manner.

Look, the core issue for me is when I observe behavior that meets the statutory elements of an offense.

Carrying a gun openly, on foot is not an offense. Carrying a gun in a vehicle or concealed is an offense. There is no legal obligation in this state for me to put on my "Psychic Hat" to Divine if the person has a permit before I make contact to investigate. I am allowed to take steps that I deem necessary for my safety and a lot of that depends on the circumstances, where we are, the time, and the verbal and non-verbal reactions of the person to my approach.

Vehicle stops are a whole other story. An officer making a vehicle stop is at an extraordinary tactical disadvantage as he approaches the car, and the vast majority of officers killed in vehicle stops are shot right by the drivers side window, where I will be standing when I make contact.

Does an officer have discretion in deciding if and when to take action or not to take action, yes, in Alabama he does, and he has civil immunity while exercising that discretion.

Two Scenarios, I see a car traveling over the posted speed limit, I try to stop them, they will not stop and two miles down the road they hit a pedestrian in a cross walk. I have no liability for exercising my discretion to pursue them. Same scenario except this time I do not pursue them and two miles down the road they hit a pedestrian in a cross walk. I have no liability for exercising my discretion not to pursue them.

It sure sucks to be the pedestrian in this case, and let me say I do not support blanket civil immunity for anyone from civil liability for clear abuse or negligent conduct in exercising an officers discretion.

Number 4 kind of shoots number 7 in the foot, the gas station version anyway.

To be consistent, you must contact the OCer before he leaves because of, as you correctly state, the prohibition against carry in a vehicle.

To be consistent, you may have been derelict in your duties each time you may have witnessed this situation and did not verify that the OCer had a valid permit prior to his entering his vehicle. Similar to stopping folks leaving the parking lot of a bar I guess.

The real question is whether or not a LEO has discretionary authority to not investigate a potential felony/misdemeanor that he witnesses in progress.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Really? On foot filling a gas can? Do not OCers in Alabama not pump gas into their vehicles while they are OCing? Hyperbole and deflection. If you see a OCer pumping gas into a vehicle is it not reasonable to deduce that he may enter that vehicle and drive away? Now, I understand that the decision to act or not act on your observations must be carefully weighed and various elements considered. I respect the dilemma that a officer is placed in when trying to balance LE and respecting a citizens rights. I doubt that I have the temperament to do the job. But the question stands, you see a dude OCing pumping gas into a vehicle....

I accept that you see the world surrounding citizens and lawfully their exercising their 2A right differently than I do.