• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disaster and shelter OC

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Please correct me here if I am wrong, but doesn't Virginia have laws in place that prohibit any authorities from attempting to confiscate private arms such as the unconscionable acts we saw play out in New Orleans after Katrina? And that any such attempts can be resisted by the people since they would be illegal?

I suspect that many shelters would wind up in schools, hence the invocation of the ridiculous federal intrusion into our rights. What else might you be able to add that would help any members who might find themselves in a disaster area?

Information of this nature is most helpful to folks who might otherwise not be fully knowledgeable of whatever laws exist regarding arms and the bearing of them.

Thanks and best of luck to you and other members down there this weekend. The one I remember most was Hazel in 1954.

Yes and no.
If I'm not mistaken that is only for government run shelters.
Many are private shelters set up in churches and other private properties and the law may not apply.

Maybe someone that's done some research can comment. I wouldn't go to one under any circumstance so I didn't keep up with the bill.

kenny

Shelters in Virginia are run by the American Red Cross under the authority of the local government and the local Department of Social Services. The Red Cross makes the rules. They also handle all the expenses through their disaster relief branch, which they are chartered by the U.S. Congress to do and have been for about 100 years.

I don't think the firearm policy has changed any the past 50 or so years. I highly advocate sheltering in place come hell or high water.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thankfully, it's moving a little further east. It is a Cat 3 now and should be a 4 when it hits the Outer Banks, so the Beach members are gonna get wet and windy but it looks like Central Va and us down South, are just gonna get wet. Flooding may be a problem but my river goes up in a heartbeat anyway, so I built high enough to not worry about it.

Dreghorn

I highly advocate sheltering in place come hell or high water.

Yea, it's the high water part that gets hard. House has been flooded twice in 6 years. I'm looking forward to this storm as much as a shot in the head. I will most likely cut power and ride it out, no shelters for this fella!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yea, it's the high water part that gets hard. House has been flooded twice in 6 years. I'm looking forward to this storm as much as a shot in the head. I will most likely cut power and ride it out, no shelters for this fella!

Best luck this weekend Dreg!

Dreghorn

Best luck this weekend Dreg!

Thanks Peter. The good thing is it looks like it will be passing at dead low tide. As long as it moves quick and pulls the water back out I may make it.

Best of luck to everyone in its path.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks Peter. The good thing is it looks like it will be passing at dead low tide. As long as it moves quick and pulls the water back out I may make it.

Best of luck to everyone in its path.

That's good news. This one may be interesting since we have other storms moving through inland, just before the eye gets to Va. There may be lots of water headed downhill.

Since the farm is safe, we're going to the coast or at least Tidewater, and video it coming in.

I'm tempted to set up on the Coleman bridge and video the Bay, Come to think of it, video of the storm surge coming out of the bay into the York at dead low tide, might be interesting.:uhoh:

I won't decide until early Saturday because it's sill wobbling. The track shifted further East a little while go.

When Gaston hit, I took my Kayak out in the James and got water level video but I'm getting too old to fight the wind like that.

t33j

I'm tempted to set up on the Coleman bridge and video the Bay, Come to think of it, video of the storm surge coming out of the bay into the York at dead low tide, might be interesting.:uhoh:
Suit yourself! If it's anything more than a category 1 when it hits we'll likely be leaving. I was planning on going to the mountains this weekend anyway...
Ammo and guns at my place if you need 'em :)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Suit yourself! If it's anything more than a category 1 when it hits we'll likely be leaving. I was planning on going to the mountains this weekend anyway...
Ammo and guns at my place if you need 'em :)

Thanks TJ but I'll have a few with me. One of the few times I take that plastic thing out. I think you can count on a strong Cat 2.

Your area doesn't worry me much except getting over Queens Creek. I hate the beach during these because I'm afraid they'll shut down the tunnel. I called a little while ago to see if the Tangier boat was going tomorrow or Saturday and they aren't, so I can't even go there and ride it out for a few days. Just as well I guess. I couldn't take Jane and Zeus there.

My boat is out of the water and I think I'll keep it that way for a while.:lol:

I'm getting the cameras ready now. I have a dive case for the Sony and dive cases for all three GoPro's plus a waterproof Olympus..

They've made some changes in Yorktown. It'll be interesting to see how they work. I remember all the floorboards from the museum floating toward the Parkway during Isabel

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It looks like Middlesex may open some shelters on their own. These wouldn't be Red Cross run or Private.
Among other things, preemption would prevent their restricting weapons.

kenny

It looks like Middlesex may open some shelters on their own. These wouldn't be Red Cross run or Private.
Among other things, preemption would prevent their restricting weapons.
The county may open them but the Red Cross will run them. That is how the county will recover the money they spend. No county has the money or logistic support to open and run shelters on their own.

That is not to say a church or community center won't open as a shelter. If they do and the county is involved, it will be a Red Cross shelter. The Red Cross has a preapproved list of all building in the Commonwealth that can be used for shelters. They had to do that because some genius open a shelter in a flood plain. You can guess how that went.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The county may open them but the Red Cross will run them. That is how the county will recover the money they spend. No county has the money or logistic support to open and run shelters on their own.

That is not to say a church or community center won't open as a shelter. If they do and the county is involved, it will be a Red Cross shelter. The Red Cross has a preapproved list of all building in the Commonwealth that can be used for shelters. They had to do that because some genius open a shelter in a flood plain. You can guess how that went.

That's not always true Kenny.
I know of two Methodist churches in Henrico that operate their own Shelters completely out of Church funds.
I doubt seriously the Mormons would let a Red Cross worker anywhere near one of their shelters.

Localities open Snow and heat shelters often that are not sanctioned by the Red Cross. I you have a Cite, post it.

Last edited:

grylnsmn

I doubt seriously the Mormons would let a Red Cross worker anywhere near one of their shelters.
Actually, that's not true.

The LDS Church has a long history of working with the Red Cross on various relief efforts, ranging from blood drives, to canning food, to direct disaster relief (such as Japan, the Tsunami, etc).

Cooperation is usually set up on a case-by-case basis, but in general we're willing to work with any other relief organization to get the help to where it's needed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll go with you on the Mormons. I just threw that in based on the extremely independent streak they have.
The Methodist Shelters I know about because I've worked with them on the budget.

Kenny states his case in his usual "They have to do it" way... and his rational is the same as All Firearm Instructors have to be NRA Certified. They don't BTW.

Maybe Kenny is right and I'd like to know the Cite.

grylnsmn

I'll go with you on the Mormons. I just threw that in based on the extremely independent streak they have.
Well, it is true that we are often providing supplies to the Red Cross for relief efforts.

However, most of our buildings aren't set up to become shelters anyways. Instead, we tend to use them as distribution points after a crisis to deliver and distribute supplies to people who need them.

Of course, we are also strongly counseled to maintain a year's supply on hand at home, so that we are prepared for disasters (natural, financial, and otherwise), thereby reducing our individual need to go to shelters. Depending on the individual's house, our shelters are our homes.