• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disaster and shelter OC

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Last night Emergency management was seriously looking at making 64 all west bound TJ. They're supposed to decide today and if they do it, they'll panic to get out. You might want to keep that in mind while making plans for the weekend.

I'm staying flexible about where I'm going. I don't want to deal with a lot of people or government. I may go to the Deltaville area. Just as long as I stay out of the Hurricane Holes (I want some dramatic footage) there are a lot of places that I can go and avoid the evacuation routes.

I'm still looking at a solid cat 2 when it hits Va. Still too early to figure the exact path though. It moves East a little then West but I think York will be an unpleasant place for the weekend.

It looks like the eye will run right over Tangier....sure is tempting:uhoh:

t33j

Last night Emergency management was seriously looking at making 64 all west bound TJ. They're supposed to decide today and if they do it, they'll panic to get out. You might want to keep that in mind while making plans for the weekend.

I'm staying flexible about where I'm going. I don't want to deal with a lot of people or government. I may go to the Deltaville area. Just as long as I stay out of the Hurricane Holes (I want some dramatic footage) there are a lot of places that I can go and avoid the evacuation routes.

I'm still looking at a solid cat 2 when it hits Va. Still too early to figure the exact path though. It moves East a little then West but I think York will be an unpleasant place for the weekend.

It looks like the eye will run right over Tangier....sure is tempting:uhoh:

Fortunately I no longer live in Norfolk. I was just remarking on the fact that ALL the shelters are GFZs.

Haha Tangier sounds like the place you wanna be. I think we've decided to stay. I would've liked to leave but the family doesn't really want to. We've got food, lots of water, and a generator. Really the concern is about trees falling on our house. We live in a neighborhood called Lakewood... Lots of pines that like to snap 'round here.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Fortunately I no longer live in Norfolk. I was just remarking on the fact that ALL the shelters are GFZs.

Haha Tangier sounds like the place you wanna be. I think we've decided to stay. I would've like to leave but the family doesn't really want to. We've got food, lots of water, and a generator. Really the concern is about trees falling on our house. We live in a neighborhood called Lakewood... Lots of pines that like to snap 'round here.

I'm PM'ing my cell # in case you need something. I doubt it will be that bad but if it decides to turn, it could cause a lot of problems there. During Isabel I had to shuttle some things that were available further west, into Charles City and New Kent.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
If you keep your weapons ....

In a locked container then you should be good to go no problems with OC'ing in an emergency crisis zone.... You are able to protect yourselves as H.R. 5013, the “Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act,” was introduced in the House by Congressman Bobby Jindal (LA - 1) and passed the House on July 25, 2006 with a broad bi-partisan margin of 322-99. Senator David Vitter (R-La) introduced the Senate version of the bill and added it as an Amendment to Homeland Security Appropriations, which passed the United States Senate by 84-16, the largest margin of victory for a NRA-backed measure. On October 9, 2006, President George W. Bush signed this legislation into law.

All be safe out there and keep your powder dry

kenny

I'll go with you on the Mormons. I just threw that in based on the extremely independent streak they have.
The Methodist Shelters I know about because I've worked with them on the budget.

Kenny states his case in his usual "They have to do it" way... and his rational is the same as All Firearm Instructors have to be NRA Certified. They don't BTW.

Maybe Kenny is right and I'd like to know the Cite.

http://www.vaemergency.gov/sites/default/files/VA_Emergency_Services_08_Edition.pdf

Additionally there are hundreds of Memorandums of Understand between the Red Cross and other agency's including most religious organizations. I suspect the "shelters" you refer to are not government sponsored or affiliated. Each locality is different and I suggest you contact them for further clarification. Ask for the Emergency Manager as that is where the buck stops. Peter Nap I know I am right and you too will one day. Specifically there will never be firearms allowed in shelters by the residents. It just ain't gonna happen.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://www.vaemergency.gov/sites/default/files/VA_Emergency_Services_08_Edition.pdf

Additionally there are hundreds of Memorandums of Understand between the Red Cross and other agency's including most religious organizations. I suspect the "shelters" you refer to are not government sponsored or affiliated. Each locality is different and I suggest you contact them for further clarification. Ask for the Emergency Manager as that is where the buck stops. Peter Nap I know I am right and you too will one day. Specifically there will never be firearms allowed in shelters by the residents. It just ain't gonna happen.

Kenny, you haven't posted a cite yet, just some Government BS, not law or mandatory compliance.
Nowhere in those regs do they require private shelters to be government or Red Cross sanctioned.
Either prove your case or go back to the Richmond Glee Club. You have to be on the management level of the City! None of the working people can be so short sighted and narrow minded.

Last edited:

vt357

Speaking of emergency shelters and evacuations, Bloomberg has ordered an evacuation of the low lying areas of NY.

Nearly 100 shelters were set to open as the city faced its first hurricane warning since 1985 when Hurricane Gloria hit Long Island as a Category 2 storm with winds gusts of up to 100 mph. Irene is expected to be a Category 1, with winds of at least 74 mph, when it hits New York.

The mayor warned residents not to be fooled by the sunny weather Friday and said police officers would use the loudspeakers on their patrol vehicles to spread the word about the evacuation.

"We do not have the manpower to go door-to-door and drag people out of their homes," he said. "Nobody's going to get fined. Nobody's going to go to jail. But if you don't follow this, people might die."

So I guess if he did have the manpower he would...

kenny

Kenny, you haven't posted a cite yet, just some Government BS, not law or mandatory compliance.
Nowhere in those regs do they require private shelters to be government or Red Cross sanctioned.
Either prove your case or go back to the Richmond Glee Club. You have to be on the management level of the City! None of the working people can be so short sighted and narrow minded.

Not everything needs a quote or a cite. Go to a shelter and see what happens.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Great answer Kenny. Like I said....Gotta be Richmond Management.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Made it through the storm fairly well. Had a few leaks and power was out about 17 hours. Haven't been out to check around town but neighborhood not bad. Hope everyone else made out alright.

Dreghorn

Made it through much better than expected. Only 5-6 inches of water in sunken living room, 3 feet in garage, and one tree down. Just a few more inches of tide and it would have been all through the house again. Never lost power.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just got internet back and power. Phones are still not working.
I stayed just ahead of the storm all the way home, then videoed it here after it caught up. Lots of down trees, Lots of power outages, Richmond as usual, was a mess, but I didn't spend much time there.

Most of Hanover and East Henrico was out of power.

While I was on the coast the combination of the rain earlier in the week and high tide with the storm surge pushed the rivers up fast. I went from knee deep to chest deep in ten minutes in the Rappahannock.

Tomorrow I have a ride to Tangier to video the damage there. Supposedly there isn't much other than flooding.