• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

EARTHQUAKE - Everybody OK?

Riana

I was driving home from a quick shopping trip - being in the car, I didn't feel it. My son was home alone, and called me as soon as he figured out the sounds were not people knocking on the door or the washer spinning off-balance. No apparent damage, and my son calmed right down after a couple of popsicles.

t33j

Last edited:

PaulX608

Our house shook for almost 45 seconds here in Manassas. Couple things fell off of an antique shelf and paintings are crooked. Not too bad. Lived in SoCal, NorCal, and Alaska in my life, so I knew what it was and just had fun! My daughter and I are still smiling!

45acpForMe

Dagnabbit I didn't feel a thing! I was in the car. My daughter at home freaked out a bit though.

A co-worker in NC emailed everyone first saying his house was shaking.

My cellphone couldn't connect to even voicemail. I tried to use my house phone and even that came back busy. So when the SHTF for real my kids will be going through withdrawl symptoms not being able to text or watch tv!!!!

ETA: I lived through the 1989 World Series quake in CA and the worst part for me wasn't the actual quake but the 5000 aftershocks that would wake you up.

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
All is good on the Eastern Shore. Office started shaking a little no big deal. My son works for Mr. Muffler in So. Md., he said the pipes started falling off the walls and the concrete apron for the shop separated from the garage floor about 1/8 inch.

sidestreet

That there weren't no earthquake...,

I 'spect some feller named Nap was speeramintin' with a new "Blammy", come from Alabamy, with a banjo on his knee! He's a real rock'n roller from way back, dontcha know!

Yeah, I thought it was the washer machine with a lopsided load on the spin too..., for a few seconds. All okay now, hope everyone else can say the same.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Badger Johnson

Would you believe we were taking a...er, nap and my gf turned to me and said 'Oh Badger you just made the Earth move!!!'.

No? Would you believe we both ran outside and fired a full clip, er mag into the ground and the Earth surrendered?

But, seriously? We were on the road to Wakefield where George Washington was born and didn't notice a thing.

My neighbor (Spotsylvania) said her daughter called and said it knocked some crystal figurines off the shelf in her china closet and broke them. We had one picture about 3mm off plum, no other effects. Um, hear tell the siding creaked. No cracks in the ceiling.

My partner's buddy in San Francisco texted her 'you just left San Fran (Golden Gate park) and went to Va and you had an Earthquake, lol'.

ocholsteroc

I was in the bathroom getting ready to go out to stock up for the weekend, and my bathroom was shaking, things wanted to fall over. Phone kept ringing people wanted to be sure it was a earthquake.

We had bigger before in Japan, but here thats very unusual

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
One of our Virginia-based members had her chimney fall into her kitchen; water heater exploded; and foundation shifted a couple of inches.

It never hurts to see if your homeowners insurance covers earthquakes (usually only a few dollars more per year); hers doesn't.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
One of our Virginia-based members had her chimney fall into her kitchen; water heater exploded; and foundation shifted a couple of inches.

It never hurts to see if your homeowners insurance covers earthquakes (usually only a few dollars more per year); hers doesn't.

How bad is the damage? Total loss or just a major mess?

Anything short of buying her a new place we can do to help short- or long-term?

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
How bad is the damage? Total loss or just a major mess?

Anything short of buying her a new place we can do to help short- or long-term?

stay safe.

I learned she has a place to stay. She was working on finding a home for the dogs. Other half is out of town; may need a place when he returns. I just don't have any details yet. See your email for a name.