Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying a first hand gun

buying a first hand gun

So, i have two hand guns that were passed down to me.
    a Walther p22 and an S&W 915.(witch i love them both, im just looking to get something that wasn't given to me by a family member)

but i want to get something on my own from the gun show comming in to town and im just not sure
    what would be the best deal for my money.

i'm looking for something that will last

i'm looking at ether a 380 or a 9mm any suggestions?

What purpose do you anticiapate this handgun to perform for you? Open carry, conceal carry, no carry, casual target shooting, competition shooting, never gonna shoot it?

All of those are factors you need to consider, as well as others (price, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by TTinsley1 View Post
    So, i have two hand guns that were passed down to me.
    a Walther p22 and an S&W 915.(witch i love them both, im just looking to get something that wasn't given to me by a family member)

but i want to get something on my own from the gun show comming in to town and im just not sure
    what would be the best deal for my money.

i'm looking for something that will last

i'm looking at ether a 380 or a 9mm any suggestions?
    Check out local gun ranges to see if they rent guns. Selecting a gun is like a woman picking out a new dress. What works for her won't for a different woman. :-)

Use the P22 to practice marksmanship, trigger pull, mag changes, etc. 22LR is cheap and unreliable enough to cause you to clear jams stovepipes etc (good real world experience).

Why are you selecting .380 or 9mm? They work well for smaller concealable guns (Sig P238 http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...tols-p238.aspx, kahr P380: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P380.asp as well as Ruger and Keltec's. A 9mm will be only slightly bigger and much better as far as capabilities than a .380 so for a primary self defense gun I would go with a Kahr PM9: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp

Have you ever shot a 45acp pistol? The recoil isn't worse than a 9mm just different. This is where renting a gun and shooting different models and calibers helps.

There are many, many models and options to choose from so shopping for one is part of the fun.

Hand size, recoil sensitivity, trigger pull, how it is carried (pocket holster, IWB, OWB), capacity all play into the decision and they are mostly personal to you so whatever YOU decide on will be right for you. Just give yourself as much info/experience as you can before making a decision.

If you do get a gun that you decide you don't like anymore you can sell it to fund a future purchase. Just like cars they can take a hit being used vs new but you can usually recoup most of your money.

ETA: gun shows are great to hold many types of firearms to see what you like. I like gunbroker.com for many purchases. Sometimes you can get a good deal at one or the other (show vs online) but if nothing else check gunbroker.com to see what the going prices are for a firearm.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 08-23-2011 at 04:37 PM.

decisions, decisions

I think the main factor is what you plan on doing with it holds true. If its a carry gun get something that feels good in your hand and can operate the safety and mag release easily. I have a Taurus PT111 Mil Pro 9mm and love it. I just cleaned the lint out of it and it breaks down and reassembles easily. I carry in a crossbreed holster when CC and love that also because it is very comfortable, otherwise OC is in a Fobus paddle and that works well also. the only other thing I might suggest is buy local if you can from a dealer in your community. I'm not a big fan of the gun show thing only because the the dealers are not usually local folks. Good luck and have fun on the hunt.

I also recommend trying out a .45 before you decide on caliber. I always recommend the Springfield XD/XDm line of pistols for first time buyers. Easy to use and very reliable.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

thank u all for ur reply's!

i would use it for OC when possible, im very very open mined to calibers.
    how ever i am not a big fan of revolvers.

No i have never shot a 45 before....and i don't know any one with one.

see the thing is i am 18 years old and lol and raised by women, i dont really have any one to go to to ask these questions so i really really appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I also recommend trying out a .45 before you decide on caliber. I always recommend the Springfield XD/XDm line of pistols for first time buyers. Easy to use and very reliable.

went to the gun shop to day and checked them out they are nice feeling!

An XDm-40 was my first handgun purchase and I love it. It can be a pain to conceal (or flat out impossible) depending on my shirt, but outside of that it's great. But I would recommend shooting any gun before buying it if you can. Personally I think my wife's Taurus TCP 380 has more kick than my XDm-40, but yet my wife can't stand the kick of the XDm and yet she has no problem with the 380.

Also be sure to shop around BEFORE and during the gunshow. The gun shows I've been to here in Oklahoma I've seen the cost of guns vary between booths and I've seen a lot of booths charging more than what I could get the gun for elsewhere. For example all of the MSAR AUGs I've seen at gun shows have been upwards of 3k, but yet I bought mine new for only 1.8k. Or used and dirty Taurus Millenium guns for $500+ when you can get them ~400+ (depending on caliber and what not) new.

i went and shot the Smith and Wesson XD 9 and 40

and absolutely loved it!

yeah thanks for the input!

and v never had a prob with my P22 but then again i dont put cheap rounds threw it because of the problem.
    i spend the extra dollar, and get what i pay for lols

i went and shot the Smith and Wesson XD 9 and 40

and absolutely loved it!

yeah thanks for the input!

and v never had a prob with my P22 but then again i dont put cheap rounds threw it because of the problem.
    i spend the extra dollar, and get what i pay for lols
    Do you mean Springfield XD or XDm? Or Smith & Wesson M&P ? Both are good guns that compete directly with Glock.

While those are all good guns they are harder to conceal because of size. If you go with a 9mm gun remember all those wonderful statistics on how a 9mm hollowpoint is just as good as a 45acp (hardball) that they are using +p ammo which will have more recoil and cost. Now if you go with a 45acp hollowpoint even better. 40S&W is a good round because it is larger than a 9mm with enough power (10mm wide but less powder than a true 10mm pistol) and since it is smaller than 45acp you can stack more in the magazine. I stuck with 45acp because it was used in WWII and my Dad's 1911. With additional features like hollow points (controled expansion) and +p ammo I think it is the best round. The only downsides of 45acp is the cost of ammo and the capacity in the magazines. I searched for good hi capacity 45acp guns and found a few (12+1 to 15+1) but they are larger pistols that are harder to conceal.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 08-24-2011 at 07:22 PM.

no i mean Smith and Wesson XD-9 and XD-40 its there new home defense guns

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    Do you mean Springfield XD or XDm? Or Smith & Wesson M&P ? Both are good guns that compete directly with Glock.
    why try to compete with a Glock? Just get a Glock
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

id rather not pay the glock price lol

all the local shops around here have them jacked wayyyyyy up!

like way more thn have been seeing online

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    Some people like the feel/handling of S&W or Springfields. Guns are like shoes. Each manufacturer's sizes and models are different and by trying them on/out you can decide for yourself which is best for you.

As far as S&W self defense line I think you mean SD not XD. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=247434438

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    Because a glock feels like crap in my hands?

I didn't like Glocks at first. But it was cheaper than the XDm and had a longer track record than the XDm so I went for it. I feel that it has grown on me. Now I love it. It is an aquired taste I guess... At first it feels like a square box in your hands....but then, it feels like love.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

i mean like is the Walther 22 a bad OC firearm?

like iv only done it once
    and no body said anything lols (meaning made fun of me) hahaha

well,,

i mean like is the Walther 22 a bad OC firearm?

like iv only done it once
    and no body said anything lols (meaning made fun of me) hahaha
    If you were OCing in Florida,,, You had better been fishing!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

when did it that one time i was in NC.

Reccommend 9mm over .380ACP

9MM is a more powerful cartridge but costs alot less. Regular feeding of a .380 costs about the same as my .45ACP. 9MM is plentiful and cheaper. Lots of good options. Check out the offerings from Bersa and CZ for well priced pistols with good performance records. Besides, once you shoot a .45ACP, you will want one. Better not to try one, LOL.

If you like the P22, why not just stick with Walther? Walther makes two other guns just like it-the PK380 and the P99, in .380 ACP and 9mm respectively. I own a P99 myself, which has the same ergonomics as the P22, but it's larger (plus the decocker button and a striker instead of a hammer). I can tell you that it's a very reliable and accurate weapon. After about 4 or 500 rounds through it I've had one FTE (the only failure it's ever had), and that was because I was shooting 30 year old ammo. It's still relatively easy to conceal with the right clothing (my fiancee usually doesn't notice until she hugs me), and I look forward to OCing with it.

I don't own a PK380, but I've heard they're very good guns as well (what Walther isn't, right!?). They're millimeters larger than the P22, with the same controls (except a slide stop, but I can't remember if the P22 has one either), and shoot .380, which is about as small a defense load as I'd ever carry. You can probably attest to how concealable a P22/PK380 is, but that brings me to one concern I'd have about the PK-holsters (not to mention other accessories-if that's something you're worried about). It's a pretty new gun and in my searches for a holster for my P99 I haven't seen that many for the PK380-but they do exist.

Another thing to consider though, is that if you're looking for a gun that's good for CC and OC, that narrows down your search considrably. Most guns smaller than a 9mm (like .380s or .32s for example) are made small specifically so that they can be carried concealed, so finding an OC holster for them will be a challenge. The PK380 is one of the larger .380s that I'm aware of, and could fulfill that role. I know there are some 1911 style compact .380s that you may be able to find holsters for, but those guns are designed for concealment.

This all seems to leave you with 9mm and .40 (unless you want to step up expense to .357 SIG, 5.7mm or .45 ACP). Most of the pistols made in these two calibers are at a size where they can be worn OC or CC. That leaves you with guns like the Walther P99, Glock 19, Springfield XD (in certain sizes-some XDs are huge), and Ruger SR9c (the full size SR9 is kinda big). There are many others, but most of them-H&Ks and Sigs-are pretty expensive, and I'm sure I've left some out. Also, all of those listed are available in .40 cal, but I hate .40 cal, which is just a personal preference.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    9MM is a more powerful cartridge but costs alot less. Regular feeding of a .380 costs about the same as my .45ACP. 9MM is plentiful and cheaper. Lots of good options. Check out the offerings from Bersa and CZ for well priced pistols with good performance records. Besides, once you shoot a .45ACP, you will want one. Better not to try one, LOL.
    I'm just curious but where are you buying your .380 ammo from? I'll have to double check next time I go on base, but I'm pretty sure that .380 on base is cheaper than 9mm, and when I did a search online I was able to find .380 for comparable prices to 9mm. So if wherever you go the cost of .380 is on par with .45 then you need to find a different place to buy ammo!

no i mean Smith and Wesson XD-9 and XD-40 its there new home defense guns
    Uhhh... I beg to differ. S&W does not make the XD line. Springfield Armory does. You may have shot a Springfield XD-40; it would have been chambered in .40S&W. Could that have led to your confusion? I assure you, S&W does not produce the XD line.

Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    Uhhh... I beg to differ. S&W does not make the XD line. Springfield Armory does. You may have shot a Springfield XD-40; it would have been chambered in .40S&W. Could that have led to your confusion? I assure you, S&W does not produce the XD line.
    This was addressed in post #14

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    I'm just curious but where are you buying your .380 ammo from? I'll have to double check next time I go on base, but I'm pretty sure that .380 on base is cheaper than 9mm, and when I did a search online I was able to find .380 for comparable prices to 9mm. So if wherever you go the cost of .380 is on par with .45 then you need to find a different place to buy ammo!
    Quoting myself to let people know this is what I'm talking about.

I just got back from the store and apparently the cost of ammo from their distributor has increased by ~12% on all ammo except for 9mm. So now .380 is indeed more expensive than 9mm, but it still isn't as high as .40 or .45. The clerk also said that it was cheaper than 9mm before, so the .380 that they sell saw closer to a 40%+ increase in price. Sad times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast