• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

buying a first hand gun

TTinsley1

So, i have two hand guns that were passed down to me.
a Walther p22 and an S&W 915.(witch i love them both, im just looking to get something that wasn't given to me by a family member)

but i want to get something on my own from the gun show comming in to town and im just not sure
what would be the best deal for my money.

i'm looking for something that will last

i'm looking at ether a 380 or a 9mm any suggestions?

Blk97F150

What purpose do you anticiapate this handgun to perform for you? Open carry, conceal carry, no carry, casual target shooting, competition shooting, never gonna shoot it?

All of those are factors you need to consider, as well as others (price, etc...).

45acpForMe

So, i have two hand guns that were passed down to me.
a Walther p22 and an S&W 915.(witch i love them both, im just looking to get something that wasn't given to me by a family member)

but i want to get something on my own from the gun show comming in to town and im just not sure
what would be the best deal for my money.

i'm looking for something that will last

i'm looking at ether a 380 or a 9mm any suggestions?

Check out local gun ranges to see if they rent guns. Selecting a gun is like a woman picking out a new dress. What works for her won't for a different woman. :)

Use the P22 to practice marksmanship, trigger pull, mag changes, etc. 22LR is cheap and unreliable enough to cause you to clear jams stovepipes etc (good real world experience).

Why are you selecting .380 or 9mm? They work well for smaller concealable guns (Sig P238 http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p238.aspx, kahr P380: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P380.asp as well as Ruger and Keltec's. A 9mm will be only slightly bigger and much better as far as capabilities than a .380 so for a primary self defense gun I would go with a Kahr PM9: http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp

Have you ever shot a 45acp pistol? The recoil isn't worse than a 9mm just different. This is where renting a gun and shooting different models and calibers helps.

There are many, many models and options to choose from so shopping for one is part of the fun.

Hand size, recoil sensitivity, trigger pull, how it is carried (pocket holster, IWB, OWB), capacity all play into the decision and they are mostly personal to you so whatever YOU decide on will be right for you. Just give yourself as much info/experience as you can before making a decision.

If you do get a gun that you decide you don't like anymore you can sell it to fund a future purchase. Just like cars they can take a hit being used vs new but you can usually recoup most of your money.

ETA: gun shows are great to hold many types of firearms to see what you like. I like gunbroker.com for many purchases. Sometimes you can get a good deal at one or the other (show vs online) but if nothing else check gunbroker.com to see what the going prices are for a firearm.

Last edited:

Ken56

decisions, decisions

I think the main factor is what you plan on doing with it holds true. If its a carry gun get something that feels good in your hand and can operate the safety and mag release easily. I have a Taurus PT111 Mil Pro 9mm and love it. I just cleaned the lint out of it and it breaks down and reassembles easily. I carry in a crossbreed holster when CC and love that also because it is very comfortable, otherwise OC is in a Fobus paddle and that works well also. the only other thing I might suggest is buy local if you can from a dealer in your community. I'm not a big fan of the gun show thing only because the the dealers are not usually local folks. Good luck and have fun on the hunt.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I also recommend trying out a .45 before you decide on caliber. I always recommend the Springfield XD/XDm line of pistols for first time buyers. Easy to use and very reliable.

TTinsley1

thank u all for ur reply's!

i would use it for OC when possible, im very very open mined to calibers.
how ever i am not a big fan of revolvers.

No i have never shot a 45 before....and i don't know any one with one.

see the thing is i am 18 years old and lol and raised by women, i dont really have any one to go to to ask these questions so i really really appreciate the input!

TTinsley1

I also recommend trying out a .45 before you decide on caliber. I always recommend the Springfield XD/XDm line of pistols for first time buyers. Easy to use and very reliable.

went to the gun shop to day and checked them out they are nice feeling!

Aknazer

An XDm-40 was my first handgun purchase and I love it. It can be a pain to conceal (or flat out impossible) depending on my shirt, but outside of that it's great. But I would recommend shooting any gun before buying it if you can. Personally I think my wife's Taurus TCP 380 has more kick than my XDm-40, but yet my wife can't stand the kick of the XDm and yet she has no problem with the 380.

Also be sure to shop around BEFORE and during the gunshow. The gun shows I've been to here in Oklahoma I've seen the cost of guns vary between booths and I've seen a lot of booths charging more than what I could get the gun for elsewhere. For example all of the MSAR AUGs I've seen at gun shows have been upwards of 3k, but yet I bought mine new for only 1.8k. Or used and dirty Taurus Millenium guns for $500+ when you can get them ~400+ (depending on caliber and what not) new.

TTinsley1

i went and shot the Smith and Wesson XD 9 and 40

and absolutely loved it!

yeah thanks for the input!

and v never had a prob with my P22 but then again i dont put cheap rounds threw it because of the problem.
i spend the extra dollar, and get what i pay for lols

45acpForMe

i went and shot the Smith and Wesson XD 9 and 40

and absolutely loved it!

yeah thanks for the input!

and v never had a prob with my P22 but then again i dont put cheap rounds threw it because of the problem.
i spend the extra dollar, and get what i pay for lols

:question: Do you mean Springfield XD or XDm? Or Smith & Wesson M&P ? Both are good guns that compete directly with Glock.

While those are all good guns they are harder to conceal because of size. If you go with a 9mm gun remember all those wonderful statistics on how a 9mm hollowpoint is just as good as a 45acp (hardball) that they are using +p ammo which will have more recoil and cost. Now if you go with a 45acp hollowpoint even better. 40S&W is a good round because it is larger than a 9mm with enough power (10mm wide but less powder than a true 10mm pistol) and since it is smaller than 45acp you can stack more in the magazine. I stuck with 45acp because it was used in WWII and my Dad's 1911. With additional features like hollow points (controled expansion) and +p ammo I think it is the best round. The only downsides of 45acp is the cost of ammo and the capacity in the magazines. I searched for good hi capacity 45acp guns and found a few (12+1 to 15+1) but they are larger pistols that are harder to conceal.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

TTinsley1

id rather not pay the glock price lol

all the local shops around here have them jacked wayyyyyy up!

like way more thn have been seeing online

45acpForMe

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I didn't like Glocks at first. But it was cheaper than the XDm and had a longer track record than the XDm so I went for it. I feel that it has grown on me. Now I love it. It is an aquired taste I guess... At first it feels like a square box in your hands....but then, it feels like love. :)

TTinsley1

i mean like is the Walther 22 a bad OC firearm?

like iv only done it once
and no body said anything lols (meaning made fun of me) hahaha

The Wolfhound

Reccommend 9mm over .380ACP

9MM is a more powerful cartridge but costs alot less. Regular feeding of a .380 costs about the same as my .45ACP. 9MM is plentiful and cheaper. Lots of good options. Check out the offerings from Bersa and CZ for well priced pistols with good performance records. Besides, once you shoot a .45ACP, you will want one. Better not to try one, LOL.