• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

buying a first hand gun

SovereignAxe

If you like the P22, why not just stick with Walther? Walther makes two other guns just like it-the PK380 and the P99, in .380 ACP and 9mm respectively. I own a P99 myself, which has the same ergonomics as the P22, but it's larger (plus the decocker button and a striker instead of a hammer). I can tell you that it's a very reliable and accurate weapon. After about 4 or 500 rounds through it I've had one FTE (the only failure it's ever had), and that was because I was shooting 30 year old ammo. It's still relatively easy to conceal with the right clothing (my fiancee usually doesn't notice until she hugs me), and I look forward to OCing with it.

I don't own a PK380, but I've heard they're very good guns as well (what Walther isn't, right!?). They're millimeters larger than the P22, with the same controls (except a slide stop, but I can't remember if the P22 has one either), and shoot .380, which is about as small a defense load as I'd ever carry. You can probably attest to how concealable a P22/PK380 is, but that brings me to one concern I'd have about the PK-holsters (not to mention other accessories-if that's something you're worried about). It's a pretty new gun and in my searches for a holster for my P99 I haven't seen that many for the PK380-but they do exist.

Another thing to consider though, is that if you're looking for a gun that's good for CC and OC, that narrows down your search considrably. Most guns smaller than a 9mm (like .380s or .32s for example) are made small specifically so that they can be carried concealed, so finding an OC holster for them will be a challenge. The PK380 is one of the larger .380s that I'm aware of, and could fulfill that role. I know there are some 1911 style compact .380s that you may be able to find holsters for, but those guns are designed for concealment.

This all seems to leave you with 9mm and .40 (unless you want to step up expense to .357 SIG, 5.7mm or .45 ACP). Most of the pistols made in these two calibers are at a size where they can be worn OC or CC. That leaves you with guns like the Walther P99, Glock 19, Springfield XD (in certain sizes-some XDs are huge), and Ruger SR9c (the full size SR9 is kinda big). There are many others, but most of them-H&Ks and Sigs-are pretty expensive, and I'm sure I've left some out. Also, all of those listed are available in .40 cal, but I hate .40 cal, which is just a personal preference.

Aknazer

9MM is a more powerful cartridge but costs alot less. Regular feeding of a .380 costs about the same as my .45ACP. 9MM is plentiful and cheaper. Lots of good options. Check out the offerings from Bersa and CZ for well priced pistols with good performance records. Besides, once you shoot a .45ACP, you will want one. Better not to try one, LOL.

I'm just curious but where are you buying your .380 ammo from? I'll have to double check next time I go on base, but I'm pretty sure that .380 on base is cheaper than 9mm, and when I did a search online I was able to find .380 for comparable prices to 9mm. So if wherever you go the cost of .380 is on par with .45 then you need to find a different place to buy ammo!

cbpeck

no i mean Smith and Wesson XD-9 and XD-40 its there new home defense guns

Uhhh... I beg to differ. S&W does not make the XD line. Springfield Armory does. You may have shot a Springfield XD-40; it would have been chambered in .40S&W. Could that have led to your confusion? I assure you, S&W does not produce the XD line.

Aknazer

Uhhh... I beg to differ. S&W does not make the XD line. Springfield Armory does. You may have shot a Springfield XD-40; it would have been chambered in .40S&W. Could that have led to your confusion? I assure you, S&W does not produce the XD line.

This was addressed in post #14 ;)

Aknazer

I'm just curious but where are you buying your .380 ammo from? I'll have to double check next time I go on base, but I'm pretty sure that .380 on base is cheaper than 9mm, and when I did a search online I was able to find .380 for comparable prices to 9mm. So if wherever you go the cost of .380 is on par with .45 then you need to find a different place to buy ammo!

Quoting myself to let people know this is what I'm talking about.

I just got back from the store and apparently the cost of ammo from their distributor has increased by ~12% on all ammo except for 9mm. So now .380 is indeed more expensive than 9mm, but it still isn't as high as .40 or .45. The clerk also said that it was cheaper than 9mm before, so the .380 that they sell saw closer to a 40%+ increase in price. Sad times :(

SovereignAxe

Quoting myself to let people know this is what I'm talking about.

I just got back from the store and apparently the cost of ammo from their distributor has increased by ~12% on all ammo except for 9mm. So now .380 is indeed more expensive than 9mm, but it still isn't as high as .40 or .45. The clerk also said that it was cheaper than 9mm before, so the .380 that they sell saw closer to a 40%+ increase in price. Sad times :(

If I had to guess I'd say there's probably been close to a 40% increase in demand for .380. Pocket pistols have exploded in popularity and the vast majority of them shoot .380 ACP.

MilProGuy

Here's the pistol I conceal carry every day, and highly recommend to you:

A Taurus PT740 Slim .40 S&W.

It is lightweight, slim (about the thickness of a boxed set of playing cards), 100% reliable, affordable, and comes with the Taurus Lifetime Warranty on the handgun.

The recoil is a bit snappy, but Taurus also makes the same pistol in 9mm (PT709 Slim).

740slim.jpg

MilProGuy

I will also highly recommend the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380, which comes with a built-in laser.

It is extremely compact, reliable, lightweight, and easily conceals in a pocket holster. I carry mine in my hip pocket.

smithwessonbodyguard380.jpg
smithwessonbg380.jpg

Last edited: