• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in a police station in medford oregon

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I want to email that police department and apologize on behalf of the open carry movement.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate and personal attack

internet-seriousbusiness.jpg

Last edited:

Teddybearfrmhell

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate and personal attack

wow, off your meds much?

i have followed your every thread because i feel your "extreme activism" is actually idiocy run rampant.... if you open carry in the parks the same way you open carried in the police station i got no problems at all with the way you are treated. i didnt see any harassment in the videos but then again i didnt see anything of value either. you do yourself a disservice with these rambling diatribes.

as for your cousin, you brought him into it when you asked him to video and audio the encounter. perhaps a little more direction about shutting up and keeping the camera on the important events.

as for dealing with you, i aint scared of crazy even if it has a gun. an internet threat from you is about as terrifying as a ladybug bite. you seem to forget that your face and name have now been on youtube AND your cousins name , address and uncles cell number have aslo been broadcast, so threatening people online is just adding dumb on top of dumb

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Forum rules:

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Forum rules:

(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer, in the military, etc). NOTE THAT THIS RULE APPLIES TO PMs AS WELL AS FORUM POSTS!!

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

Bigtoe!! You weren't suppose to read that post! See!?
Other then Shlitz and teddybearfrmhell please refrain from reading this Hardcore language.

This is for Shlitz and teddybearfrmhell...

Last edited:

We-the-People

Okay people, let's be grown ups.....ALL of us.

Warren is NOT the only one hassled by MPD recently (I just found this out tonight). Another OC'er has been unlawfully "handled" twice since June.

Warren, this CONSTRUCTIVE ANALYSIS........I do not particularly like your method BUT you have every damn right to do it, it is LEGAL. What I've seen shows me that you need a better MO on audio/video as you ended up in that little room with the cameraman sent "two benches down". But YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AND YOU ARE LEGAL. You need a bit more confidence too but that will come....and you WERE LEGAL! I also wouldn't have talked to them at all....you chose to, I'd recommend not other than to demand what they are detaining/arresting you for.

Everyone else, rather than jumping on someone who OBVIOUSLY (since he wasn't arrested) was legal I think the adult thing to do is ask ourselves......if I lawfully carry into the MPD (or anywhere else) am I going to get that kind of treatment? We don't know that his announcing he had the firearm was the impetus, you do need a CHL in the "public building" and he announced that to the first officer....that he had a CHL. Number two comes out and immediately violates his rights......however it obviously wasn't a dangerous situation to them as A LONG TIME PASSED between officer one going through that door and someone coming out and detaining Warren........be kind of hard to state they had a dangerous situation on their hands when they left an armed individual in an open public hallway for HOW LONG before they came out and violated his rights? FAIL ON THE PD.....NOT on the OC'er no matter how much you may disagree with his tactics.

He has also been repeatedly hassled at Hawthorne Park....now I personally wouldn't have chosen that park but then I live on the other end of the valley. HOWEVER, ....where in the HELL does an MPD officer get off telling Warren he shouldn't be carrying a weapon in a park because it's a dangerous park????? WTF better reason to carry is there? Should he go use another park so the criminals can have their park? NO NO NO I may very well start going to Hawthorne park to see what the big deal is and I guarantee you I'll be carrying sterile and running A/V when I do.

The MPD and City Hall (all council members, city attorney, etc) need to be written for an explanation. It doesn't matter if they don't like him doing it or any of us don't like the things he said, or anything. A law abiding citizen was unlawfully detained.

Those that are local, to Medford, are we going to allow this to go uncontested? Or are we going to get the facts and then pursue the issue? If they get away with it this time with no complaints except the individual aggrieved don't you think they might do it again.....and again.....and again???? Remember, while it's been pretty calm around here, we did have the David Pyles incident, then the incident in June which I just heard of, and now several incidents in one week.

Is this site OPEN CARRY DOT COM or not?

Deepdiver36

Warren,

Let me start by saying this was a good idea to video tape this encounter. You have been harassed and this supports your claim. Let me also add, constructively, that some basic mistakes were made that changed the face of this video to appear you were baiting the officers.

I say this because of the very first thing you pointed out to the officer was your sidearm. If you were going about your business and they noticed, it hold more credibility that they are anti 2a. In your defense, that does not justify your detainment.

Second observation, while your cousin had the best of intentions, his camera work was difficult. A little practice will help the him understand zooming, talking and excessive panning make for a hard to follow video. Additionally, edit out his personal information as an ID theft is already working his information.

Most importantly, police encounters 101 teaches up to refrain from talking when detained. It was your choice to talk but keep in mind that officers are their to articulate your intent of actions and will use anything you say against you. Along the same lines, your cousin should have said nothing but the required video/audio notice to anyone and never provided any personal information.

I commend you for what you did and you can see you were nervous, I would be as well. Take my observations for what they are, internet forum advice. I must point out if you are not ready to accept criticism on this forum, I would refrain from posting your video. To call people names and use foul language was not acceptable.

I support you in your cause and commend you for trying to educate your local LEO's on the law. Hopefully, a training memo will come out soon on how to address lawful carry. The officers were obviously looking up the laws while you were waiting and could have called the city attorny to seek his/her advice prior to detainment. You might just have a civil case against them.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Warren Drouin

To all except Tebbybearfrmhell and Shiltz. I apologize for my offensive behavior and I know better not to do it, even if though 2 were hassling me all the time. I hope that all won't judge me on what I type, but what the actions I am trying to do. This is an Open Carry site and I understand the rules. Only handgun reports and no offensive behavior.

I am still quite new and very nervous to these encounter. All I want to do is post my experience to this site for the benefits of you, knowing what I did and how to do it better. To let you all know, I understand that what I am doing all the time may not be so agreeable to other. I only ask not to be insulted for my action and whatever I failed in, I try to exceed. Like I typed in the other post, I am a Extreme Gun Right Person and I will carry and keep my rights with me at all the time. Also at the police station, I thought it would be a better encounter if I had informed one officer that I was carry my firearm and had my license to do so in the public building. Yet, I guess I was quite wrong, because after the first video ( I had to turn the camera off for saving the battery) there was a gap between 1 an 2. Between those encounter, I was sitting on the bench and on my right Officer Garr came out from the door and looked straight at me. Then officer Garr without saying anything went straight pass me to the door and was looking at the sign and (I believe) for any other people with firearms. Then went straight to me and told me to stand up and I told the officer he only has the right to examine the firearm and check my license. Still he ignored me and grab my arm and twist it back which I thought he was only going to check my firearm. I told I did not consent searches and seizure. Then he grab my other arm and then I knew what was happening. Then the video begin and my cousin informed him that he is being audio and video recording. I hope that clear some things up.

Currently, I might have a case. Yet, I am still waiting for the phone to ring, but if you know any civil right lawyers that would be the best in the area. I would be much appreciate if you would type it to me.

Teddybearfrmhell

i dont really care if you include me in the apology or not.... if you post , i will respond.... if you think i will jump on the bandwagon because this is opencarry, not gonna happen..... i call it like i see it.

you have posted about unrelenting police harassment while you carry at Hawthorne park and yet always your details are sparse and jumbled

when you finally have a chance to SHOW how you are being harassed you dont actually show anything.... again, assertions are not proof and assumptions do nothing.

you take criticism like a petulant child.... grow up... when you finally do post something worth defending, i will be there to do so.

We-the-People

I think he did. When the officer locks him up and says "you can't carry it in here" the officer is wrong. Was Warren smooth and perfect....nope....was he a little "in your face"....yup.....but that's legal and the cops didn't even know the law that they had cufffed him for as it's obvious they're looking them up.....and going to "Call the sheriff".

ManInBlack

I think he did. When the officer locks him up and says "you can't carry it in here" the officer is wrong. Was Warren smooth and perfect....nope....was he a little "in your face"....yup.....but that's legal and the cops didn't even know the law that they had cufffed him for as it's obvious they're looking them up.....and going to "Call the sheriff".

I tend to agree with this point of view. Did the OP do things as I would have done them? No, but hey, guess what? His manner of exercise of inalienable rights, in total compliance with what the state is pleased to call "the law," is not for me to judge. When the cops arrested him, they were morally wrong, constitutionally wrong, and they were breaking "the law!" The bottom line is that no matter how imprudent we may think another's actions, unless he is actively damaging life, liberty or property, or I suppose, breaking "the law," he should not come into contact with the state's armed enforcers.

Teddybearfrmhell

i see your point gentlemen but as we have no video or audio leading up to his "cuff and stuff" we do not KNOW what was said or done, all we can do is assume.

did he ever file his harassment complaint as was his stated reason for being at city hall to begin with? and he is now "waiting for the phone to ring" about his "civil rights case" it occurs to me that this might just be about a payday and not about educating about opencarry...

just my opinion

Teddybearfrmhell

this is a copy of the letter i just sent to the city attorney of medford....

Dear Sir,

I have just watched a couple of videos on youtube posted by a youngman who came to city hall to file a harassment complaint. He was detained because he was carrying a firearm openly on public property. He claimed that he had a valid concealed weapon license.

My question is does 166.370 3d apply here?

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in
public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging
firearm at school.
(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or
unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous
weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon
conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of
this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon
conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally
possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the
firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility
may be required to surrender the weapon to a law
enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the
court facility. A person who fails to comply with this
subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter
an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a
court facility.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) Omitted
(b) Omitted
(c) Omitted
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and
166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(e) Omitted

Is it illegal to open carry in city hall with a valid oregon concealed weapon license?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

(name omitted)

i will post any (if any) replies here

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Some people don't take easy to criticism. Look:

You walk into a police station visibly upset over something
you are armed
you have someone following you with a camera (nothing wrong here, might weird some people out who don't understand, again you were within your rights i know)

The first thing you do is a find the first cop you see, you don't go to a front desk or anything.
you didn't even say "excuse me, who should I speak to for filing a complaint." You hopped up into the face of someone who appeared busy and immediately pointed out that you are armed and upset toward the police and you want to press charges
Then you go into the hallway and say something along the lines of "whats gotta be done has to be done" (something like that could be taken the WRONG way by the cops who you are upset with)
Ontop of this you and your cousin start talking about silly random things, just kind of made you appear to be out there. (not that this is illegal, but may cause concern for the cops, maybe not)

BOOM Video cuts out and all we see is you in hand cuffs and we get to listen to everything which was awesome - sike, your cousin whispered about childish things through all the important parts.

Warren, you seem to know the laws well. Good on you. I'm glad to have one more supporter of the open carry movement, however I'm not sure you belong on the front lines of this movement. At least not on your own. (No, your cousin DOES NOT COUNT)

Warren Drouin

Also once license under ORS 166.291 and
166.292 to carry a concealed handgun. I can legally carry any firearm open or concealed in any public building. It did not say it need to be concealed, just that you have to be license under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry concealed Handgun. which I am. ^_^