Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 106

Thread: List your OC/CC expierence here.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    List your OC/CC expierence here.

    Ill go first!


    Tonight I open carried through the ped mall in Iowa City, stopping to get some pictures of the oversized books in the walking area. After my appointment at Nemesis Tattoo, I drove to Arbys at riverside and highway 1. Went in, ordered, and ate. When I was done eating, I walked over to Fin and Feather to do some shopping.

    All without issue.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    284
    Various stores, gas stations, going for a walk, etc. Zero "experiences" of any kind, occasional short stares.

    I think the media did us a favor by spazzing out and hyper-publicizing the new carry law over the last year. Hardly anyone hasn't at least heard about it.



    I'd like to mention to you that the IC ped mall is surrounded by property that is technically part of the university. You are probably aware of the confusing and indeterminate state of the interpretation of Iowa's law about weapons on public and private post-secondary school property -- just be aware of that.
    Last edited by amaixner; 08-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member GuidoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Skagit County, WA
    Posts
    196
    I really miss Iowa City. Spent over 20 years of my life there! Loving WA state though...

    --
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    758
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

  5. #5
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Camping!!

    Went camping this weekend at Beeds Lake State Park.

    OC'd in and around Hampton. Also while at the campground and surrounding areas. No issues.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Iowa City

    Friday night I OC'd in Washington while my wife ran a 5K. Walked around town. Chatted with others who were also waiting for the participants. I had an interesting conversation with a younger man, probably early 20's, about open carry. I wish I could post the audio from it, but lo and behold, my microphone decided to stop working on my recorder so Ive got nothing but static. Time to get a new one.


    OC'd around downtown Iowa city for a few hours last night. Went to the ped mall again and had dinner with the wife.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    OC'd at Walmart, ACO hardware, and Caseys in Washington last night. No issues.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Kalona Family restaurant, Target in Coralville. Mcdonalds in Iowa city. All without incedent.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    im suprised you dont have issues in iowa city
    Well, I believe we have the media to thank for all the hype that Shall Issue would bring. And, as predicted by the pro gun community, its been almost a year and there has been no "blood in the streets" or "wild west" shootouts, as predicted by the anti crowd.

    I will be making it more of a point to OC in Iowa City. As that is one of the hotbeds of anti gun crowd, starting with the Mayor and City Council.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    creston
    Posts
    23

    oc in creston

    I went to Farway and wal-mart in Creston, Iowa Got a lot of stares in Fareway and had three people (including 2 employees) make comments as to the legallity of open carry in Wal-mart. I tried to educate but two people in wal-mart wouldn't have anything to do with listening to what I had to say. Well I tried I guess. Will keep open carying!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by opencarryjoel View Post
    I went to Farway and wal-mart in Creston, Iowa Got a lot of stares in Fareway and had three people (including 2 employees) make comments as to the legallity of open carry in Wal-mart. I tried to educate but two people in wal-mart wouldn't have anything to do with listening to what I had to say. Well I tried I guess. Will keep open carying!!
    Great job!

    I OC in walmart in Iowa City and Washington all the time. Have had no issues to date. Just remember, walmarts policy is whatever is allowed by state law.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    creston
    Posts
    23

    open carry in des moines

    Last Saturday the 3rd of dec, I went to Best Buy and pet smart with no issues. Then I went to Stivers ford and looked at some pick-ups and the salesman came out, stood around, making it oh so obvious as he stared at my side arm and asked me three times throughout our conversation if I was a police officer to which of course I said nope just and average citizen that is excercising my right to protect myself. I got done looking and asked for a business card and he said "I didn't bring and out with me, I'll go get you one. (like salesman never carry business cards) He went in and five minutes later the sales manager came back out. Guess I made the little guy nervous. We talked a bit and I left. Went into Mcdonalds on Jordan Creek Parkway, no isues. All in all a good day.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Good OC weekend

    Went to Target, Noodles and Company, Hobby Lobby in Coralville. Walmart in Iowa City. After parking to go and get some touch up work done at my favorite tattoo shop, I was stopped by an Iowa City LEO. He asked all sorts of questions about where I was going, how long I was going to be there, and where I was coming from. All questions were met with a respectful exercise of my right to remain silent. He then asked for my ID, to which I asked him what he needed to see it for. He stated he needed to see it because I was carrying a gun. "Oh, THAT I.D." I proceeded to show him my permit to carry. He said that wasnt what he was talking about but it would do. "Have a nice night!", was the last thing he said as he walked away.

    P.S.
    For the other members who are looking for a great, firearm friendly tattoo shop, head over to Nemesis Tattoo in Iowa City!
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 12-12-2011 at 07:16 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Went to Target, Noodles and Company, Hobby Lobby in Coralville. Walmart in Iowa City. After parking to go and get some touch up work done at my favorite tattoo shop, I was stopped by an Iowa City LEO. He asked all sorts of questions about where I was going, how long I was going to be there, and where I was coming from. All questions were met with a respectful exercise of my right to remain silent. He then asked for my ID, to which I asked him what he needed to see it for. He stated he needed to see it because I was carrying a gun. "Oh, THAT I.D." I proceeded to show him my permit to carry. He said that wasnt what he was talking about but it would do. "Have a nice night!", was the last thing he said as he walked away.

    P.S.
    For the other members who are looking for a great, firearm friendly tattoo shop, head over to Nemesis Tattoo in Iowa City!
    Always nice to see the Iowa City boys "going above and beyond" their duties and responsibilities by asking prying and extraneous questions when all they really had the power to do is ask to see a permit.

    You might want to file a complaint if you feel that you were treated inappropriately due to exercising your legal rights.

    Edited to add: Not because it was an awful encounter, but to proactively prevent "scope creep" from happening.
    Last edited by amaixner; 12-13-2011 at 08:32 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    Always nice to see the Iowa City boys "going above and beyond" their duties and responsibilities by asking prying and extraneous questions when all they really had the power to do is ask to see a permit.

    You might want to file a complaint if you feel that you were treated inappropriately due to exercising your legal rights.

    Edited to add: Not because it was an awful encounter, but to proactively prevent "scope creep" from happening.
    Ive thought about it, but the officer was.....respectful, for the most part. Never posturing or confrontational. I was suprised at his reaction to my remaining silent. Which was really nothing. He really didnt even react. I still may send an email to let them know what happened. Just to keep them in check.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Macomb County, MI
    Posts
    16

    Des Moines OC

    First time visiting Des Moines. OC in Urbana Ruby Tuesdays. Went to big mall and OC in Scheels Sporting Goods. Thought an issue was going to take place as soon as i walked into the store but nothing more than greetings. Then walked thru rest of mall. No issues. Some casual looks but most didnt notice.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerQ View Post
    First time visiting Des Moines. OC in Urbana Ruby Tuesdays. Went to big mall and OC in Scheels Sporting Goods. Thought an issue was going to take place as soon as i walked into the store but nothing more than greetings. Then walked thru rest of mall. No issues. Some casual looks but most didnt notice.
    I have OC'd at the Coralville Scheels as well. No issues.

    Last night my wife dragged me to Stuff in Coralville. I hate that place, but no issues there. After that I went and paid tribute to the local starbucks, who, by the way, havent even heard of the boycott. Must not be that effective.

    But the best one yet, made me proud of Washington County Sheriffs Department. On saturday I went shooting with some friends at clemens creek. After exhausting our ammo, we went to pizza ranch for lunch. As we pulled in, we saw four county LEO cars in the parking lot. After some deliberating about what to do, I spoke up and said, "Lets go. Dont worry about it." We proceed into the ranch, pay for our lunch, and proceed to the buffett. There were 7 deputies, dressed in military garb, sitting at the table near us. A few of them did a double take, some stared, but none of them moved. They greeted with a nod of the head, which was returned with a smile. We were never approached or talked to. When they left they did so without issue. It was a good feeling.

    A friend that was with me needed some advice after lunch. One thing I noticed him doing is watching people to see if they were reacting.

    My advice to him, and to other OC'ers: If you look suspicious, you will be treated as such. I asked him what he would think if he saw a person with a gun looking around the restaurant nervously. It changes a persons opinion of you instantly. I know it takes some time for some people to get comfortable open carrying, but if your going to do so, try to make people think that you are just another person conducting business as usual.

    Just some friendly advice!

    Carry on!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Macomb County, MI
    Posts
    16

    Super Good Advice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    I have OC'd at the Coralville Scheels as well. No issues.

    Last night my wife dragged me to Stuff in Coralville. I hate that place, but no issues there. After that I went and paid tribute to the local starbucks, who, by the way, havent even heard of the boycott. Must not be that effective.

    But the best one yet, made me proud of Washington County Sheriffs Department. On saturday I went shooting with some friends at clemens creek. After exhausting our ammo, we went to pizza ranch for lunch. As we pulled in, we saw four county LEO cars in the parking lot. After some deliberating about what to do, I spoke up and said, "Lets go. Dont worry about it." We proceed into the ranch, pay for our lunch, and proceed to the buffett. There were 7 deputies, dressed in military garb, sitting at the table near us. A few of them did a double take, some stared, but none of them moved. They greeted with a nod of the head, which was returned with a smile. We were never approached or talked to. When they left they did so without issue. It was a good feeling.

    A friend that was with me needed some advice after lunch. One thing I noticed him doing is watching people to see if they were reacting.

    My advice to him, and to other OC'ers: If you look suspicious, you will be treated as such. I asked him what he would think if he saw a person with a gun looking around the restaurant nervously. It changes a persons opinion of you instantly. I know it takes some time for some people to get comfortable open carrying, but if your going to do so, try to make people think that you are just another person conducting business as usual.

    Just some friendly advice!

    Carry on!
    I haven't yet had a LEO encounter. I just do the best I can to smile while maintaining awareness of anyone close by. Yes, I too still get nervous, except for in places that sell weapons and ammo, and Starbucks!

  19. #19
    Regular Member mattsweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Posts
    7
    I've had 1 encounter since obtaining my permit in March of last year. I was walking down West 11th Street in Davenport and a local LEO pulled up beside me and basically said he's still getting used to the new law and just wanted to see my permit. He didn't ask me any irrelevant questions. I showed him my permit and he bid me respectful farewell.

    I've open carried in WalMart, HyVee, and Hardee's with no issues. I took my wife and daughter to Dynasty Buffet where I got a lot of uncomfortable stares and the waitress asking me if I was a police officer in broken English. I replied calmly with "No." and went back to eating. There were no LEOs called or dispatched to the scene and everyone lived happily ever after.

    I'm going to take a walk right now while it's cool outside (gotta love this heatwave). I'll post the results later.

    Gotta say I love this forum so far! Makes me even more proud to be an American!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Macomb County, MI
    Posts
    16

    Talking My Recent OC Experiences

    Yay to the last poster!

    I have OC'd in Walmart in Bettendorf & Davenport, Walgreens, McDonald's on West Kimberly, A Pawn & Gun shop on West Kimberly, Gander Mountain, the going out of business Kmart, HyVeeand bravely this weekend, Northpark Mall. I am embracing the OC movement as part of my daily life. Too bad though I work in Illinois... I have gotten questioned by employees in HyVee, I told them no to the LEO question, that I wear for personal protection and to exercise my rights. I received a positive response. Turns out this young man was an Afghanistan combat veteran. An employee in Lids, a hat store in North Park Mall, asked me the same question, and as he seemed quite concerned, I left w/o any incident. Oh and Barnes & Noble in the Mall... of course, Starbucks & Target.

    I'm quite pleased that I am openly greeted by Walmart workers everytime I go into one of the Quad City locations. Much of the time people don't even notice.

    I weighed carefully the issue of CC vs. OC, and I have chosen to OC. I appreciate the "Equalizing" ability of properly holstered firearms...especially since I am not a big man. I CC'd this evening, only b/c it was raining outside. It's amazing too, at gun ranges, how polite everyone is to each other.

    Thank you to all for posting your experiences, you have helped me to reach a positive comfort level, and have taught me how to properly respond to people's questions.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    open carried at subway off blairsferry in cr. no issues just a few looks and the ladies behind the counter didnt act nervous or anything.
    They've seen it before Also they are 2 doors down from a gun shop and across the lot from sam's/walmart, which are popular places for people to try opencarry their first time. I'm guessing they get more exposure than the average bear.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    really? i havnt seen anyone open carry in that area yet.
    I was up there this weekend! Stopped at a friends house, he showed me around the area, Walmart, gunshop, etc.... No issues.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Macomb County, MI
    Posts
    16

    Talking Library!

    Had an incident free experience in Davenport's Main Library branch on Main St. This library is only a couple blocks from both Davenport PD and the Scott County Sheriff's Dept. I spent about 30 minutes there, and had spoken to staff members. No issues!

  24. #24
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerQ View Post
    Had an incident free experience in Davenport's Main Library branch on Main St. This library is only a couple blocks from both Davenport PD and the Scott County Sheriff's Dept. I spent about 30 minutes there, and had spoken to staff members. No issues!
    :-) :-)

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Macomb County, MI
    Posts
    16

    Cool Walmart Corporation Should Be Applauded

    Hey everybody,

    Today while in Sam's Club of Davenport / Bettendorf buying a new membership, another customer asked me about my weapon, and it's OC legality here in Iowa. The very young customer service representative behind the counter answered for me, stating that yes it is legal here but not in Illinois. (The state line is just minutes away). I went on to explain that the Iowa Permit To Carry Weapons laws do not specify requirement for CC or OC. This tells me that Walmart is educating it's associates about the legality of OC. In any case, I think WalMart Corporation should be applauded for this. I have always been welcomed in Walmart and buy most of my ammo from there. My experience today in Sam's Club was equally positive. Whatever you might think of their economic policies, they are at least doing one thing right it would appear.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •