• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List your OC/CC expierence here.

mattsweet

I've had 1 encounter since obtaining my permit in March of last year. I was walking down West 11th Street in Davenport and a local LEO pulled up beside me and basically said he's still getting used to the new law and just wanted to see my permit. He didn't ask me any irrelevant questions. I showed him my permit and he bid me respectful farewell.

I've open carried in WalMart, HyVee, and Hardee's with no issues. I took my wife and daughter to Dynasty Buffet where I got a lot of uncomfortable stares and the waitress asking me if I was a police officer in broken English. I replied calmly with "No." and went back to eating. There were no LEOs called or dispatched to the scene and everyone lived happily ever after.

I'm going to take a walk right now while it's cool outside (gotta love this heatwave). I'll post the results later.

Gotta say I love this forum so far! Makes me even more proud to be an American!

BoomerQ

My Recent OC Experiences

Yay to the last poster!

I have OC'd in Walmart in Bettendorf & Davenport, Walgreens, McDonald's on West Kimberly, A Pawn & Gun shop on West Kimberly, Gander Mountain, the going out of business Kmart, HyVeeand bravely this weekend, Northpark Mall. I am embracing the OC movement as part of my daily life. Too bad though I work in Illinois... I have gotten questioned by employees in HyVee, I told them no to the LEO question, that I wear for personal protection and to exercise my rights. I received a positive response. Turns out this young man was an Afghanistan combat veteran. An employee in Lids, a hat store in North Park Mall, asked me the same question, and as he seemed quite concerned, I left w/o any incident. Oh and Barnes & Noble in the Mall... of course, Starbucks & Target.

I'm quite pleased that I am openly greeted by Walmart workers everytime I go into one of the Quad City locations. Much of the time people don't even notice.

I weighed carefully the issue of CC vs. OC, and I have chosen to OC. I appreciate the "Equalizing" ability of properly holstered firearms...especially since I am not a big man. I CC'd this evening, only b/c it was raining outside. It's amazing too, at gun ranges, how polite everyone is to each other.

Thank you to all for posting your experiences, you have helped me to reach a positive comfort level, and have taught me how to properly respond to people's questions.

matt2636

open carried at subway off blairsferry in cr. no issues just a few looks and the ladies behind the counter didnt act nervous or anything.

amaixner

open carried at subway off blairsferry in cr. no issues just a few looks and the ladies behind the counter didnt act nervous or anything.

They've seen it before ;) Also they are 2 doors down from a gun shop and across the lot from sam's/walmart, which are popular places for people to try opencarry their first time. I'm guessing they get more exposure than the average bear.

matt2636

They've seen it before ;) Also they are 2 doors down from a gun shop and across the lot from sam's/walmart, which are popular places for people to try opencarry their first time. I'm guessing they get more exposure than the average bear.

really? i havnt seen anyone open carry in that area yet.

BoomerQ

Library!

Had an incident free experience in Davenport's Main Library branch on Main St. This library is only a couple blocks from both Davenport PD and the Scott County Sheriff's Dept. I spent about 30 minutes there, and had spoken to staff members. No issues!

Tucker6900

Had an incident free experience in Davenport's Main Library branch on Main St. This library is only a couple blocks from both Davenport PD and the Scott County Sheriff's Dept. I spent about 30 minutes there, and had spoken to staff members. No issues!

:) :)

BoomerQ

Walmart Corporation Should Be Applauded

Hey everybody,

Today while in Sam's Club of Davenport / Bettendorf buying a new membership, another customer asked me about my weapon, and it's OC legality here in Iowa. The very young customer service representative behind the counter answered for me, stating that yes it is legal here but not in Illinois. (The state line is just minutes away). I went on to explain that the Iowa Permit To Carry Weapons laws do not specify requirement for CC or OC. This tells me that Walmart is educating it's associates about the legality of OC. In any case, I think WalMart Corporation should be applauded for this. I have always been welcomed in Walmart and buy most of my ammo from there. My experience today in Sam's Club was equally positive. Whatever you might think of their economic policies, they are at least doing one thing right it would appear.

Tucker6900

Hey everybody,

Today while in Sam's Club of Davenport / Bettendorf buying a new membership, another customer asked me about my weapon, and it's OC legality here in Iowa. The very young customer service representative behind the counter answered for me, stating that yes it is legal here but not in Illinois. (The state line is just minutes away). I went on to explain that the Iowa Permit To Carry Weapons laws do not specify requirement for CC or OC. This tells me that Walmart is educating it's associates about the legality of OC. In any case, I think WalMart Corporation should be applauded for this. I have always been welcomed in Walmart and buy most of my ammo from there. My experience today in Sam's Club was equally positive. Whatever you might think of their economic policies, they are at least doing one thing right it would appear.

+1

I have never had an issue in any Walmart. And you almost cant beat their ammo prices!

Packer fan

Good Advice

"My advice to him, and to other OC'ers: If you look suspicious, you will be treated as such. I asked him what he would think if he saw a person with a gun looking around the restaurant nervously. It changes a persons opinion of you instantly. I know it takes some time for some people to get comfortable open carrying, but if your going to do so, try to make people think that you are just another person conducting business as usual. " By Trucker6900

This is good advice. I've OC in Mo, Ky, Mi, Wi, Ga and Ten and this is one of the best advice for new guys. Had a few questions but never anyone running, screaming in fear. What's funny is my wife gets more looks then I do but if you look like you belong most people will look the other way.

I'm traveling that way on my way to Wisconsin and am looking forward to adding Iowa to yet another State I can OC. Funny thing is I can't OC in my own "gun friendly" State. I will also be adding Ok in the mix too.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

"My advice to him, and to other OC'ers: If you look suspicious, you will be treated as such. I asked him what he would think if he saw a person with a gun looking around the restaurant nervously. It changes a persons opinion of you instantly. I know it takes some time for some people to get comfortable open carrying, but if your going to do so, try to make people think that you are just another person conducting business as usual. " By Trucker6900

This is good advice. I've OC in Mo, Ky, Mi, Wi, Ga and Ten and this is one of the best advice for new guys. Had a few questions but never anyone running, screaming in fear. What's funny is my wife gets more looks then I do but if you look like you belong most people will look the other way.

I'm traveling that way on my way to Wisconsin and am looking forward to adding Iowa to yet another State I can OC. Funny thing is I can't OC in my own "gun friendly" State. I will also be adding Ok in the mix too.

So far, I havent had any real issues open carrying here. I hope you have a good time!

P.S. I thought Arkansas just got OC? Maybe that was another state.

BoomerQ

First LEO Encounter!

Hey everybody,

I just moved to a new, still being constructed community in Bettendorf. While checking the mail CCing outside as I do when I wear shorts, I was asked by a cute female Police Officer about the community. We had a friendly talk about my trip to the Princeton Rifle Range this morning, and she asked me what I was carrying. I told her and offered her my permit, and she initially refused. After she claimed she hadn't seen one, she asked and I handed it to her. She looked at it for maybe 5 seconds then gave it back. I asked her what her name is and she shook my hand giving me her first name. She was very nice and cordial. An awesome first encounter!!!

Packer fan

Arkansas OC hasn't been challenged

So far, I havent had any real issues open carrying here. I hope you have a good time!

P.S. I thought Arkansas just got OC? Maybe that was another state.

It is illegal to carry a hand gun, knife, club, razor with intent use it against another person in Arkansas http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/pdf/chl_faq.pdf

with the exception of being on a journey but a journey has never been clearly defined. Even the AG can't define what a journey is but anyway we have to reach way back to see a court case involving the definition of a journey.

So by law if you visit Arkansas you can OC but I as a resident can't.

http://www.arkansascarry.com/

opencarryjoel

Carry Open most everywhere.

I have gotten to where I carry most everywhere around town oc. Not hardly a stare anymore that everyone in my small town is pretty much used to seeing me with it now. I usually open carry in des moines. The only places in dm that I will cc is southridge mall which is notoriously anti gun. The only place I catch much grief is my is mom and dads house. Dad finally warmed up to me carrying it but moms still pissed that I carry it. She still has the belief that theres no reason to carry a gun.............nothing will EVER happen to me and if it does my local police will be able to be there in time to save my sorry butt. Heres how the conversation happens EVERY time:

Mom: Hello sweety how are you?
Me: Im good Mom
Mom: Oh my god is that thing loaded?
Me, What good would it be if the damn thing wern't loaded? What do you want me to do throw the gun at someone if Im being attacked and need to use it to defend myself?
Mom: I just don't understand why you feel the need to carry that thing! Call the police, thats what we pay them for isn't it?
Me, No we pay the police for their response after an incident has already happened. We pay them to call the coroner, not to stop the bad guy from hurting or killing the people I love. including you..

This is the point where she rolls her eyes, shakes her head and walks away. Well at least she stopped telling me to take it off when im in the house. She did once and I said unless you have a plan to keep me safe while im inside your house then I will continue wearing it, or I just won't bother to come anymore. I love my mommy, but I love the right of self-preservation even more!

opencarryjoel

I'm curious - where else around DSM have you been known to OC?

I oc almost everywhere in dsm. It's just that Ive had trouble with the security manager at southridge before, so to keep the fuss to a mim I just cover it up when im in there.