• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CGF Strategy for Carry In California...But Something's Missing

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
That's unfortunate. It'd be interesting to hear what the strategy will be if the Supreme Court rules that states can restrict concealed carry but not open carry. I guess it's nice to have some vague outline over what the overall plan is.

The argument over open carry versus concealed carry is really one of those Elvis versus the Beatles things. It's theoretically possible to like them both, but you always have to choose one over the other in the end. Maybe more CGFers lean toward the concealed side. Oaklander said that thing about open carry being ok if banjos are around. Gene lead the 2010 Pink Pistol chant of, "Marriage license, carry license". I wonder if there's a strategy to remove the restriction on CCW holders from LOCing? Maybe the open carry stuff is really top secret? I dunno, it's kind of a bummer not to see open carry mentioned at all.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Of course there are elements of strategy missing from an outline being published on a public forum. It would not benefit us if everything that pro-gunners intended to accomplish were exposed for the opposition to derail. There is no question that certain information is not being released with that in mind.

On the other hand, there are other things that have been recommended by Gene that may reveal what is going on behind the curtains... namely, the recommendation to refer to 'CCW' as either 'carry license' or LTC. Removing 'concealed' from the reference to California's licensing scheme is not a trivial exercize- there is a reason to break decades of learned ill-used nomenclature.

Firemark

There are 2 lines of thought I look at with regard to Open vs Concealed carry.
Concealed- pretty much accepted and the standard in many states, most likely because it is CONCEALED and the general public, who can and do become hysterically scared at the meer sight of a weapon, prefer to not see the "evil". Requires a permit or permission from the state to carry in this manner and many believe that this makes them safer. Hoplophobia is very easy to nurture and encourage growth, our mainstream media does a great job of that.
Open Carry- the original, legal means of carrying where seeing the weapon was historically seen as the honorable and polite thing to do so people know you are armed. Written law still on the books for many states, but not regulary practiced. But this idea has been transformed this past century into being not socially accepted. Thank you mainstream media and hollywood.

The problem I see is that, after the 2nd ammendment was written, Government has pretty much tried to take away the right to keep and bear arms. People want that right back and so they are using the 3 boxes to change their government (Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box), and change as we all know can invariably be difficult and painful and met with much resistance.

Although not exactly the same I see a parrallel to the civil rights movement of the 50'/60's. Their are those who push for change gently, thru legal means, without ruffling to many feathers, Martin Luther King (CalGuns). Then there are those who are more in your face, provocative, feather ruffling, Black Panthers (Open Carry advocates). Its a loose association I know, because OC'rs are actually trying to obey the law, while some LE agencies try to treat them as criminals and prosecute them as such. The LE departments that realize this is a PR nightmare and they will lose that battle have turned to the political process by backing the legislature and elected officials to change the rules for them, and attack OC from the flank.

I think the 2 types of gun rights advocacy should operate concurrently, Calguns probably realizes that OC'rs can effect a change of peoples mindset but could also rock the boat so much that it hurts their agenda on the legislative and legal and front weaken any support they might get. Many OC'rs want things to happen today, now, they want their rights back, but if they push to hard and ruffle to many feathers, the strategy can have the opposite affect. Calguns cant show their cards otherwise they lose their position so OC is kinda left in the dark and can get upset and peeved that nothing is getting done, at least that seems to be many peoples perception.

So my take is, allow CalGuns to do their thing they are making progress, working hard, changing the landscape, they are working the slow and steady winning strategy, OC'rs keep doing your thing, be smart, be a positive role model and change the publics perception, and just have faith that their are things going on behind the curtain we cant see. We dont all have to know the grand strategy, just use smart tactics for what you do day to day. The shift in Americas mindset is working, just keep the faith.

mjones

Thanx, we should meet at an OC gathering, nothing big just a local get together, what part of SoCal are you?

I don't go to any of the meets - group OC is not my cup of tea. My 'normal' stomping grounds are Santa Clarita through Southern Kern County, I live in Palmdale.

markm

Thanks to all for a very good thread.

I am a CalGuns member. I enjoy the people over there. They are not boogeymen (OK, boogeypeople).

Yeah, their GOAL is a little different, their STRATEGY is a little different, and their TACTICS are a little different. For me, they are advancing RKBA everyday. I will take RKBA anyway I can get it. OC, LTC, and repeal of 626.9 is all good to me.

I donate to CalGuns and educate people with their literature. A co-worker asked me about AWs yesterday. I told him that I have a flow-chart from CalGuns that explains what is legal and what is not; I will give him a copy today. I hand-out CalGuns luggage tags to gun-toting freinds.

On my rucksack I have a CalGuns tag attached to a compartment that is padlocked. No gun inside. I am trolling for a 42 USC 1983 civil rights lawsuit. No LEO has taken the bait and I really don't expect to be questioned about it; but I have fun with it! I hope LEO-s are smart enougth to avoid that trap (don't worry, I know better). After all, LUCC-ing PC statutes and a LEO questionaire is legal.

I am still a little peaved over how some CalGunners browbeat people on this site (BigToe is a good example; he was browbeat pretty badly).

Politics is civilized war, and war is politics by gun barrel. Most battle plans don't survive the first salvo. No strategy is perfect. We must percevere, adapt, and overcome. We need a coupe-de-main; attack from all fronts! CalGunners are attacking from a different front.

thanks,
markm

Last edited:

Firemark

I don't go to any of the meets - group OC is not my cup of tea. My 'normal' stomping grounds are Santa Clarita through Southern Kern County, I live in Palmdale.

Yea thats a bit of a commute from San Diego. Thank goodness for the internet and forums.

Firemark

What's the criteria for determining if someone is a "CalGunner" or an "OCDOer"?

Either a great question or its a trap ;)

We both want the same basic thing, our gun rights and the govenment to leave us alone. I see people who meet the criteria for both and some who are firmly entrenched in either camp.

Every time I see or read arguments or disputes from Calguns v UOC, I keep thinking of the movie Stepbrothers with Will Farrell and John C. Reilly, how eventually somewhere down the line they will be good buddies, but have to go thru an unbelievable amount of posturing and maturing to get there. :eek:

wildhawker

What's the criteria for determining if someone is a "CalGunner" or an "OCDOer"?

I think it's self-determined. I consider myself a gun rights advocate, first, period. I happen to be a member of OCDO, Calguns.net, Guntards, and a handful of other message boards and online forums, as well as organizations like SAF, NRA, CRPA, CGF, and Madison Society. I think I'm an "alloftheabover".

-Brandon

wildhawker

That's unfortunate. It'd be interesting to hear what the strategy will be if the Supreme Court rules that states can restrict concealed carry but not open carry. I guess it's nice to have some vague outline over what the overall plan is.

The argument over open carry versus concealed carry is really one of those Elvis versus the Beatles things. It's theoretically possible to like them both, but you always have to choose one over the other in the end. Maybe more CGFers lean toward the concealed side. Oaklander said that thing about open carry being ok if banjos are around. Gene lead the 2010 Pink Pistol chant of, "Marriage license, carry license". I wonder if there's a strategy to remove the restriction on CCW holders from LOCing? Maybe the open carry stuff is really top secret? I dunno, it's kind of a bummer not to see open carry mentioned at all.

Kevin, should that occur - and I highly doubt that you get such language from the USSC, since it would place, possibly, a ratifying majority of states against them on the issue - trust that we'll leverage everything we're handed to create the broadest, most robust 2A possible.

I truly do not believe that you have to choose one over the other in the end. In the final analysis, some states will always have constitutional or legislative protection of the right to open carry, concealed carry, or both. The more applied 2A is normed across the states, the less risk we have of those conditions changing. If things go as I suspect they will, then Californians will be able to carry in the state's chosen manner 1) first, as under PC 12050/26150, and 2) later, under a more constitutionally-appropriate permit-less or free/cheap/fast permit system. That I've stated the possibility of a future permit-based system should not be construed as my preference; it absolutely is not.

Of course there are elements of strategy missing from an outline being published on a public forum. It would not benefit us if everything that pro-gunners intended to accomplish were exposed for the opposition to derail. There is no question that certain information is not being released with that in mind.

On the other hand, there are other things that have been recommended by Gene that may reveal what is going on behind the curtains... namely, the recommendation to refer to 'CCW' as either 'carry license' or LTC. Removing 'concealed' from the reference to California's licensing scheme is not a trivial exercize- there is a reason to break decades of learned ill-used nomenclature.

Thank you for reading between the lines.

There are 2 lines of thought I look at with regard to Open vs Concealed carry.
Concealed- pretty much accepted and the standard in many states, most likely because it is CONCEALED and the general public, who can and do become hysterically scared at the meer sight of a weapon, prefer to not see the "evil". Requires a permit or permission from the state to carry in this manner and many believe that this makes them safer. Hoplophobia is very easy to nurture and encourage growth, our mainstream media does a great job of that.
Open Carry- the original, legal means of carrying where seeing the weapon was historically seen as the honorable and polite thing to do so people know you are armed. Written law still on the books for many states, but not regulary practiced. But this idea has been transformed this past century into being not socially accepted. Thank you mainstream media and hollywood.

The problem I see is that, after the 2nd ammendment was written, Government has pretty much tried to take away the right to keep and bear arms. People want that right back and so they are using the 3 boxes to change their government (Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box), and change as we all know can invariably be difficult and painful and met with much resistance.

Although not exactly the same I see a parrallel to the civil rights movement of the 50'/60's. Their are those who push for change gently, thru legal means, without ruffling to many feathers, Martin Luther King (CalGuns). Then there are those who are more in your face, provocative, feather ruffling, Black Panthers (Open Carry advocates). Its a loose association I know, because OC'rs are actually trying to obey the law, while some LE agencies try to treat them as criminals and prosecute them as such. The LE departments that realize this is a PR nightmare and they will lose that battle have turned to the political process by backing the legislature and elected officials to change the rules for them, and attack OC from the flank.

I think the 2 types of gun rights advocacy should operate concurrently, Calguns probably realizes that OC'rs can effect a change of peoples mindset but could also rock the boat so much that it hurts their agenda on the legislative and legal and front weaken any support they might get. Many OC'rs want things to happen today, now, they want their rights back, but if they push to hard and ruffle to many feathers, the strategy can have the opposite affect. Calguns cant show their cards otherwise they lose their position so OC is kinda left in the dark and can get upset and peeved that nothing is getting done, at least that seems to be many peoples perception.

So my take is, allow CalGuns to do their thing they are making progress, working hard, changing the landscape, they are working the slow and steady winning strategy, OC'rs keep doing your thing, be smart, be a positive role model and change the publics perception, and just have faith that their are things going on behind the curtain we cant see. We dont all have to know the grand strategy, just use smart tactics for what you do day to day. The shift in Americas mindset is working, just keep the faith.

I agree that perceptions can sometimes work against us with respect to our fellow gun rights advocates, such as some who post here; however, CGF is a bit less friendly than your message seems to imply. We work very hard to ruffle feathers; ask CA DOJ, and California's 58 counties' counsel and sheriffs, for starters.

Thanks to all for a very good thread.

I am a CalGuns member. I enjoy the people over there. They are not boogeymen (OK, boogeypeople).

Yeah, their GOAL is a little different, their STRATEGY is a little different, and their TACTICS are a little different. For me, they are advancing RKBA everyday. I will take RKBA anyway I can get it. OC, LTC, and repeal of 626.9 is all good to me.

I donate to CalGuns and educate people with their literature. A co-worker asked me about AWs yesterday. I told him that I have a flow-chart from CalGuns that explains what is legal and what is not; I will give him a copy today. I hand-out CalGuns luggage tags to gun-toting freinds.

On my rucksack I have a CalGuns tag attached to a compartment that is padlocked. No gun inside. I am trolling for a 42 USC 1983 civil rights lawsuit. No LEO has taken the bait and I really don't expect to be questioned about it; but I have fun with it! I hope LEO-s are smart enougth to avoid that trap (don't worry, I know better). After all, LUCC-ing PC statutes and a LEO questionaire is legal.

I am still a little peaved over how some CalGunners browbeat people on this site (BigToe is a good example; he was browbeat pretty badly).

Politics is civilized war, and war is politics by gun barrel. Most battle plans don't survive the first salvo. No strategy is perfect. We must percevere, adapt, and overcome. We need a coupe-de-main; attack from all fronts! CalGunners are attacking from a different front.

thanks,
markm

Our goals are no different than yours. If we can, over the course of time, create the outcomes I think most of us want, we surely will.

A judgment on tactics should not be construed as a judgment on values. This applies in both directions.

-Brandon

oc4ever

Everyone has a agenda, this is war!!!

Everyone on here that takes the time to post, carry or own defense weapons, and physically and/or financially support the various gun groups has a agenda. This is like a mini war standing up for what you think is right and defending the USA Constitution. Just like no war can be won by just the Airforce, you need to put troops on the ground to complete the task. CalGuns is the AirForce with the big bombers (money and attorneys). They will win some of the battles and change the landscape, but will never win the war without the ground troops in the field. We are like a army of many nations. The various nations all want something out of the conflict, the generals of the troops may or may not have the same agenda and will argue about how the troops should be deployed. The bottom line is the attack must come come many different angles to win. Everything that is done to win general public support is a step in the right direction. That includes the in-your-face look at my gun portion of the offense. You may not like it, but everyone can try to fight as they wish if you are willing to face the legal risks.The" informers" who hand out brochures and information at a booth may be more effective than the shock troops. Only time will tell, it is too early in this long battle to know yet.

Firemark

I agree that perceptions can sometimes work against us with respect to our fellow gun rights advocates, such as some who post here; however, CGF is a bit less friendly than your message seems to imply. We work very hard to ruffle feathers; ask CA DOJ, and California's 58 counties' counsel and sheriffs, for starters.

-Brandon

Birds in a different coup I suppose, the ruffling not seen or heard by the world outside, point taken.:)

donny

CGF strategy is the over blowing of even the tiniest incremental gains whether they were responsible or not. Although it's one of the least effective gun rights organizations in the country you'd never know it from their constant self promotion...