• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Contacted by thurston county sheriff 8/24/11

Schlepnier

Greetings all my fellow OCers
I knew it had to happen eventually...so here goes

I need to start by once again congradulating the thurston county sheriff's department for professional and correct behavior.

In my daily routine after work i walk about 2.5 miles around my housing community for my bit of needed exercise. since i work a swing shift this is usually early morning hours betwen 1-3am.
i always have a very bright halogen headlamp on to prevent me from becoming roadkill. well apparently today somebody saw me walking and OCing and called it in, while the dispatcher may need some help in not wasting officers time over OC, the officer acted appropriately.

At first i noticed a local Yelm PD cruiser go by but it did not stop. and then a few minutes later a sheriffs cruiser approached from the opposite direction.

He turned on his overhead and asked me "how things were going", to which i replied just fine.
He then asked if i was armed, i responded "absolutely"
He then asked if i was out for a walk which i answered in the affirmative and noted i had been doing so every night for many years. apperently this is not the first call he received about me since he confirmed he knew i did.

He asked if i lived in the housing community, which i said i did, he then asked me my name. at this point i refused to give the information citing TERRY.

At this point he agreed that i had that right, and bid me a good night and drove away.

I recorded the entire 2 minute or so encounter on my phone, if i knew how to transfer it i would let you listen.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

Perfect. You gave him the comfort of knowing you were just going about your business, and yet refused to divulge personal info, which he had no problem with. He has absolutely every right to ask, which he did. He did not demand.

THIS should be a good example of how police encounters with law abiding citizens should go!

Schlepnier

Well it wasn't a valid terry stop so therefore i had no lawful requirement to continue the conversation with him or answer any of his questions. it's nice that there are additional sources if they need be, but again he was professional and polite so i am still counting this a good encounter. especially compared to what some members have had to deal with in king county.

1245A Defender

well,,,

OK!!! I was just trying to give some more info..

You spoke to the cop freely answering questions,
and even admitting to carrying a gun! I would have said, "thats a personal question, and none of your business".

BUT,,, Now, when he asks, "papers please"?
you cite the case that deals with lawful detentions.

thats OK with me, You handled it Great!!!

I just wish to show all the folks that might be reading this,
that in a case of Cops Just asking a random guy for his ID, "or trying to require it",
this was ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court, in the case of kolander V. Lawson...

Last edited:

Schlepnier

and even admitting to carrying a gun! I would have said, "thats a personal question, and none of your business".
Considering he was staring right at it i hardly think trying to deny it or be argumentative would have been reasonable.

The entire encounter lasted less than a minute now that i look at my phone timer, and i really didn't have to say much. i think he knew everything was legit and acted accordingly.

amzbrady

Greetings all my fellow OCers
I knew it had to happen eventually...so here goes

I need to start by once again congradulating the thurston county sheriff's department for professional and correct behavior.

In my daily routine after work i walk about 2.5 miles around my housing community for my bit of needed exercise. since i work a swing shift this is usually early morning hours betwen 1-3am.
i always have a very bright halogen headlamp on to prevent me from becoming roadkill. well apparently today somebody saw me walking and OCing and called it in, while the dispatcher may need some help in not wasting officers time over OC, the officer acted appropriately.

At first i noticed a local Yelm PD cruiser go by but it did not stop. and then a few minutes later a sheriffs cruiser approached from the opposite direction.

He turned on his overhead and asked me "how things were going", to which i replied just fine.
He then asked if i was armed, i responded "absolutely"
He then asked if i was out for a walk which i answered in the affirmative and noted i had been doing so every night for many years. apperently this is not the first call he received about me since he confirmed he knew i did.

He asked if i lived in the housing community, which i said i did, he then asked me my name. at this point i refused to give the information citing TERRY.

At this point he agreed that i had that right, and bid me a good night and drove away.

I recorded the entire 2 minute or so encounter on my phone, if i knew how to transfer it i would let you listen.

They might have saw this commercial, and just did what they thought they were supposed to.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1117092999001/police-state-usa/

Last edited:

911Grunt

a side note...at most 911 centers when a citizen calls and request an officer a call has to be made and dispatched..and we're stuck in the middle
:banghead:

G20-IWB24/7

a side note...at most 911 centers when a citizen calls and request an officer a call has to be made and dispatched..and we're stuck in the middle

Unless you're reporting a car prowl... then you're certain to NOT see an officer in the area for hours or days. Sorry- [rant -off-]

Trigger Dr

But if you tell 911 that you are armed and going out to stop them... then when the cops get there tell them I don't have a gun but you said there were no cops available either.

911Grunt

:banghead: ahhh they joy's of being in the middle :banghead:

Just remember, all calls to 911 are taped (and radio traffic on the primary groups). and what you say can be play back in court.

Schlepnier

Well we will see what happens, i am assuming that eventually the caller/s if they choose to call again will get state open carry explained to them. perhaps even get warned to stop repeatedly calling 911 over legal open carry or face charges of false reporting.