Thread: Another anti-gun platform dismantled

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Another anti-gun platform dismantled

Those of us in the 30th Senate district of Virginia got a mailing from Libby Garvey in which she claimed gun control as one of her major platform planks.

Libby lost by a wide margin, despite the endorsement of retiring Patsy Ticer (another rabidly anti-gun senator).

Both she and one of her opponents (and eventual winner) Adam Ebbin will try to torpedo another duly elected official (the AG) -- they know better than the majority of voters, of course -- and apparently don't realize the AG cannot make laws.

The point, though, is that even in Northern Virginia, gun-control platforms DON'T APPEAL TO VOTERS. Even Democrats.

Good to hear that she was soundly defeated. In my district Miller Baker, a pro-gun candidate, who spoke at a recent VCDL meeting won the primary.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I hope we continue this recent streak of legislative victories for the 2A. It will take years, even with recent sucsesses to role back the damage that 60 years of bad federal legislation has done. I know this topic is about VA state politics, but as we turn the ship of states so too eventually will the fed.gov change.

It is truly heartwarming to read of liberal anti gunnerss going down in flames over stupid, passe gun control programs. Can it get any better than that?

You bet it can, and will! I'm sure that by 2012, VA will be firmly in the control of pro-gun people again, and "Dick" Saslaw's senate will be nothing more than a bad memory, like the nightmares you get after watching "Deliverance" while eating potato chips and rancid dip. Speaking of a rancid "dip"...... I ran into one in a General Assembly Building elevator once.
    Last edited by Dutch Uncle; 08-24-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It is truly heartwarming to read of liberal anti gunnerss going down in flames over stupid, passe gun control programs. Can it get any better than that?

You bet it can, and will! I'm sure that by 2012, VA will be firmly in the control of pro-gun people again, and "Dick" Saslaw's senate will be nothing more than a bad memory.........snip........
    While I would dearly love to see Saslaw defeated at some point, I acknowledge that is not likely to happen.

It will be enough to have him replaced as Majority Leader, have his hand picked illegal sub-committee abolished and see the Senate rules restored.

Presume that he would become the minority leader when we gain control of the Senate - that will be a classic testament to the will of the people - showing that Saslaw and his ilk are in a minority and there is a price to be paid for his outrageous (illegal?) conduct.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    While I would dearly love to see Saslaw defeated at some point, I acknowledge that is not likely to happen.

It will be enough to have him replaced as Majority Leader, have his hand picked illegal sub-committee abolished and see the Senate rules restored.

Presume that he would become the minority leader when we gain control of the Senate - that will be a classic testament to the will of the people - showing that Saslaw and his ilk are in a minority and there is a price to be paid for his outrageous (illegal?) conduct.
    Couldn't agree more, and why I am looking for someone to tell us which are the 3 or 4 "least likely to hold their seat" Democrats, which of course is where we should be putting most of our efforts.

Saslaw is entrenched, he reflects the craziness of the majority of his constituents. The battle for the Senate and any more significant gains in gun-rights, will be won or lost in the districts where the races are dead even.

TFred

Senate matchups frame battle for chamber

Larry Sabato says:
    "If there's one thing Americans have learned over the past decade, it's that it's dangerous when one party controls everything. That's their best argument, by far," he said. "One-party government leads to excesses."
    Democratic Party of Virginia says:
    Party spokesman Brian Coy said Democrats are confident they have the slate of candidates needed to maintain their Senate majority and pick up seats in the House of Delegates.

"Virginians understand that the Senate Democratic majority is the last line of defense against an extreme Republican agenda that puts divisive social issues ahead of jobs and the economy," Coy said. "We're looking forward to pitting our results-oriented Democratic leaders against the Republican slate of fringe tea partiers."
    No doubt gun owners get lumped in with "tea partiers" -- and they think self-defense is divisive.

The term "results oriented Democratic leaders" has a nice ring to it. Who would be the standard bearer for such a practical bunch? I know, Barack Obama !!!! Hooray!!!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The term "results oriented Democratic leaders" has a nice ring to it. Who would be the standard bearer for such a practical bunch? I know, Barack Obama !!!! Hooray!!!
    "Results oriented" is dependent upon one's goals/perspective and is overly simplistic.

I am a "results oriented" voter and I am tired of the one party control of the Virginia Senate.

Time for a change and I will do more than just hope. I am a conservative and I vote - there are a LOT more like me and yes, we are "results oriented."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

"Results oriented" is dependent upon one's goals/perspective and is overly simplistic.

I am a "results oriented" voter and I am tired of the one party control of the Virginia Senate.

Time for a change and I will do more than just hope. I am a conservative and I vote - there are a LOT more like me and yes, we are "results oriented."
    I couldn't agree more, Grape. This board can make it easy for all of us to be community organizers. We have to make certain that all of our members get out and vote. If any are apathetic or just without transportation, we need to give them a boost and/or a ride. If there are fence sitters, we need to convince them. If there are some rare birds here who turn anti, we need to send them email reminders that the polls open first thing on Wednesday morning!