• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Handgun Range

BROKENSPROKET

Are there any rules or statutes I need to be aware of for setting up a range on provate land for private use?

I live in the country of a rural county and have never sheriff or warden show up becasue of gunfire at my place. But if they ever did, I want to make sure I can't be ticketed for any violation.

I have always assumed that I still need backstops, natural or otherwise.

One temporary handgun range I had set up, my back was to the road with the target on a steep hillside, but I think I may been closer than 50 feet form the road with my back to it when I shot and neighbors drove by.

Interceptor_Knight

Are there any rules or statutes I need to be aware of for setting up a range on provate land for private use?

I live in the country of a rural county and have never sheriff or warden show up becasue of gunfire at my place. But if they ever did, I want to make sure I can't be ticketed for any violation.

I have always assumed that I still need backstops, natural or otherwise.

One temporary handgun range I had set up, my back was to the road with the target on a steep hillside, but I think I may been closer than 50 feet form the road with my back to it when I shot and neighbors drove by.

There are no State Statutes or Administrative rules until a bullet leaves your property. You may not target practice within 50ft of the centerline of the road. 50' from the road edge is fine.

BROKENSPROKET

There are no State Statutes or Administrative rules until a bullet leaves your property. You may not target practice within 50ft of the centerline of the road. 50' from the road edge is fine.

So, aleast 50' from the center of the roadway and no bullet leaves the property. Then I am good. Thank you.

That temp. range I mentioned was over 70' feet from the center of the raodway. I went out and checked. And 160 degrees out from the shooting bench the closest residence is over 2500 yards out.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I have my own private range as well. It was improved this year when the guys showed up to do my septic system. Since they had all that fine equipment I had them take some dirt out of the hillside to make a very nice backstop. The rest of my property is my own informal range on which anything that can be construed as a target and annoying or tasty critters must beware. :)
A couple of fat and yummy doe did not head the warning last year nor did two woodchucks who decided it was a good idea to dig around my house or the beaver that was damming up my stream.

Interceptor_Knight

So, aleast 50' from the center of the roadway and no bullet leaves the property. Then I am good. Thank you.

That temp. range I mentioned was over 70' feet from the center of the raodway. I went out and checked. And 160 degrees out from the shooting bench the closest residence is over 2500 yards out.
It is always good to check on your County and Township for applicable codes or ordinances.

phred

I have my own range too. However, check for a noise ordinance and an ordinance that would ban single bullet ammunition. Some townships near populated areas are shotgun only.

There may be noise problems with the neighbors.

theoicarry

I have my own range too. However, check for a noise ordinance and an ordinance that would ban single bullet ammunition. Some townships near populated areas are shotgun only.

I also am very fortunate and have my own range. Walk out the back door and Boom!

DangerClose

I'd call the sheriff and whoever else and ask. If they say such and such is ok, then I wouldn't be too worried about getting any complaints.

I think state is 50' from the road, as mentioned, and not within 100 yards of another residence.

At the worst, it's nice to be able to shoot "quiet" .22 on your own property. I'm fairly far from any neighbors, but I still would hesitate to shoot some loud stuff on a regular basis without doing some sound tests first. Would suck to tick off all your neighbors and then they all ignore you in the winter if you need help pulling your car out of a ditch or something. :lol:

Interceptor_Knight

Do you have any examples of absolute shotgun only areas? Most shotgun only areas are only for deer season. For every other game season where a firearm is legal you may use a .50 BMG, etc.

phred

Do you have any examples of absolute shotgun only areas? Most shotgun only areas are only for deer season. For every other game season where a firearm is legal you may use a .50 BMG, etc.

The only reason I bring this up is that for years, portions of the Town of Stettin had signs indicating that only bird shot could be used. Next time I'm in the area I'll look for a sign and take a picture of it for you.

Captain Nemo

Some towns have ordinances that prohibit discharge of firearms. They can do so under the preemption statute. Make sure you check out the situation in the town you have your range. Usually the towns that have such an ordinance are near heavy population centers.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I'm taking a guess and thinking it will be even cheaper in 2-3 years.
Oh, it may be; however, interest rates will probably be ski high with inflation and in the end that will make it more expensive. It's about as close to perfect as you can get it until 2013 as Berwanker has decided to not think about raising interest rates until then but with the downgrade, and if there is another, they'll be going up. Cheap prices AND low interest rates don't come along very often.

protias

Oh, it may be; however, interest rates will probably be ski high with inflation and in the end that will make it more expensive. It's about as close to perfect as you can get it until 2013 as Berwanker has decided to not think about raising interest rates until then but with the downgrade, and if there is another, they'll be going up. Cheap prices AND low interest rates don't come along very often.

You got me there. Maybe I'll just save up and pay cash for a shack? :lol:

BROKENSPROKET

Some towns have ordinances that prohibit discharge of firearms. They can do so under the preemption statute. Make sure you check out the situation in the town you have your range. Usually the towns that have such an ordinance are near heavy population centers.

I already went to the County Clerk to inquire about firearm ordinances, and I was told that there is not a single ordinance with the word firearm in it. The ordinances are not codified, so the clerk did a word search for all the ordinances in the system and it came up empty. The cleark told me that they only enforce state statutes. Later I ran into (while OC) Corporate Counsel, and I asked him. He stated that when the preemption statute was passed, the county board moved to remove all firearm ordinances for the county. The county board also pressured all the municipalities to do so as well, and some of them squaked, but in the end, they were all removed.

My son and I have already fired over well over 1000 rounds of handgun, rifle, shotgun, muzlleloader. Last year alone we shot over 500 handgun rounds in the front yard as a few neighbors drove by. The LEO's have only been to our place once, when they were looking for the nextdoor neighbors girlfriend.I live in rural county, 2.2 miles off the highway. We get traffic from those who live farther back in the hills.

Packfanatic

Nice

I already went to the County Clerk to inquire about firearm ordinances, and I was told that there is not a single ordinance with the word firearm in it. The ordinances are not codified, so the clerk did a word search for all the ordinances in the system and it came up empty. The cleark told me that they only enforce state statutes. Later I ran into (while OC) Corporate Counsel, and I asked him. He stated that when the preemption statute was passed, the county board moved to remove all firearm ordinances for the county. The county board also pressured all the municipalities to do so as well, and some of them squaked, but in the end, they were all removed.

My son and I have already fired over well over 1000 rounds of handgun, rifle, shotgun, muzlleloader. Last year alone we shot over 500 handgun rounds in the front yard as a few neighbors drove by. The LEO's have only been to our place once, when they were looking for the nextdoor neighbors girlfriend.I live in rural county, 2.2 miles off the highway. We get traffic from those who live farther back in the hills.

Well you must be happy you do not live in Dane County lol this really sucks here. too close to madison i can smell the stench most days from the libbies lol !!