• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive Handgun I course - Doswell, Va. Saturday, 9/10/11 - Registration is open!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Proactive Shooters is proud to announce a new, live fire course!

Defensive Handgun I

Defensive Handgun I is a structured live fire class designed to teach you the beginning shooting techniques needed to properly deploy your defensive handgun, while at the same time reinforcing safe gun handling skills. This course will be crucial for someone who carries a handgun on a regular basis and wants to learn & reinforce new skills beyond the basic fundamentals.

Students will shoot from standing, kneeling, and prone positions, at various distances at our outdoor range facility. Students should be physically prepared to shoot from these positions. The course runs about 6 hours, depending on class size (Limit 10 students per class).

Topics include:

One/Two hand shooting techniques
Magazine changes/reloads while shooting
Shooting from Retention
Reinforcement of Basic Handgun Skills & Safety
Linear/Lateral Movement
Target Recognition
Verbal Commands
Shooting from Standing, Kneeling & Prone Positions

The cost for this training class is $150.00. You may register for the course on our website, www.ProactivesShooters.com. Because of the limited space in the class, advance payment is required.

Equipment Requirements: Center fire, defensive handgun (.380 to .45 caliber), 400 rounds of ammunition (minimum, if you bring more, you can shoot more!), ear protection (headphones preferred), wrap-around eye protection, a baseball style cap/hat, 3 spare magazines (or more), a magazine pouch and a strong side, belt slide/outside the waistband holster, appropriate clothes for the weather.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry. We usually do most of our classes on weekends as that seems to be when the majority of people are available. We may be able to do a weekday course if we get a few folks interested in it.

If I can get caught up I still may sign up for this one. It's a basic course but it's been ten years or so since I took one and have probably developed a few:uhoh:... bad habits.

TFred

Just curious, why the requirement for a baseball cap? I never ever wear a baseball cap. Wearing one for training would be introducing a factor that I can safely say would never exist in my real life. Just wondering.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Just curious, why the requirement for a baseball cap? I never ever wear a baseball cap. Wearing one for training would be introducing a factor that I can safely say would never exist in my real life. Just wondering.

TFred

Helps to keep the sun out of your eyes, and protects your head/face from flying brass. If you really didn't want to wear one, its not all that big of a deal.

TFred

Helps to keep the sun out of your eyes, and protects your head/face from flying brass. If you really didn't want to wear one, its not all that big of a deal.
Ah, that makes perfect sense... it's a protective gear thing, during training. :) Same with eye and ear protection. If you're ever required to use your training in real life, you aren't going to have time to stop and put on your shooting glasses and earmuffs either.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think that's supposed to be a pretty day.
God made a hole in the weather just for this!:lol: