• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need to produce ID

KIX

I don't understand why anyone would bother to introduce a firearm into a traffic stop.

Notification laws are scarry.

I tell my students that the choice is theirs and they have to look at all sides of the issue. I then say "this is what I do"......

I have seen on dash cam video and witnessed too much on the issue to come to this conclusion.

Putting your hands on the wheel, stating you have a pistol permit and you have a firearm in the vehicle does one thing.....

"GUN!!!!!!!"

Given the plethora of video where cops accidentally shoot or harass a law abiding citizen, I wait until it gets to the point where I have to get out of my car.

A cop friend of mine says "but if my life is in danger".... I'm like "it never was, I'm a law abiding citizen and I'm not going to shoot a cop".

His response: "but, if you're a criminal......." and I but in..... "good luck with that notification from a criminal!".

Look on his face was priceless.

Jonathan

Freiheit417

Notification laws are scarry.

I tell my students that the choice is theirs and they have to look at all sides of the issue. I then say "this is what I do"......

I have seen on dash cam video and witnessed too much on the issue to come to this conclusion.

Putting your hands on the wheel, stating you have a pistol permit and you have a firearm in the vehicle does one thing.....

"GUN!!!!!!!"

Given the plethora of video where cops accidentally shoot or harass a law abiding citizen, I wait until it gets to the point where I have to get out of my car.

A cop friend of mine says "but if my life is in danger".... I'm like "it never was, I'm a law abiding citizen and I'm not going to shoot a cop".

His response: "but, if you're a criminal......." and I but in..... "good luck with that notification from a criminal!".

Look on his face was priceless.

Jonathan

Many years ago and not long after I got my permit, someone I knew told me what happened when he volunteered such information "out of courtesy." The officer DREW on him right after he handed over his permit. Now, I can't say for sure whether his story was BS, but it certainly made me think about what I would do. I will only notify if required by law or if I am ordered to exit the vehicle.

There are many officers who are true professionals but unfortunately, you usually don't know if they will react like the Canton, OH cop or not. I would not want to be staring down the barrel of a gun just because I was trying to be "courteous." If we could count on all officers being 100% professional, then perhaps I would re-evaluate that position.

IMHO, mandatory notification laws are indeed scary. It creates another "gotcha-law" that is VERY subjective. After all, how long is "immediately".... 1 second, 5 seconds, 1 minute? If your notification does not fall within the officer's view of immediate, then GOTCHA! You possibly get arrested and maybe even lose your permit. I hope CT doesn't consider such a wrongheaded law.

Freiheit417

This absolutely blows my mind.

As the child of a libertarian leaning parent, I was raised with the understanding that you do not need to carry ID and you do not need to produce ID.

Its generally accepted in all parts of the USA that you don't need to providee ID, but you do have to identify yourself.
It is astonishing that our relatively enlightened state of CT (at least when it comes to those kinds of liberties) has more in common with Nazi Germany (papers please??) than our founders' vision.

One thing your case citations have made me realize is that if I'm not carrying a gun or driving, should not carry an ID. I can't be cited for not providing what I don't have with me.

Based on your post a couple of weeks ago, I did not bring any ID when I went out shooting my AR15 and M11/9 sub machine gun this past weekend.

Don

Poll: OK to trade some freedoms to fight terrorism

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110906/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_sept11_civil_liberties_poll

"47 percent favor requiring all people in the U.S. to carry a national ID card and provide it to authorities upon demand."

I guess half of America is OK with "Your papers please." :banghead:

KIX

I wait until asked.

They often use it as a gateway to search your vehicle, proper or not.

Jonathan