• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email conversation with CSP Detective Anuszewski

Rich B

This was in response to a CSP response to question posted here: http://ctshooting.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19235#19235
The Detective has so far ignored my questions to him.

Rich B said:
Detective,
It was reported to me recently that you informed a citizen of this state that open carry "isnt legal or illegal, It's a grey area, and he said it comes down if the LEO wants to try and arrest you for breach of peace or disorderly".

I would like to know what statute(s) you are obtaining your information from. There is no reference to concealing firearms anywhere in the CGS, and neither disorderly conduct or breach of peace apply to the proper, holstered carry of a firearm either concealed or in the open. I am unable to point to a single incident where a citizen (say in the last 5 years) was arrested and convicted of either charge for the simple holstered carry of a firearm.

The DPS has stated this previously (see attached document "DPS memo.pdf") when giving advice to the CSP.

The BFPE (unanimously) recognizes this as well: http://ctgunrights.com/06.Audio/Fairfield.Opencarry.Legal.MP3

- Are you telling a citizen of this state that open carry 'is not legal' and using as justification the false arrests of other citizens by rogue law enforcement?

- Is this your own personal opinion or that of the Department of Public Safety?

Thank you.
--
Rich Burgess
Ph: 203.208.9577

Rich B said:
Detective,
It has now been a full week since I first contacted you about your legal opinions given to citizens who made contact with you.

I will have to take your silence as an admission that your statements that open carry "isnt legal or illegal, It's a grey area" ... "if the LEO wants to try and arrest you for breach of peace or disorderly" is just opinion and that you lack legal references to back this assertion up.

I hope that in the future you will either refrain from providing legal advice in this manner or will give only the facts (in accordance with your oath to uphold the constitution and laws of this state and in the interest of public service):

- There is nothing in the CGS that prohibits open carry.
- No one in recent memory has been convicted of any crime for simply carrying a holstered firearm unconcealed.
- The BFPE has declared open carry legal and that arrests based on open carry are not grounds for revocation.
- The Connecticut State Police are in receipt of a memo from the DPS that states open carry is legal and to not arrest, harass, ID or detain anyone for simply carrying an unconcealed firearm.

Thank you,
Rich Burgess
Ph: 203.208.9577