• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho driver says Ore. police capt. showed weapon

oldbanger

ecocks

Hmmm, you are the same guys who believe in the Constitution thingy right?

Innocent until proven guilty, due process and all that old-fashioned stuff?

Of course, it seems extreme to brandish the firearm while rolling on a public road. That would be inappropriate in a marked car in his own jurisdiction for pulling over someone for a traffic stop much less being in another state.

BTW, I would not be expecting to "spend the night in jail" if I was cited for misdemeanor brandishing. Felony menacing would be a different story of course, but not simple "brandishing". He has some witnesses in his car, no mention of how many were in the other guy's vehicle, more to the story I am sure, so let's not overstate or over-react to the situation.

He's a simple citizen with a CWL (although he's under administrative punishment at his place of employment) accused of brandishing and it seems to be running its course as far as I am concerned.

DocWalker

Of course, it seems extreme to brandish the firearm while rolling on a public road. That would be inappropriate in a marked car in his own jurisdiction for pulling over someone for a traffic stop much less being in another state.

BTW, I would not be expecting to "spend the night in jail" if I was cited for misdemeanor brandishing. Felony menacing would be a different story of course, but not simple "brandishing". He has some witnesses in his car, no mention of how many were in the other guy's vehicle, more to the story I am sure, so let's not overstate or over-react to the situation.

He's a simple citizen with a CWL (although he's under administrative punishment at his place of employment) accused of brandishing and it seems to be running its course as far as I am concerned.

At the minimum it was VERY VERY poor judgement. He should be held accountable but will probably skate.

As a police Capt. no less he could have called ISP, 911, of showed his badge but not his gun. Wait showing his gun would have been exposure; I mean his weapon. "This is my weapon...this is my gun....this is for fighting....and this is for fun.

ManInBlack

We never said he was guilty; only noted that he was not arrested, which is typical in cases where police are charged with crimes that citizens would be arrested for.

I wouldn't expect to spend the night in jail for brandishing either, but it is more than likely that I, as a mere citizen, would be charged with felony aggravated assault, and then the prosecutor may or may not have reduced it to brandishing.

Gunslinger

Do you honestly think 'you' would have just driven away in this situation? His department takes it seriously enough to change his duty status. That should tell you something.

ecocks

Do you honestly think 'you' would have just driven away in this situation? His department takes it seriously enough to change his duty status. That should tell you something.

As I plainly said, charged with simple, misdemeanor "brandishing", yes.

Most every department I have heard of routinely reassigns officers under investigation until they are cleared, reprimanded, fired or indicted.

hermannr

And the lesson learned is:

Keep your cool when your are driving, driving and carrying, or just carrying. It isn't worth it.

The real dangerous thing here is allowing your emotions to run away with your common sense.

I don't know how this came about, but the only time I ever "displayed" (if you want to call it that) my weapon was in a road rage insident. The guy tried to push me off the road, so I pulled over to let him by. He pulled in behind me, jumped out of his truck and jerked my door open and wanted to fight....all of a sudden he had better things to do...wonder if the Colt (still in it's holster, but very visible) had anything to do with his quick change of mind?

Anyway, we don't know if this Portland Police officer was like me? or if he was the guy pulling the other guys door open? or if he just pointed it out of the window while driving down the road? or whatever? correct??? Until we hear "the rest of the story", I, for one, am willing to withhold judgement.