• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC BAN! Rock Hill is next.

mspgunner

Missouri: Open Carry Under Attack In Rock Hill!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Call Your Alderman and Urge Them to Vote NO to The Ban!

An ordinance was introduced at last week’s Rock Hill Board of Aldermen meeting which would ban the open carry of firearms in the city of Rock Hill. Currently, city municipal code allows those who possess a valid concealed carry permit to also carry their firearm openly. The proposal introduced this week, if adopted, would amend the existing law and put an end to the practice of openly carrying a firearm for self-defense in Rock Hill. A vote on the matter is expected to take place at the next meeting on Tuesday, September 6, so it is very important that you contact your Alderman TODAY and urge him or her to oppose this proposed measure.

Concealed carry laws will not be affected by this amendment since, according to Missouri’s preemption laws, cities only have the authority to regulate open carry and not concealed carry. However, it is still important to call your Alderman and ensure that your voice is heard by urging the Board members to respect your right to carry a firearm openly! Contact information for the Board of Alderman can be found below.

Rock Hill Board of Aldermen:

Alderwoman Chris Graber
(314) 962-7486
cgraber@rockhillmo.net

Alderman Ed Johnson
(314) 962-3165
ejohnson@rockhillmo.net

Alderman Edward Mahan
(314) 918-1218
emahan@rockhillmo.net

Alderman Philip Scherry
(314) 485-9686
pscherry@rockhillmo.net

Alderwoman Mary Wofford
(314) 962-5723
mwofford@rockhillmo.net

Alderman Robert Weider
(314) 918-1147
rweider@rockhillmo.net

REALteach4u

We need to get these senseless OC bans immediate attention in the legislature as well as by the MOAG's office. They are in fact regulating CCW law by banning OC. No way around it.

Folks could start using the approach with the MOAG and legislators that if any entity exercises the 1984 OC regulatory law that they must then foot the ENTIRE bill for the residents for their jurisdiction to obtain CCW permits: class, background check fee, the card itself, and all renewal costs therin. Not from the public coffers either, it MUST come from the direct personal pockets of those enacting the ban.

I'm not sure how it should be done or if it would even work, but can we get these OC-ban locales on a Nation-wide boycott list?

Last edited:

45 Carry

I won't be able to be there but I thought someone could use this letter or part there of to address the city counsel.

I’m addressing the council in reference to the proposal to ban Open Carry of firearms. There was a recent article in the Webster Kirkwood times about how “A slip-up in the language in Rock Hill's concealed carry ordinance could have allowed those so inclined to tote their weapons in plain sight.”

That loophole affects Olivette, Ellisville and Rock Hill. City representatives say they are not trying to take away gun owner's rights, they just want the law the way it was originally intended

This reminds me of - Space invaders. Those who stand too close, consuming space, energy, oxygen and time. For instance, the Missouri Municipal League influencing knee jerk reactions in municipalities in the case at hand.

This practice (open carry of weapons) may cause concern for some but has not been shown to be problem causing except for those practicing that behavior.

After all the Missouri Constitution states and I believe all of you wish to follow the constitution, correct, Mr. Martin and the elected officials who employ you. The constitution is not wrong, and infers the right to openly carry a weapon,

it states,

Missouri Constitution
Article I
BILL OF RIGHTS
Section 23

August 28, 2010

Right to keep and bear arms--exception.
Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

Amendment II A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

xdmcompact

This is a response from Alderman Philip Scherry, his response tells me they do not care that a criminal will not obey the law, they want to restrict the legal citizen. They have to protect the criminals so their police force has a reason to exist, by criminalizing the legal citizen:

Thank you for your opinion. I am taking all input into consideration.
Just so you know, open carry has been banned in the City of Rock Hill for many years. This is an update to the wording dealing with concealed carry. It can currently be interpreted that those with a concealed carry license are allowed to open carry as well. I don't believe that was the original intent of that regulation put in place 8 years ago.

mspgunner

This is a response from Alderman Philip Scherry, his response tells me they do not care that a criminal will not obey the law, they want to restrict the legal citizen. They have to protect the criminals so their police force has a reason to exist, by criminalizing the legal citizen:

Thank you for your opinion. I am taking all input into consideration.
Just so you know, open carry has been banned in the City of Rock Hill for many years. This is an update to the wording dealing with concealed carry. It can currently be interpreted that those with a concealed carry license are allowed to open carry as well. I don't believe that was the original intent of that regulation put in place 8 years ago.

You and I were the only ones to show up and speak, unfornae. I let Mr. Martin know what i tought of his "mission" to prohibit OC. Most of what i said in 3 minutes was positive and informative. I did not stick around for the "vote", time was not on my side. I know how it will go, we can probably the get the results from their web [age or if xdmcompact stuck around...

xdmcompact

You and I were the only ones to show up and speak, unfornae. I let Mr. Martin know what i tought of his "mission" to prohibit OC. Most of what i said in 3 minutes was positive and informative. I did not stick around for the "vote", time was not on my side. I know how it will go, we can probably the get the results from their web [age or if xdmcompact stuck around...

The vote was a tie three voted yes three voted no, the Mayor was the deciding vote. He voted to ban open carry. I was asked a few questions by a lady forgot her name, From the Patch about Open carry. I directed her to OCDO for answers to any questions she didn't ask me.

Last edited:

Tony4310

I would of come, but my wife had the car last night while she was baby sitting at the last minute.

Walt_Kowalski

work with your state legislators to get state wide preemption like we do in VA, and then local idiots can not make ordinances like this. How are you supposed to track what town has what laws regarding OC :/

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Really sucked I got jammed up at work, I wanted to make it. I was not going to use the full three mins, simply a keep it short and sweet. My time has been invested in olivette and I have a lot to say at that one, I did not want to shoot it all out for him to counter before olivette.

Just wish I could have gotten out of here.

mspgunner

Really sucked I got jammed up at work, I wanted to make it. I was not going to use the full three mins, simply a keep it short and sweet. My time has been invested in olivette and I have a lot to say at that one, I did not want to shoot it all out for him to counter before olivette.

Just wish I could have gotten out of here.

As you and I know my friend, anything you say here the bad guys see as well. For those who do not know the folks who are against us read this forum, hands down no doubt. There for do not post what "we are going to do or say". If you do, we just tipped them off.
That's why although I go to these City scum bag council meetings I don't post what I said or what I'm going to say.
Also, it's best NOT to post anyhting to do with legislative ideas or possible legal action. DO THIS ONLY THROUGH PMs with people you know, other wise it's a total waste of time and does more harm than good.

kylemoul

well if a kid is walking down the sidewalk with a baseball bat, golf club, hockey stick, a metal pole, you know someone could "steal it and do something bad with it"
i think we need to ban all of those things too.